-
Flying the Altec 19
Did Altec ever supply commercial hardware to fly the Altec 19? Or were you left to your own devices? I know they were often flown inverted in nightclubs. I'm just curious if there was a factory approved method besides the dreaded eye hooks which I wouldn't even consider using.
-
Re: Flying the Altec 19
1/4-20 eye bolts were Altec's recommendation.
Dropbox - Altec Pro Speaker Systems - Simplify your life
I agree, i wouldn't do it that way. My fear is of the top section coming loose from the base portion of the cabinet.
The 19 cabinet is hardly well built enough to be flown that way. Although, if you put a 3/16 x 1 inch steel strap all the way around the cabinet in the vertical aspect such that at least 2 of the eye bolts go thru the strap, it should be strong enough to take anything most buildings can withstand.
-
Re: Flying the Altec 19
Thanks for the link. That picture definitely violates the first law of Altec Cabinets, "Do No Harm".
So if Altec didn't provide hardware then you would either have to build your own solution or adapt some generic hardware. I think I would follow along the lines you suggested. Maybe pull the horn and add more bolts securing the two cabinets further. And then fly them inverted like in your picture using a strap encircling the waist between the upper and lower cabinets with protruding attachment points or even a perf plate along the two sides.
-
Re: Flying the Altec 19
I would put the strap around them the other way, such that it supports the total cabinet weight without relying on any of the cabinet's structural integrity for that purpose.
Take a look at the hardware on this A700XLF cabinet to get an idea of what i mean:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ro/1993-32.JPG
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc.../2006/07/3.jpg
-
Re: Flying the Altec 19
Not to change the subject, but man do those A800 speakers look cool. I assume they have a 1.4? driver behind the horn? I googled them and saw some pics of one loaded with a 604 also. So a 3 way I assume. They seem pretty rare.
-
Re: Flying the Altec 19
I was watching " The Angel" on Netflix, when the main character, Ashraf Marwan, is in class, you can see a pair of 19's or 15's ( my money is on 19's) being flown at the front of the class room/lecture hall.
But time wise/period correctness, it seems that they set guys got the period wrong. I thought the 19's came out around the mid/late 70's, but the time when the main character is in class, it's the early 70's.....