2 Attachment(s)
Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help
This speaker is for sale in a city south of me. The ID badge is missing and I can't identify the exact model number. The replacement cone has a number that matches that used for 416/515 speakers, but, as you can see, it is a rear-vented speaker. Seems it would be a musical instrument speaker, but which model number?
Attachment 3424
Attachment 3425
Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help
Suggestions from another site indicate that it might be a 921.
Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by
gdmoore28
Suggestions from another site indicate that it might be a 921.
Too much magnet/motor, i think.
Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help
Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help
Looks like a set of 921's that I picked up in a trade. Not sure what I'll ever do with them though. That was before I realized that they were for music reinforcement and not HiFi.
BillWojo
Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help
It's a series II 421 with the frame poorly sprayed charcoal. Look closely at the OP's pic of the frame. That would be the crappiest charcoal paint i ever saw from Altec, and the first with white paint under it.
Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help
I can't figure out why someone would go to all the work of repainting the frame. Masking everything off would be a royal PIA. Not doubting you Bowtie, you already forgot more about Altecs than I'll ever know.
BillWojo
Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by
BillWojo
I can't figure out why someone would go to all the work of repainting the frame. Masking everything off would be a royal PIA. Not doubting you Bowtie, you already forgot more about Altecs than I'll ever know.
BillWojo
Most likely done at the time of re-cone. I'm not sure why they did it on this one, but i suspect so as to represent it as something it's not.
Those 421's used to go real cheap if damaged or dead. Some were sacrificed for their 16 inch baskets. After you collect a couple dead 604C, D or E, you only need mask the front plates of both the HF and LF, then spray the whole deal charcoal hammertone prior to sending to GPA for re-coning and re-charging. You can get 604-8G foilcals on ebay. If you do a good job nobody will ever know.
There are at least a few pairs out there, as well as some 515B's whose motors have been moved to large frames.
Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help
I think its cool how you can take different frames and motors and make something. Ever since Bowtie explained this to me it has changed the way I look a damaged drivers.
Like if I could find a 15" 515b with a damaged frame, I could slap a 16" 421 frame on it and make it a 16" 515b. To match the orphan I have.
You can get blown 16" 421's for dirt cheap. I picked up a pair for 20$ once.
The sad thing is, as woofers they sound pretty good. I had a pair of 421H that Gordon W reconed as franken416's. I used them in my A7 cabs and they sounded pretty damn good.
Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help
On mix and match. A lot of us have 421s, high or low versions. I wonder if a surround change could extend the LF into subwoofer territory?