-
Because I still think the model based special effects used in films such as Blade Runner and Aliens look fantastic, I thought it would be cool to make a little experimental sequence of my own. I want to shoot a sequence where the camera tracks along the body of a large space ship (like the sequence with the sulaco in Aliens).
I have managed to concoct a pretty decent looking "space" background. I am going to have to make the model myself, and I havent even made a model kit since I was about 14 so I hope its not too laughable.
Anyway I was wondering if any of you have any tips for working in minature, and tricking your audience as to the scale of what is being photographed. Chas I know you sort of will, having worked extensively and successfully with GI Joes!! Anyway I hope some of you will have tips on this subject, although I guess its not something everyone will have done before.
Thanks,
Alex (the English one)
-
Hi, UK-Alex!
I've done a ton of special effects space stuff. See the AVI clips in the "gallery" at:
http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html
Depending on the kind of camera you are using, the biggest problem will be depth of field. Your ship really needs to be in the range of about 4 feet in length with detail appropriate for that size. Shoot with the widest lens you have and you will still need to stop down to at least f11; the more the better, so that everything will stay in focus.
The reason is that, if you were really in space shooting something that large, even if your camera lens was wide open (which it wouldn't be, anyway) the ship would still effectively be at infinity if you are seeing most of it and not some small detail like a single hatch or something. In such a situation, you would have depth of field out the wa-zoo and everything would be in focus.
In 16mm (there's that word, again), I typically end up using exposures of about 3 seconds per frame using a capping shutter at f22. In super 8, you do have a depth of field advantage shooting with something like a 9mm lens or less. However, zoom lenses are typically not great close focusing items and you will really need to stop down. You might consider shooting outside on a cloudless, sunny day. Kind of odd, but you can't beat the sun for realistic lighting. The Lydecker brothers shot all their sunlit stuff outside during the 40's and 50's. Terrific miniatures. Always perfect looking and believable. Hope this helps!
Roger
-
Alex GRegg!
YOur camera (Nizo 801 Macro) should be suited for that!
Let me know if you need some modeling tips, my Dad is a master at that stuff, I'll relay the messages to him.
Take care
Scott
-
Excellent,
Thanks a lot, both of you!
-
moviestuff, I really like your miniature work! I got distracted by the exploding house though!
Cheers,
Alex.
-
Yeah, those were excellent!
That is amazing how real it looks with the truck/spaceship blending in with the background.
Scott
-
Thanks, guys!
I am the worlds' worst webmaster. I'm sure there are ways to get better resolution movie clips but I just haven't had the time to devote to studying web design. Anyway, if I can be of help, please email me with any questions. I'll try and tear myself away from my ongoing battle with Alex long enough to answer a few questions. http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/wink.gif
Roger
-
Roger,
That miniature house blowing up had my attntion also..boy,do you have every kids dream job..building models..and then blowing them up..and getting paid..and lets not forget..filming them too.I have to talk one of my upcoming music video clients into paying for a SFX scene..where you can build something and blow it up..yea
Neil
JOCKO FILMS
-
Yeah, the house was for a REALLY bad movie called "Killing the Badge". I shot the miniature with a Panavision High Speed. The DP chickened out and wouldn't let me shoot with a wide angle lens up close. I had plexiglass to protect the camera but he had no experience doing things like this. Oh, well. He had no idea what depth of field was, either. Luckily, it was plenty sunny.
Incidently, the house was covered with ink jet bricks. I shot a section of the real house on 35mm still neg, then made a pattern in Photoshop. I printed out a butt load of legal size sheets of bricks which I spray mounted in place for the quick shot. Worked pretty good.
Roger
-
Roger,
did you rent from PANAVISION in Dallas..is norm B.(can't remember his last name)..still there..I directed a TV spot in Dallas..a couple of years ago..and used PANAVISION..nice folks..can't say much about the crappy camera's http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/smile.gif
Neil
SUPER8OVISION