-
Me and my friends recently made our first film, and we edited on Adobe Premiere 5.1. The screwed up part is that when we transfered it to VHS tape, the video came out all grany at some points. Looking kinda cheap.
Can anyone tell me why that gran effect happens? Is it because of the lighting or what? How can it be fixed. Did anyone ever have the same problem?
-Ivan
------------------
"A place for everything and everything in it's place".
-
I ment to say GRAIN not "gran" in the post.
-
Grainy video is usually just because the area filmed wasn't lit well.
But if its just grainy when you put it to VHS tape its more likely that the tape is just crap.
[This message has been edited by MatJimMood (edited August 03, 2000).]
-
The grain effect you're talking about probably came the camcorder itself. This is because most domestic camcorders "boost" the picture signal when there is not enough light. Unfortunatley on most domestic cameras you cannot control this. The best way around this problem is to make sure that whatever you're filming is properly lit. Generally using Red Head lights. These can be very expensive but can be rented from various companies.
------------------
Mark Smith
Neon Films - Low / No budget films in West Yorkshire
www.neonfilms.freeserve.co.uk
-
I'm sorry, but everytime I see the topic title, I imaging mr Macky from southpark saying
"Grain is Baaad, Mmm-Kay?"
Sorry.
Just had to have a rant.
------------------
KEEP FOCUSED!
Little Rich.
http://go.to/littlerich
www.rmsgraffix.freeserve.co.uk
[email protected]
-
Video grain means that it's under-lit (or not lit at all in a lot of cases). Many young filmmakers are lazy filmmakers.
-N. Foster Tyler
-
It isn't anything to do with being lazy.
When you first start making films it takes time to learn the technical side of things.
Even when you do its easy to forget about lighting when you're rushing around, sorting everything out on your own and you've got actors waiting.
If you read the LAminds post you'll see that its his first attempt at film making. He can learn from his mistake and get advice from the people on this board.
If you're going to reply to a post at least make sure you're being helpful.
-
I am. I just didn't candy-coat it.
-
Thanks everyone, you all helped a lot.
Another question:
Next film I'm doing with another friend we'll be using a digital camera. Does a digital camera help this problem at all. And I'll make sure to get some good lights.
[This message has been edited by LAmind (edited August 04, 2000).]
-
No a digital camera won't help with this problem. Best advise I can give is get some good lighting, and try not to pay to much attention to people that give you crap like Foster.