Hmmm, N501-8A crossovers and 811b horns (not sure what h.f. driver he's using). What's wrong with this picture? :(
Rare ALTEC Pair Roller Cabinet 416-8A Speaker 811B Horn Tested Smooth | eBay
Printable View
Hmmm, N501-8A crossovers and 811b horns (not sure what h.f. driver he's using). What's wrong with this picture? :(
Rare ALTEC Pair Roller Cabinet 416-8A Speaker 811B Horn Tested Smooth | eBay
DIY cabs, so who knows?
GM
That's what I was thinking. When I said "what's wrong with this picture" I wasn't referring to the photograph, I was speaking metaphorically. Someone put all that money and time into building those speaker systems and used 811b horns with a 500 hz crossover--that can't be good can it?
FWIW, the compression drivers have one piece cast bodies, probably tangerines too. If those old style covers are original to them, it's rare that we don't see a part number stamped on the cover, and not all that common to find those old style covers on the new style cast drivers.
It's possible that they just used the N501 chassis' on which to build their own DIY network.Quote:
used 811b horns with a 500 hz crossover--that can't be good can it?
However, since the horns have foilcals it's probably more likely that a dealer sold a customer what he had in stock rather than a "proper" kit.
You mean a dealer may have been more interested in making a quick/convenient buck than selling the customer what will work better/properly? Mercy! ;)
EDIT: Fortunately, most pro audio dealers I've done business with really wanted my repeat business and word of mouth promotion so they've been for the most part very up front and ethical......