-
Hey, I just saw Citizen Kane for the first time, and I really thought it was boring. I understand how revolutionary it was--using ceilings in shots, and the breakfast montage was really great, but overall I thought it was boring. Visually, it was nice, and Welles did wonderfully, esp. it being his first time. The story bored me, and it just dragged on and on. I really didn't care if the reporter found out what Rosebud was. The AFI was just being overly pc when they chose it as teh best movie of all time (Casablanca--soooooo much better).
~Paige
-
I fail to see how something so visually suggestive where almost every scene is painted like a picture could ever be described as boring, at least if you didn't like the plot you could look at all the pretty pictures!
It's a great portrait of the American ideology and I don't think anyone here is in a position to say Orson Wells did wonderfully, what he did was wonderful, not only with the fact that it was in it's time a groundbreaking controversial masterpiece that many American's loved (not to mention the rest of the world) and the man wrote (in part), directed produced and starred in it (not bad for a first film from a 25 year old).
I'd advise any film enthusiast critic or filmmaker to afford the film more than one viewing it's just jam packed with great images and ideas.
However it's not a roller coaster ride of fun and thrills, if you want that then go watch Tomb Raider or something.
Understandably not everyone is going to like the film and indeed not everyone does, I just think that as aspiring filmmakers its one of the better films we could learn from or at least be inspired by.
We're all entitled to our opinions but, surely not boring!! Maybe a little stodgy at times.
-
Like they say: There's no accounting for taste....
------------------
Video IS a good thing, how else are we gonna know who robbed the Quik-Mart?
-
(DEEP BREATH)...No I can't do this, i'm pissed off as it is. Smokegirl you are (through gritted teeth) entitled to your opinion...perhaps you would care to suggest some masterworks I should be watching? Or maybe just something you consider good?
-
NEWS - On the March !!
cool!
RePet RePet RePet
cool!
-
What can I say.
We are the MTV generation.
-
-
MTV makes me wanna smoke crack...If this is my generation then to hell with it...
-
"Citizen Kane" obviously isn't going to thrill you like "The Matrix" of any other special effects saturated flick of today but in it's own way it speaks volumes toward the art of filmmaking.
It's a slower and more intellectual film then most of the premeire films today, you have to sit and watch, listen and *gasp* pay attention to the film.
Since it's slower and requires people to think some may discribe it as boring but to me it's art, pure and simple.
Though, like 2001, it grows on you with repetitive viewings
------------------
Thousanth
THOUSANTH ENTERTAINMENT
AND PRODUCTIONS.
"A good director elevates his film above all limitations placed on it...above its genre, script, acting and production. A good director IS the film."
-
She said the movie was boring. That's all. She also pointed out that Casablanca was much better. Which in many aspects it is. What about Battleship Potemkin or Birth of a Nation? Check them out if you can get your hands on them. Both films are INCREDIBLE. Easily as good as Kane.
So get off the girls case. Don't just assume that she likes crap films.
Personally, I think that Fight Club is one of the greatest films ever made. If you don't agree and you've only watched it once... then watch it again.