-
on IMDB.com (internation movie database) if you search for a movie they tell you all technical information like what colour its in eg technicolor/eastman whatever and the sound mix.
Ive seen referalls to a 70 mm print, does this mean there is a 70 mm film formatt or is that something else
------------------
Jim
-
Yes, and dozens of super-8 frames reside inside each 70mm domicile.
-Alex
------------------
-
That's a good one Technicolour, I've been wondering about these different formats myself. But why is it when I watch, say, Lawrence of Arabia, on WIDESCREEN, the black bars can take up the same amount of frame on my TV as David Lynch's "The Lost Highway" (WIDESCREEN) which is a 35mm movie? Is this because of the lenses? Thanx - Chris
------------------
-
If you want a good explanation of various wide screen processes through history, check out:
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/
It also has good infor on color processes, as well.
Roger
-
70 MM wide?????
that would be a really wide picture, i though they used 35mm for widescreen
------------------
Jim
-
35mm is the standard full budget medium for all films, unless they are using a smaller format for specific effects. 70mm is called large format and yes the image is 70 (or is it 75?) mm across. It was used in vertigo. Its even more expensive than 35mm and rarely used, I think it has gone out of fashion, but I'm sure its still used for some projects though.
------------------
-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by technicolour:
70 MM wide?????
that would be a really wide picture, i thought they used 35mm for widescreen
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The negative would be wide (twice that of 35mm), but still the same (or similar) aspect ratio.
I remember watching some of the extras for "The Sound of Music" on the DVD and it mentioned that it was one of the first movies to use the 70mm negative to give better picture quality. I wonder if they projected the film in theatres with a 70mm projector or if they used a 35mm "blow down" for theatrical release. I dunno.
I would guess that production companies stopped useing 70mm in favor of 35mm for cost reasons.
Scott
------------------
-
so 70mm is just an enlargement of 35mm?
So the camera doesnt actually catch a wider amount of picture its just a larger film?
------------------
Jim
-
They use a 70mm camera, and the each film negative frame is bigger (2X), but still the same shape (or very similar).
For instance
.____
/___/ 35mm
..________
./......../ 70mm
/________/
So four 35mm frames would fit in one 70mm frame.
.._________
./____/____/
/____/____/
Anyway, you get the idea...
Scott
[This message has been edited by ulrichsd (edited August 28, 2001).]
-
yeah I get you
I was confused because i thought 70mm was like a really wide film which would capture a bigger image lenght ways.
i understand now, 35mm/70mm, same shape but different sizes, nice one
------------------
Jim