OT: Need a little help with adding subwoofers
Ok, need a little help here. I need to start adding subwoofers to 4 sets of speakers, and am looking for an electronic low pass filter but alas, none exist.
Right know I am trying to add a pair of Alpine SWR 1040D subs, powered by a Crown DC300A amp next to my Altec 418-8H II (F3 = 44hz), 807-8d/32B, crossed over with a N501-8A. Down the road I could add more subs and more watts as needed.
I realize that the 500hz crossover isn’t optimal for the 32B horn and would like to eventually cross at something like 1000hz, so I’m torn between a car audio low pass crossover or some pro sound one.
Alpine SWR 1041D http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products..._SWR-1241D.PDF
Pyramid CR66 Pyramid - CR66 - Electronic Low Pass Crossover
NADY CX-22SW 12db/octave http://www.nady.com/manuals/audio/cx22sw.pdf
Berhinger CX3210 24db/ octave Behringer: SUPER-X PRO CX2310
The Peavey T300, Altec A7-500, and EV Sentry IV II all just need a low pass crossover and more bottom end.
What to do? And did I mention cheap?
WinIST screen shots to come shortly when I get everything sorted out.
Re: OT: Need a little help with adding subwoofers
You should consider the dayton 12" sub like I bought. Adjustable from 40 to 140 hz you can't even get it past half way on the volume. It works very nice. Hard to set but it works very nice. shakes my house like a rottweiler with a rag doll. $120.00
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer 300-629
Re: OT: Need a little help with adding subwoofers
Re: OT: Need a little help with adding subwoofers
Stay away from car stereo crap like pyramid.
Out of all you mentioned the Behringer is the only one I would consider. A lot of used pro stuff, mostly American made, is out there. I'd look there.
Why not get a small horn amp and go 3 way active?
Re: OT: Need a little help with adding subwoofers
Re: OT: Need a little help with adding subwoofers
our altecs are very efficient so you will need lots of sub to compete. the rane active crossovers only go down to 70 hz..meanining your sub will play the first two octaves. where as the ashly crossover will cross over from 40 hz. a two way ashly is about a hundred bucks, plus the additional amp
Re: OT: Need a little help with adding subwoofers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
valhallax
our altecs are very efficient so you will need lots of sub to compete. the rane active crossovers only go down to 70 hz..meanining your sub will play the first two octaves. where as the ashly crossover will cross over from 40 hz. a two way ashly is about a hundred bucks, plus the additional amp
It's funny I have looked many times for subs, that would work well with Altecs, it seems there is very little info on this subject.... I would love to hear some results of people using DIY subs with Altecs handling 40hz and down for music in some reasonable sized boxes....
Re: OT: Need a little help with adding subwoofers
i got a velodyne sub at goowill that looks like i can set it from 120 down to 40. for whatever thats worth.
Re: OT: Need a little help with adding subwoofers
Like valhalex said Altecs are very efficient. You don't want a muddy bass resonance.Even Bass instruments have overtones up to 3 KHZ.
Here is a picture with perfect integration.This picture is from Melaudia Forum.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc.../2013/05/1.jpg
Re: OT: Need a little help with adding subwoofers
Thanks for the replies guys, it gives me a lot to think about. These Alpines have 85 db sensitivity at one watt/one meter with 300 watts RMS of which at the moment I don't have the power. I don't know how to calculate Alpines to the Altecs as far as the number needed and don't necessarily need to use those speakers for the next pair. I want to do distributed bass and add as many subs as necessary. I also don't know what the best slopes would be for subs, nor the best crossover frequency. Really, I don't know anything. Too bad this is going to cost a lot of coin. :)
Also, I am chomping at the bit to hook up my refurbished Crown DC300A and newly acquired Soundcraftsman preamp. I still have to drive 50 miles down to the lake cabin to get the patch cords to hook them up.
Edit; I have looked at the Art crossover and it is also in the running.