what is a good amp to use with a7s w 416z and 902 or 806 8as
i'm really leaning towards a sansui 717 because i like the sound, its a solid 85 wpc, and thats about all i can afford. my little brother says he has the tube amps that were running the altecs in the church auditorium i grew up listening to. but who knows if they even work. i'm getting the picture it doesn't take a lot of "wattage" to get results. as long as the supply has the ass to back it up. any suggestions in the 3-400$ range?
Re: what is a good amp to use with a7s w 416z and 902 or 806
What kind of tube amps......
Re: what is a good amp to use with a7s w 416z and 902 or 806
1-3 watts will get stuff moving. I'm running 90 watt Harman Kardon. Sansui's are supposed to be pretty nice amps. If your brother is offering I wouldn't turn down the tubes, unless he wants an arm and a leg for them.
Re: what is a good amp to use with a7s w 416z and 902 or 806
Re: what is a good amp to use with a7s w 416z and 902 or 806
Any reason not to use an Altec 9444A? That's what I use connected directly to my DVD player. I don't have A7s, However.
Re: what is a good amp to use with a7s w 416z and 902 or 806
looking at ebay it looks like i can get a 9444b for the same price as the 9441 16 metal transisters sound like a great idea. :)
- - - Updated - - -
looking around the real pisser is, half the ones with free shipping are less than ten miles from my house. :P
Re: what is a good amp to use with a7s w 416z and 902 or 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Phil-G
looking at ebay it looks like i can get a 9444b......
The 9444A is the one to get, Though. The B supposedly doesn't sound as good. I don't know the details on why.
Re: what is a good amp to use with a7s w 416z and 902 or 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Audio_by_Goodwill
Any reason not to use an Altec 9444A? That's what I use connected directly to my DVD player. I don't have A7s, However.
I was simply trying to keep within his budget at a power level similar to the AU-717.
IMO&E, the preamp will be the component that's hardest to get right in terms of sound quality. Choose a crappy preamp, and you get crappy sound no matter what you use for an amplifier.
When you can find them, a Soundcraftsmen DX-4000 is a stellar preamp that sells way under the radar in terms of performance. It's one caveat that was finally a deal breaker for me was the lack of a loudness contour when late night listening.
Re: what is a good amp to use with a7s w 416z and 902 or 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Audio_by_Goodwill
The 9444A is the one to get, Though. The B supposedly doesn't sound as good. I don't know the details on why.
Let me guess: because someone said so one day, put it in writing and it became gospel.