-
For the Non-Brits, Rainbow was a childrens program about Two male puppets(Zippy & George), a giant male teddy bear (Bungle), a male presenter (Geoffrey), two male helpers and a female helper who all lived together.
Believe it or not this really is an actual script from a transmitted show of rainbow.
The sketch opens with Zippy peeling a banana...
Zippy: " One skin, two skin, three skin, four "
George: " Zippy, where is Bungle?"
Zippy: " I think Geoffrey is trying to get him up"
We see a view of the door and hear Bungle moaning from behind it.
Bungle: " Geoffrey, I can't get it in"
Geoffrey: "You managed it last night"
Bungle: "I know, lets try it round the otherway.Ooooooh, I've got it in"
Bungle and Geoffrey enter the studio with Bungle carrying a hammer and peg kit
Bungle: " Would you stick this on the shelf, George"
George: " I can't reach, you'll have to stick it up yourself, Bungle."
Geoffrey: (to camera ) " Hello everyone, today we are talking about playing"
Bungle: " Playing with each other, Geoffrey?"
Geoffrey: " Yes Bungle, do you have a special friend that you like to play with?"
George: " Yesterday we played with each other's balls. Are we going to play with our friend's balls today?
Bungle: " Yes, and we can play with our twangers as well." Geoffrey (to camera ) "Have you seen Bungles twanger?"
Zippy: " Oh I have, I showed him how to pluck with it."
Bungle: " It's my plucking instrument."
Geoffrey asks the audience if they can pluck like Bungle
Zippy: " I can, I'm the best plucker here."
George; " And I'm good at banging. My peg's hard isn't it Zippy?
Zippy: " Well of course it is, Your peg wouldn't go in if it was soft." Geoffrey; " Let's get back to Bungle's twanger."
Bungle: ( excited ) " Oooooh Geoffrey, we could all play with our twangers couldn't we? Let's play the plucking song. Rod and Roger can get their instruments out and Jane has got two lovely Maracas."
Singers Rod, Roger and Jane enter.
Roger: " We could hear you all banging away"
Rod: " Banging can be fun ."
Jane: " Ooooh yes, and I was banging away all last night with Rod and Roger."
Roger: (looking sad ) " Yes, but it broke my plucking instrument."
Rod: to Jane ) " Do you want to blow on my pipe while I'm twanging away?"
Jane: " Oh no, I was banging away with Roger last night. But would you like to play with my Maracas?
Zippy; " No, let's just pluck away with our twangers."
George: " Yes, it doesn't matter what size our twanger is." Zippy; " I've got a big red one."
George: " I've only got a tiny twanger. But it works well and I like to play with it."
Geoffrey (to viewers )" Well, have you got your twangers out? And remember,you can bang your balls at the same time. If you haven't got any, ask a friend if you can play with his. Now,let's all play the plucking song."
Everyone in studio: " Pluck, pluck, pluck along, we're going topluck all day."
Geoffrey: (waving )" It's time to go. But don't forget to get your twangers out and play with your balls.
-
I'm not sure if this is proof that the Brits are more sophisticated than the Americans, or more innocent. And I certainly don't ever want to find out...
-
So when's this show getting brought over to the States?
-
ooh ooh Zippy was so cool.
*gets out a bucket of paint and a brush and starts singing*
"Paint the whole world with a rainbow." [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
Although, I'd guess this would be one way to get the adults to watch their kids shows... assuming the adults don't choke themselves trying not to laugh at things they think their kids are too young to get...
-
uh... Rich, what *are* you talking about?
-
Yeah! Ritchie Blackmoore! Ronnie James Dio!! Joe Lynn Turner!! Rainbow Rising!! "Man on the Silver Mountain"! "Street of Dreams"!
Oh.... Not THAT Rainbow. Damn...
-
Sexually Suggestive Children's Programming? But enough about 90210...that went off the air years ago...
-
Now I'm starting to wonder about Sesame Street...
-
Rainbow (aka Ritchie Blackmoore's Rainbow), the rock band. Formed in 1975 when Ritchie Blackmoore left Deep Purple to form his own band. The group is known for producing two of the most amazing lead singers of that time, Ronnie James Dio (who went on to early 80s metal rock success as just Dio) and Joe Lynn Turner, who may be the most underrated rock vocalist ever. They're first album was Rainbow Rising, which produced the hit "Man on the Silver Mountain". Rainbow's other hit (in the states)would be the mid 80s love song, "Street of Dreams".
Sorry to go off track. Back to our original thread of sexually suggestive children's televison shows.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 02, 2003 12:38 PM: Message edited by: RichC ]</font>