-
Hi, all!
As I mentioned in a related post, I have a field recorder that I am in the process of finishing up for use with any super 8 camera for synch sound shooting. The unit will ultimately use standard cassettes (not micro cassettes), will have manual audio gain, XLR and 1/4" mic inputs and RCA line inputs and outputs.
It will be triggered to start by the motor vibrations coming from the movie camera via a special sensor afixed to the camera exterior with double-back foam tape. A cable connects the camera to the recorder (wireless in the future). When the camera starts, the recorder starts instantly and a beep is recorded for one second. When the camera stops, the recorder stops instantly.
After film is transferred to video, the leading edge of the beep is aligned with the first frame of the associated clip. Then, by stretching or shrinking the audio, the last frame of the clip is aligned with the leading edge of the next beep. Everthing in between will be in synch. The same is done for each clip in succession, which is made easier by keeping the recorder engaged during all takes per roll, regardless of whether sound is required or not. That keeps the required sound nearby the associated clip on the timeline.
I am looking for someone to field test the unit on some small project in the near future. In exchange for their trouble, I will transfer their project's super 8 or regular 8mm footage for them gratis so that they can try out the synch process for themselves on their own NLE system. Afterwards, I can get an idea of any changes that need to be made in the design of the unit before offering it for sale to the masses. Price has yet to be determined but it will be pretty cheap, I think.
I think this unit will simplify the entire shooting process for synch sound and return the ability for inexpensive 'one man band' shooting. It will also save a ton of film since beginning and end slates are no longer necessary just to establish synch references.
Those seriously interested please email me at
[email protected]
and let me know about your project. I will pick someone that has a small project that can be finished quickly as I need to get some feedback ASAP on the unit.
Thanks!
Roger
------------------
Roger Evans
MovieStuff
http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html
-
I am astonished! Is there no one that wants a free transfer of their footage in return for field testing a new synch sound recorder?
Hel-looo!
Anyone with a small project out there?
Roger
------------------
Roger Evans
MovieStuff
http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html
-
> Anyone with a small project out there?
not right now. i shoot maybe one sync sound project on super-8 per year at the most. the other ones are silent, or on video. i'll let you know if something comes up though...
/matt
-
Well, I'm gearing up for a short, but it's a short ways off...
And, uhh... The free transfer isn't as enticing as it may once have been (how's my WP coming, anyway?) http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/wink.gif
I'm sure I could come up with a roll or two's worth of something to shoot, if you get no other takers...
------------------
Mikel Z
-
If you don't mind sending it abroad (Madrid, Spain), now you have a candidate. I've e-mailed you privately...
Ruben
------------------
-
I got another roll of K40 waiting for the second sound sync test. I could do it.
I was planning on using the Hi-8 camera to record the sound and the Nikon zoom 8 for the 24fps film. This time an actual slate will be used, bright sun full face, no green background, and a zoom gun mic, and Dwayne's to process.
How would your test impact the setup?
and how's my WP growing up?
Michael
------------------