I thought it might be interesting to make a record of what I find "wanting" when film festivals use video projection systems .
I previously had mentioned that a video projectionist tried to turn my Super-8 Film The Alphabet Song (which had been transferred to video) back into a film by stretching and widening the video projected image so that it owuld fit the 2.333 - 1 cinemascope screen that it was being projected onto [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well, I have another observation of what not to do to add to this list.
I'm not completely sure that what I'm about to say is accurate, but I think it is. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] When a film print is normally projected, the movie theatre usually has several speakers around the theatre that play in what could be called surround sound or 5.1 Dolby.
When video projection is used, the theatre only use two audio channels going to two speakers, usually the front speakers (located by the screen (perhaps behind or on top of the movie screen?). But from what I understand to be the case, the front speakers in the movie theatre are TWEETERS ONLY!
So I'm watching a film that had been transferred to video that I did post-production sound on being projected in a very nice theatre this past Saturday morning.
The movie was 27 minutes, and for the final 25 minutes, I debated going up to the projection booth and asking why there was virtually no bass.
And then I remembered someone telling me that the front speakers are tweeters only. Since the BetaCam SP Video Playback Decks usually only have two audio outputs, perhaps the projectionist is only hooking the audio up to the two front TWEETERS ONLY speakers.
Wow. [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]
