I'm going to shoot b&w film at 24fps to create a noir look, but I was wondering by how much I should adjust the aperture from the reading on the light meter to get the exposure right.
Any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.
Printable View
I'm going to shoot b&w film at 24fps to create a noir look, but I was wondering by how much I should adjust the aperture from the reading on the light meter to get the exposure right.
Any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.
you're losing 25% in exposure time, so make a quarter stop adjustment to get the same exposure as 18fps.
Thanks,
I've just been looking at my camera further, it's a Chinon 310 Pacific, and I can't find a dial that sets the film speed (eg 40ASA etc). Does this mean that the camera does it automatically?
Hi,
The super 8 cartridges have a notch (more wider when it contains ISO 200/160 film) who allows your cine camera to detect automatically if the cartridge contains ISO 40/25 or ISO 200/160 film.
Hope this helps,
Carlos
If you cameras light meter is working then you do not have to make any adjustments. ASA is set automatically with cartridge insertion. Before shooting anything important I would do a test roll to make sure everthing comes out correct.
Set your meter to the ASA you are shooting--Then set it to the frame rate you are shooting(24fps) and go. All should be well and good I assume that you camera has a 180 degree shutter.
When Projecting our film on a projector, you can pretty much trust the exposure meter when shooting your film, unless you have backlight that may fool the exposure into underexposing...(backlight means a lightsource from behind the actors who are facing the camera, backlight can lead to unwanted glare on the lens, but it can make pretty highlights on your subject)
If you are planning to transfer your developed film to video using Rank-Cintel Technology, I recommend over-exposing between 1/2 to 2/3 of a stop when you shoot your film.
Overexpose by 1 to 1/2 stops for backlit shots when you will be transferring on a Rank.
-Alex
[This message has been edited by Alex (edited June 27, 2001).]