Re: Altec Model 19 Questions
I am desperately looking for grills for the model 19 speakers! Does anyone know where I can find these?
Re: Altec Model 19 Questions
Unless you get lucky with an on-line or yard sale, you'll have to DIY them and I'm guessing that either the original or 'close enough' fabric can be found here:
Guilford of Maine Color Charts - Acoustics First - Acoustical Materials for Sound Control, Noise Elimination, and Acoustic Enhancement or Suppression
GM
Re: Altec Model 19 Questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by
sburke
Hello All:
I'm the proud new owner of a pair of 1978 Altec Model 19's, purchased locally from the original owner. These will be my first horn experience in my own home. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited! They'll be initially driven with an HK Citation II running in triode. About 35-40 wpc. I listen mostly to classic rock on vinyl.
Anyway, my question has to do with the 2 controls in each cabinet. If I understand correctly, these act as somewhat of an equalizer for the mid/hi and can be used to balance the sound to a specific listening area. Does anyone have the documentation that might explain about these controls? Is there a user manual available anywhere? I'd like to know what they are specifically doing as they are turned, if they should be used separately or in conjunction with one another, etc. The PO never used the controls and had no doco.
Any other info pertaining to these speakers would be great as well. I've scoured the web and have found specs and a few bits and pieces here and there but there doesn't seem to be alot about this particular speaker. Hints, tweaks, crossover passive component values would all be nice things to know.
Your help to a newbie horn user is greatly appreciated.
Steve
Hi Steve.
I love your choice of amplification. Orig driver circuit? It could use help when driving triodes......the miller C is much much worse in triode mode.
Since yours are 1978 vintage, I suspect 902-8A HF drivers and 416-8C LF drivers. Ferrite.
You don't need an owners manual to fool with the crossover controls. You just need your ears!
I have a pair, stock crossovers. The MF control affects the voice. The HF control affects the sizzle. It's that simple.
Personally, I run the MF control near it's min, and the HF control up all the way. But I'm 54 and the HF hearing is rolled off a bit. Crank em up, and that changes.
I love to sit near field, about 8ft away or closer, in a dead room with the speaks toed in to give that huge headphone sound. I move back and forth a foot or so to get the clear image. It's quite stunning.
I have a very good CD player and listen to classic rock and especially blues. Good recordings are a must! BTW....amps are homeade transformer coupled PP 300B with Citation 2 iron. Awesome!
Since the orig user never tweaked them, run them back and forth a bunch of times to clean the contacts up.
Listen to them stock. For awhile. There are good tweaks, but we here will all disagree to some point.
I braced the cabs, sealed the top to bottom to eliminate air leaks, removed the bug screens from the hf drivers, and removed the sections from the horns.
These get as close to duplexes as I've heard. YMMV.
I also never cared for the bass, it's ok, but I use Altec subs, adds that extra dimension.
So just give em a try, tweak the controls to what you like, and report back.
Ron
Re: Altec Model 19 Questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by
RonSSS
Hi Steve.
...and report back.
Ron
Not sure if Steve's still here man, his post is over 7 years old now... ;)
Re: Altec Model 19 Questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by
bfish
Not sure if Steve's still here man, his post is over 7 years old now... ;)
Heh, I noticed that. He could have moved on to white van speakers driven by BPC by now....:snickerpup: