-
I recently met a really nice gentelman named Stan Farlow. We talked a few weeks ago & it turns out that he is a musician from way back, He recently invited me to hear him & his lovely wife Abby, play some bluegrass music.
Stan is a multi-instumentalist, He mainly plays Banjo & Gutiar, While Abby plays Mandolin.
I had a wonderful time as they played for about 3 1/2 hours nonstop. He performed many of his originals as well as covers from Johnny Cash, Ralph Stanley, Gorden Lightfood, John Prine and everyone in between.
He just gave me a Cd of some songs They recorded a while back, I left it in my walkman, but I'll do a review of it later.
I found this wonderful photo of Stans LP Hot Wheels (Chess/Checker label LPS3015) that was released in 1969.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10...Farlow1969.jpg
By now you probably know that I like all kinds of music and thanks to Stan & Abby, I'm in a Classic Country & Bluegrass mood....Oh Yeah, It is time for a Jolly Rog's Breakdown [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
Great story Roger! I will have to check him out.
I like some classic country...Tanya Tucker in particular. I haven't heard much bluegrass but don't totally dislike what I've heard.
-
Stan & Abby played Friday night at a benifit for a local boy who was seriously hurt in a four wheeler Accident.
The evening started off with a a loose bunch of pickers doing some old Country songs and trying to back up some young singers. Second up was the Millenbines, Three young ladys who sang gospel to a backing tape. Thery performed some beautiful harmonys.
Stan & Abby performed next, backed up by a bass player & guitarist. They did some country gospel songs and Stan did "Foggy Mountain Breakdown on the Banjo. I love Abby's voice when she sang "Doesn't my Baby look sweet, When He's in my arms asleep".
Next up was the Glorylanders with thier version of Gospel, but they had thier vocal mic's as well as thier taped backing tracks way to loud for the auditorioum so I stepped outside and chatted with some of the musicians I knew.
It was a good night, but I'm looking forward to hearing a full show by the Farlow's bluegrass music.
-
Thats a great story Rog!!!
-
I feel energized being around these two. They have so much positive energy.
I plan on going to see them this summer as they go to some of the Bluegrass festivils in this area. I love the music and I like the way they present themselves. I think it is gonna be a lot of fun.
-
-
Re: Stan Farlow
Stan Farlow passed away on June 13th around 11:39PM. I will miss my friend of 30 years and have some videos posted on YouTube I made when he was down here in 2007. I did keep in contact with Abby the entire time Stan was in the hospital and know he went on to be with the ONE he loved the most. Our prayers are with Abby and Stan's family.