-
This coming autumn I'm going to be filming some high school marching band competitions. I'd like to film them using K40--I have a freezer filled with new non-jittery K40 carts ready to be used and it's cheaper for me to develop (my supermarket offers developing services via Fuji via Dwayne's)--but the competitions are held at night. How does K40 hold up under stadium lighting? Would it be better to use Ektachrome or possibly Tri-X (I'm not too crazy about filming in B&W but if I have to, I will)?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Tom
-
K40 is a tungsten balanced film so it should look OK.
The question is whether there is enough light. At ASA 40 the film is light hungry and needs a lot. I would be surprised if the lighting is sufficient. I'd suggest sacrificing one of your catridges for a test shoot.
If there is not enough light then I doubt that you would be able to add more lights in this sort of venue. That leaves going to a faster film. Pro8mm repackages Kodak 800T into super8 carts. It costs $35/cart, processing included. I've never used it but it should soak up light like a sponge. It is negative film intended to be transferred to video. That could be a down side. If you want a print you're going to have a hard time getting one unless you blow up to 16mm. Another down side is that I would anticipate it to be very, very grainy.
Another thing about using fast films. Make sure your camera can handle it. With most super8 cameras dating from a time before fast film the light meter may not take it. If not then a camera that gives you full control of exposure is a must.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 19, 2002 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Actor ]</font>
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 19, 2002 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Actor ]</font>
-
Thanks.
Would Ektachrome 7240 or Tri-X fare any better? I really don't want to splurge on negative films and the accompanying telecine costs.
Tom
-
I forgot to add this in my last post. I'm going to be transferring the raw footage to my PC via my Video Cinemate and finishing on video (either VHS or DVD).
As for my camera, I have full manual control of the exposure.
Tom
-
Ektachrome is ASA 125. That means it's 1 2/3 stops more sensitive to light than K40. Under tungsten light Tri-X is ASA 160 or 2 stops more sensitive to light than K40. If you want to shoot color then my opinion is that the 1/3 stop difference is not worth worrying about.
Assuming that no night events are scheduled in the stadium between now and your first shoot, get someone to turn the lights on in the stadium in the middle of the night. Put a cart of K40 in your camera and see what your light meter tells you. Get an up close reading of an 18% gray card; you can get one from a photo shop for about 5 bucks. If K40 is not sensitive enough then try it with Ektachrome in the camera.
The best way is to shoot a test cartridge. Or get a still camera with controls and metering similar to your S8. Shoot some Kodak Gold 100 and have Wal-Mart process it. That's close enough to give you some idea of what the Ektachrome will look like.
-
...and if you can't get an exposure with k40, use it anyway if you're less than 2 stops under. it can work and if it does it looks wonderful, with super saturated colors and no grain. forget about any kind of shadow detail though.
/matt
-
Why not go to the stadium way in advance and meter the lights at night.
-
That (going to the stadium in advance) is what I'm going to do. I just thought someone here (or on the Shooting 8mm forum) might have a good idea about what would work or what would not work and save me some hassle (and wasted carts).
Anyway, I'm hoping that K40 will work. I bought a bunch of K40 and Tri-X carts at the beginning of the summer and I've used about half of them. I'd like to film this project, but after upgrading my computer, buying a telecine projector and a DV camcorder, I don't want to invest a lot of money in more carts.
Thanks for the suggestions and advice.
Tom
-
Tom,
I saw your post and was interested to see theres somone else who is experimenting with low light, and i just wanted to offer my little bit of impartial advice if you dont mind.
Ive shot K40 in very low light at a freinds party at night, and all though its underexposed the images are clear and look really good. Even the parts which are underexposed K40 still manages to give wonderful colour saturation. I should imagine that with big stadium lights it would work well, a word of warning about ektachrome VNF, apprantly this has a low latitude film (tolerance to under and overexposure) and really needs spot on meterting and exposure, i reckon k40 is the way to go.
I belive a 220 degree shutter helps too.
good luck
-
"I belive a 220 degree shutter helps too."
Try a Bauer c5xl, it has a 230 degree shutter and a f1.2 lens. You probably won't find any better anywhere.
I won one yesterday at e bay for 3,5 Euro; but the seller doesn't respond to my emails. He should $%^**^%!!!!