-
eBay has re-arranged their menu and now I can't find any super8 stuff. I used to go to www.ebay.com then click on photo-->movie-->cameras or something like that. Now "photo" is not on their front page. Anyone here learned how to navigate the new eBay?
-
Yes, it is aggrivating. Here's a link to the photo section:
http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plist...x.html?from=R4
Actually, it isn't hard to find. On the ebay home page, go to the bottom and click where it says "all ebay categories". Then go to the bottom of THAT and you'll find the photo link I just gave above.
Roger
-
Thanks. That helps a lot.
-
I noticed a very large amount of seemingly professional digital cameras for sale. Tons of GL2's and even the new Panasonic 24p. Is there a panic in the video world or what? Anyone have some thoughts. Maybe the digital video bottom is about to drop? Looks very strange.
-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Is there a panic in the video world or what?
</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know if it has anything to do with what you've observed but in the U.S. the Federal Communications Commission has ruled that at midnight December 31, 2006 the broadcast of NTSC video will cease and only HDTV will be allowed. This means that if your only access to TV is an antenna then your set is obsolete on that date. I understand that convertors are on the market for a few hundred but I have not shopped for one.
NTSC will not die on that date. It will live on in VHS, DVD and cable companies will probably offer a conversion service (at a price I bet).
But the real war between NTSC and HDTV will start by then. I think it's started already. The HDTV industry is going to push it as a comsumer medium.
It is just possible that people are starting to worry about the marketability of their NTSC material and are dumping their gear to buy HDTV.
It's another reason to shoot film.
-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Actor:
I don't know if it has anything to do with what you've observed but in the U.S. the Federal Communications Commission has ruled that at midnight December 31, 2006 the broadcast of NTSC video will cease and only HDTV will be allowed. </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hmmmm. I could be wrong but my understanding was that only DIGITAL transmission would be allowed, not necessarily that everything would be "high definition". In other words, regular RF analog transmissions would cease and would be replaced by all digital but that things would still be standard 525 line NTSC compatible with various networks and cable channels eventually switching over to HD, which is normally handled by digital. Are you sure everything is switching over to high definition all at once or is it just digital being implemented?
Roger
-
I'm not sure either, but it was my understanding that it was just digital that was required.
My guess for there being so many DV cams for sale, is this new consumer GD camera that just came out.
i'm sure lots of guys wetting their pants over it, but I'm not.
I shoot film.
Hey kids, remember when Hi-8 was touted as the new "film-killer"?
If you make a feature today on DV, in a few years, that will be considered just as cool, as if you were sitting on a Hi-8 feature now...
Matt Pacini
-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
I could be wrong but my understanding was that only DIGITAL transmission would be allowed, not necessarily that everything would be "high definition".
</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Strictly speaking that's true but it's a moot point.
Broadcasters are only required to switch to digital. But the new digital receivers are required to:
<ul type="square">[*]Detect the number of horizontal and vertical pixels.[*]Detect the frame rate, 24fps, 30fps or whatever.[*]Detect interlaced vs progressive.[*]Adjust itself accordingly. [/list]These requirements are the main reason HDTV sets are still so expensive.
If a broadcaster wanted to transmit something non-standard such as 800x600 progressive, 18 fps the receiver should be able to tell what's going on and adjust itself accordingly.
Sadly one of the things the receivers are not required to do is detect aspect ratio. A set can receive a 480x640 signal, stretch it out to 16:9 and still pass muster in spite of the distortion.
Sometime soon, if not already, all broadcasters are supposed to be simulcasting in both NTSC and digital. PBS is simulcasting in 1080i. Here in Columbus, Ohio most are simulcasting 1080i but one or two are 720p.
I'm saving up for my digital set.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 09, 2003 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Actor ]</font>
-
I'll say this much for HD, if you switch between Jay Leno and Letterman, you can sure see the difference. Leno has been shooting in HD for a number of years and you can see the fricken' pupils in his eyes and we don't even own an HD set. Letterman's show looks soft and mushy, almost like the early difference between tube and CCD cameras.
Roger
-
At least Letterman is funny! This is going to be interesting. Could be we will see a rise in "film" production. I don't know about you folks, but I don't want to spend $4,000.00 for a single chip HD camera (new JVC) that is doomed to be obsolete in two years. I really hope this panic will point low budget producers to shoot more film. They may have to to compete with HD. The project I am working on now, we considered shooting digital. But we decided to shoot film even if it took longer to do. At the end of the day, even if the project was never finished the footage shot will stand up to most any video format out there. We are in the final editing now and I see the look on faces of people as I give them a preview. You just know when something works.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 09, 2003 12:37 PM: Message edited by: rollemfilm ]</font>