-
I feel like talking so I'm gonna post and whoever wants to can talk back. How's that?
The week before the fourth of July I went home for a dentist appointment, hung about with friends I hadn't seen for a long time, and managed to steal one of my younger brothers, and took him back with me when I returned to Dallas.
A short stop in Houston to see a friend I met 10 years ago (wow) who was in highschool with me, and whom I haven't seen in the past couple years. Met her family, who are totally rockin, tried to fatten up me and my brother (no complaints here) and insisted next time they go home to Vietnam I WILL go with them. I guess they liked me too.
it was just awesome to see her again, one of my best friends of all time.
I get back to Dallas, brother in tow, and this is fun. He's almost as lazy and laid back as I am, so sitting around my apartment, reading my books, watching my videos, playing on my computer, eating my food, and sleeping a lot is loads of fun. And I am so jazzed about him being here because he is as fun now as he was 6 years ago, we get along great, and more than that, ALL MY FRIENDS LIKE HIM. My roomate loves him and is trying to convince me to not take him back home. This is sooooo cool. I mean, *I* know my brother is awesome, but its a different thing when everyone else agrees.
But anyway, while I was back home, a couple friends had birthdays, so when I got back to the big city, I gave my usual standby present- an offer to cook whatever they want as long as its in a decent price range. My friend Dan, being Dan, is ornery, and decides to be difficult. What region of the world Dan? Uzbekistan!!! Uzbekistan? Where the hell....? I had to look it up on a map. I mean, I had a general idea, but that's about it.
So off we go on a long internet search, and haha!!! the internet is a girl's best friend. We find lots of recipes and I'm off.
The dinner party grows from four people to 7, ok I can do that. To 12 people. Then 14. We don't even have fourteen chairs.
We get the food (6 pounds of meat to start with). I spend a day prepping (slicing, dicing) and a day cooking. I only got it done on time because my brother and a friend helped with the slicing, and a couple friends helped with the cooking. We got started eating an hour late, but what the hell, the last guest arrived an hour late. And all through dinner Dan was shaking his head saying "But I was just joking! It was just a joke guys!" and looking around at the massive piles of food with a rather dazed expression. And I felt rather proud of myself because the only one dish came out late, but it took 3 hours longer to fully cook than the recipe said it would, so we never actually ate it. Got bored and ate the birthday cake instead.
I left the party early, right after the cake was served, when another friend called and asked me to take him to the hospital. Poor guy is prone to kidney stones. So I went, and one of my friends came with me and we spent a few hours goofing off in the ER lobby, and then in the room with my sick friend teasing him. They gave him morphine for the pain, and he's very funny on morphine. We made it back at the tail end of the party, morphine boy in tow, ate some more. Most everyone left, and the remnants stayed up till dawn watching a movie.
And I thought, wow, what an epic. That was a LOT of food. Won't be doing that again for at least 3 months. Whew!
Heh.
I opened my freezer last night to remind myself of what was in it and aid in the process of deciding what to cook for dinner, now that most of the leftovers are gone. And nothing was frozen. Oh frabjous joy, callooh callay! So guess what tyle did last night?
I buy meat in large batches and keep it in the freezer. It allows me to be lazier. Then all I have to do is keep the fruit/veggie drawer stocked and I can make whatever I want.
3 pounds of chicken. 3 pounds of beef. at least 4 pounds of pork. frozen vegetables. butter. and a large thing of raw hamburger patties my roomate's boyfriend refuses to reclaim from a party long past. Various odds and ends. All nice and soggy.
I spent all night cooking! I now have every large bowl in the house full of cooked food. And I'm leaving in two days. I pray to God that the landlady gets the freezer fixed before I leave, because there is absolutely NO WAY we can eat all that food before I leave, and my roomate will not be able to eat it all by herself when I'm gone. There went the groceries for the rest of the month. Wonder what I'm gonna eat come end of July...
So in less than a week I cooked enough food to feed Jaye, me, and half the US army. Only the first time I had people to eat it.
So, my question is.... WHO'S HUNGRY?!?!??
Dig in people!!! *spreads out a large feast*
I've got salad, courtesy of my brother, greek meatballs in a tomato sauce, chicken with onions and carrots in a wine sauce, slow-cooked and tender and covered in fresh dill. I have an Ethiopian beef stew (don't laugh, this stuff is good) with lentils and a spinach dish to accompany it. I have pork, stewed with potatoes, carrots, onions, in a nice white wine sauce. I have pork marinated in lemon juice and grilled. I have rice dishes that we are STILL trying to finish from last week, they are very good, don't be afraid. A stew with ground lamb meat. Spicy, non spicy, you pick.
Everything slow cooked to ensure it is fully dead!! No upset stomachs here folks!
So have at it! We've got a large jug of good table wine to go with it, don't be shy!!
*beams in front of a fully laden banquet table*
-
[img]graemlins/dish.gif[/img] *sits down at table*
Awesome I am ALWAYS hungry!
Sounds like you love cooking, I would if I had more time I think I get enthused every time I watch Jamie Oliver. I'm lucky my mum still cooks for me quite often.
I'd love to stay and chat but its almost midnight here and I have to get up at 6.30 to go to work [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
Good God woman!! sleep! the food will still be here when next you return to these humble halls.
*picks you up, carries you to a bedroom, and tucks you in*
Here's a teddy bear to keep you company. Night!
-
Did someone say food????
*sits down at the table and dives in*
Did I hear someone mention hamburgers?? *Puts on puppy dog eyes*
-
*takes a plate and digs in*
The next time I spend a night in Texas, I'm gonna call you and tell you to come over and bring some eats.
-
*arrives with a small plate of lemon flavoured humous*
My mother never went anywhere as a dinner guest without a little plate of homous. It's the polite thing to do. Either that or some bizarre ritual she's instilled in me....
Looks great, Tyle.
*tucks in*
-
You know what's a mazing about a veggie burger? It doesn't really taste like a veggie burger...
*looks at the food on the table*
Good rambling tyle btw... never seena rambling like that for about a couple years...
*looks back at the food*
yum...
*digs in*
-
*looks around*
Where is the F@$KIN' Guinness!!!!
-
Wow, free food that I didn't have to cook myself.
* digs in *
-
This ain't steak and tater, Ski!!!
we do have some white wine, on the other hand...
thank you dwim. I haven't had a good long ramble in a while. I had no idea how LONG it was until after I posted it.
*dives at the humous with intent* thank you, thank you, thank you
and my stomach thanks you to... say thank you Ralph *a small squeaky voice* "Thank You!!"
And anytime you are in Texas, let me know, and I WILL cook up something. Well. As long as you make it through the right city anyway.
And now, I have a new fridge!!! As old and ugly as the first one, but it works. the freezer looks kind of lonely though.