Anybody know where this film might be available for purchase? I've gone over the M2K site a couple of times, but my french isn't so hot and I'm wondering if there's a way I can order it.
For that matter, has anybody seen it?
Printable View
Anybody know where this film might be available for purchase? I've gone over the M2K site a couple of times, but my french isn't so hot and I'm wondering if there's a way I can order it.
For that matter, has anybody seen it?
That reminds me:
I've also been looking for Martin Scorsese's "italianamerican", the VHS version that has "The Big Shave" included, as well as any of his other early shorts. Anybody have these in their collection?
You can't purchase it for the moment ,it's actually in all MK2 theaters .
matt
Oh, good: then there is still a chance it might be released theatrically here.
Why not ,but it would be very suprising : very very few french movies are import in USA ...
matt
Well, very few are imported that end up showing in the same Cineplex 4000 as "Dude, where's my talent...?" and the like.
But more than a couple end up in small, three and four screen venues. You just have to track them down (and in my case, drive 60 miles to a decent theatre)...
now i'm confused - i thought josh polonski was an american film...
Sorry ,dogstarman ,I speak without knowing .Just that ,from here (france) ,we're just informed about the "re-done" of our stupidest comedies like "My father ,ce heros" or "true lies" (originaly "la totale" ) .Sometimes I just find strange that the most famous french filmmaker is Jean Luc Godard when almost nobody has seen his movies ( maybe except the commercial "A bout de souffle " )...
Redrice : Josh Polonski is a french movie shoot in NYC with american actors
Matt
You forgot The Messenger, which nobody saw.
Anyway, my big problem with Godard is his editing style and pacing. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned Martin Scorsese and Goodfellas. You know how Goodfellas kind of jumps around (Casino, as well), first you're here, then you're there... the freezeframes, where everything stops and Henry Hill says "OK, now this guy gets killed, but I'm gonna' tell you about this now...". If you watch something like Breathless, Godard is really using these tactics in their infancy. He's using a lot of jump cuts, and voice-over, and he is breaking up the film into almost little vignetees (Like in Masculine/ Feminine, he actually devides the film into numbered "chapters", marked with #'ed title cards that look like round cards in a boxing match...)
The problem I have with Godard is that- while with Scorsese, these tactics all come together to give you a rounded understanding of the characters and story (there's not much of a plot)- Godard seems to get lost in his own tangle of unconnected scenes that don't really go anywhere. I mean, most of his films have plots (sort of) but alot of his films center (like Tarantino's) on dialog rather than action, and alot of that dialog doesn't move the story AT ALL. So you have these scenes of dialog that often come out roughly hacked together, and the plot seems to get lost in the mess. I was reading something once- might have been Godard on Godard or something similar- where he said that his original cut of Breathless (his first feature not self financed) was something like 165 minutes, or something close to that. The released version of the film runs like 93 minutes or something. Anyway, he said in order to get the running length down, he just started randomly cutting out things (he may have been lying, he did that a lot). Maybe I'm crazy, but if you can "randomly cut" 75 minutes out of your film, if 75 minutes of it is expendable, and it doesn't radicallly effect the structure, then I have to ask myself if any of it is of any value...
Just my thoughts
[This message has been edited by dogstarman (edited August 08, 2001).]
Speaking of Godard and Scorsese:
Scorsese's fisrt feature, Who's That Knocking At My Door, bears a LOT of resemblence to Godard's early films (like Breathless), but I think it's much better. Both films were shot on B&W 35mm, both have a very "raw", unpolished feel to them, and both have technical flaws that seperate them from "studio" productions (Godard's has less, but he had more and better editing equpment to play with). Scorsese's film just seems more honest and personal, while the characters in Breathless are VERY flat and unfathomable.