Originally Posted by
zelgall
Not to dispute those who have more experience and knowledge of this topic than I do but...
I have never heard an audible ringing that others say is the main downfall of the 511 / 811. It may be something that needs to be pointed out to be heard consistently. I damped mine with duct seal and that stopped any ringing that occurs when they are tapped when free standing. When they are cabinet mounted, there is very little ringing noticeable. Another option is to not tap them as music does not seem to create the ringing.
I found that there is an audible improvement (that I have no idea how to measure) when the inner weld spatters are filed smooth and the groove between the two halves is filled and sanded. I used Bondo and a round file to do this. This simple change produced a much smoother upper mid and high freq when compared to a pair of stock 811's. It's repeatable and I've switched between them several times with similar results.
I have the filled and smoothed pair of 811's as well as a pair with the vanes cut out (no audible change) and 2 stock pairs of 811's as well as 2 pair of stock 511's. The filled and smoothed pair are in Model 19's with 416-8B's and slightly modified crossovers.
My thoughts are to fill the interior grooves, sand them smooth and repaint the horns. I believe it's the best sound I've got from the 811 and if done right, it's reversible if you don't like it.