-
Hello to all the Altec lovers out there! I've been mainly a JBL fan/owner for many years but have always had a great respect for the vintage Altec models. I've had a great bit of luck here recently and have acquired the 811b's,802-8g's and Thicklip 416-8A's to fill my beat up, empty enclosures. I scored an NOS-NIB pair of N1209-8A's, mistaking them for the original N1201-8a's. Kinda rusty with the Altec stuff. I couldn't wait to hear them so I installed the 09's and WOW! I fell in love with the 19's back in the early/mid 70's. When everyone was playing hooky to smoke ### or whatever, I occasionally took a day off and went to the local Altec dealer to get my kind of "fix". I've always wanted some and now that I do, the restoration of the enclosures begins. I have a question. Has anyone here tried the 09's in their M19's? The LF seems a little less than I remember but it is still awesome. I've got a huge triamped JBL system in the proper room position right now and the 19's are not getting any corner loading/reinforcement. I would think that would help a bit. I've read that the 09's use a Zobel and are not exactly right for the 19. Any thought's or suggestions? Too bad this site doesn't have a picture sharing feature, I can do quite the veneer restoration/faux graining and I'd love to share it somehow. I'd like to add that I've read some dismissive comments about Altecs elsewhere from people that also admit that they don't know the first thing about 'em! The 802-8G/811B combo is just amazing! It doesn't look like much to the casual looker but I just cannot believe my ears. SWEET SOUND. No dedicated UHF tweeter/ring radiator needed. It is so open and airy too. I have the JBL 2397 Smithhorn with large format 2441's powered by a VTL tube amp in my main system and that 802-8G/811B just knocked my socks off! There is life after JBL http://www.hostboard.com/forums/ . I will thank you in advance for any info you might provide in regard to the 09-01 sonic differences. If there is place to share photos, I'd appreciate info on that too. Regards to all, Steve G.
-
The Lansing Heritage site is a good place where photos can be posted.
I am a fan of the 19 but will be comparing them very soon to the 604 with large onken cabintes.
Can't wait, wish I could post pics.
-
No a good place for me. I don't want to get into the pitful details. Suffice it say I don't care for the administration there. It used to be cool, but no more. I'll try to find some photo sharing site and link to them. I've just bought some great looking grille cloth and will work on documenting the process and finished product. I am very interested to hear your comparison comment between the 604's and the 19's. I've seen one pair of the Onken enclosures, they're a cool design. Thanks for the comments and advice.
-
Steve,
User "gamalot" turned me on to www.photobucket.com - here's a a few samples of images I stored out there, the first is my brand new 515-8LF's from Bill at GPA, and the others are my latest crossover projects, the N801-8A & rebuild of a Santana crossover for use in other 800hz crossover applications, Dave.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2006/10/12.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2007/08/12.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc.../2007/08/9.jpg
-
Thank you for that Dave! It was sure nice talking with you on the tele. Extremely friendly folks here. I will no be able to share my restoration with all that care to see. I'm gonna work on the grilles today, it should be interesting. the M19's "3D" type frame is a real tough one to get that factory fit and finish. Stay tuned. here are the beat up enclosures with and without the drivers. I've got to install bases. I found some upholster's vinal that has a simular grain pattern as the black piece seperating the top and bottom sections of the M19. I'll use hardwood and cover them in that to give them a little extra nice touch.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc.../2006/10/8.jpg
[IMG]
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r142/mrgonzomeep/Altec19restobegins10-18-06001.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc.../2006/10/9.jpg
-
Who said you can't post pics here!
Nice job guys and what we need to remember is pics take up lots of bandwidth so host them elsewhere and just attach the links here so we are not clogging up this site.
I get wood just looking at those 19 cabinets!
Gary
-
HHHMMMMMMMMM,,,now I know why you refer to yourself as Mr.Gonzo.
-
Thanks Bolt', My name is Steve Gonzales, hence the Mr Gonzo, but I guess you could interpret it another way too http://www.hostboard.com/forums/ Memebers: I need one single grille fastener ( the grille side piece). I am willing to pay or trade for ? Thanks.
-
I meant Member's not memebers-sorry
-
Steve, thanks for posting pics of the Model 19 w/o drivers. I am planning to build some clones and all I have are plans, never having seen a pair in person. It's very helpful to see the inside of a pair.
Would you mind taking more pics of the construction of these cabinets for those of us trying to build?
Thanks!
Mark