Last year, sources of cheaper crossover capacitors were mentioned in a thread or two, motor-run and lighting types included.
I can't remember which threads and can't find them searching the AUB site.
Appreciate any help
Printable View
Last year, sources of cheaper crossover capacitors were mentioned in a thread or two, motor-run and lighting types included.
I can't remember which threads and can't find them searching the AUB site.
Appreciate any help
I have used both lighting type and motor run. The lighting type look identical to motor runs except mine had a resistor mounted between the terminals. Its important when buying that type of cap that the manufacturer puts it on the outside. If the resistor is on the inside it is no good for audio.
This place has Aerovox oil caps cheap. I bought some from here. Limited cap values here but good prices
Oil HID Lighting Capacitors | 1000Bulbs.com
I have used the Genteq brand of motor run caps with success. There is a company on ebay, out of Texas, that sells them for 8 bucks each. They have almost every size. They will combine shipping on multiple caps.
Thanks for the link, the local electronic surplus store's prices have gotten out of hand, full price for "surplus" caps.
Thanks for the link. Also at the same site:
Dry HID Lighting Capacitors | 1000Bulbs.com
I haven't tried their dry caps. They are probably similar to the poly caps that everyone is using.
I would bet those are a little "brighter" than the oil caps.
Instead of the cheapest caps , does anyone here know of the best possible sounding caps we can use in our ALTEC crossovers?
What are they?
Have you a really good-sounding cap, you have heard, that you use, and LIKE a lot the way it sounds ( and not what it costs )??
I am getting old, and my time available to listen to the cheapest is well behind me. Who has what they think is THE BEST sounding cap ?? That information should be of value for those of us who strive for absolute faithful fidelity, with ALTEC components.
Post your ideas on what you have auditioned, gents.
Thanks,
Low Ohms .... Jeff Medwin
jeff,
the title of this thread kinda gives away the content. at this point your preference for more expensive products has no bearing on this discussion. I would think that at your age you would have the discretion hold your opinion for a more timely occasion.
I agree with Phil. This thread is about the best value capacitor for the dollar. Someone could start a different thread about the most expensive, or money is no object capacitor.
If you are looking for cheap caps, go here..
Alibaba Manufacturer Directory - Suppliers, Manufacturers, Exporters & Importers
And here...
All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices
And here...
CapacitorWorld | Electrolytic Capacitors & Film Capacitors
You will have to dig to find the values / voltage you want.
.......GC