-
Back in the late 70's, I seriously looked forward to my Super-8 Filmaker Magazines whenever one arrived. My friend Larry asked me if I wanted a box of these magazines otherwise he would be throwing them away. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]
Of course I accepted the super8 filmaker magazines, but I kept them stored in a box. They had been in storage for a couple of years. I recently ran across them only this time I opened the box and looked through my find. I was so moved by the crazy colors and psychedelic magazine covers that amazingly enough, were also about tangible things the super-8 filmmaker could do to enhance their super-8 films. As I look at the magazines I am reminded of a 60's child reborn as film making gurus saying, "you can have your cake and eat it to." [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
So in the spirit of the magazine that was and
still IS, if any of the topics featured on the cover strike your fancy, ask me about them and I'll review the article and give a report.
-
...Let me guess....Lenney Lipman was (I thank that's his name) big on shooting Weddings in super 8 in the 70's. Is that the focus of this article?
Thanks for taking my picture down, I did not want to get sick of my own work!
-
Which title are you reading from?
The official name was Lenny Lipton, then there was Dennis Dugan, and many many others...(what's with the matching consonants?)
-
Just trying to Remember those bigone days of yester year.
-
Hmmmm...I'm starting to feel like a used car lot salesman showing off a Super-8 filmmaker magazine with many topics listed, and the prospective buyer is looking off in another direction. [img]graemlins/car.gif[/img]
-
Ok review your favorite article. Or....review the article that is the most out of date.. and why?
Example: Like home processing that never quite caught on, or...?
-
Well, there are 8 topics featured on the cover.
Maybe someone will be interested in knowing more about one of those eight.
-
Off point, but you may find this interesting.A year or so ago, Video maker changed the logo of the magazine.
Matt York the publisher, praised the new direction of his magazine. I won' t quote him, but I can't remember exactly what he said, but something to the effect that: < people want shorter articles, with more flash and less real depth >
[img]confused.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]
Since the scope of a consumer oriented Super 8 magazines, would probably be very close to the type of consumer now shooting home movies on video, can you critique the righting style. Are the articles in depth and informative, or just puff pieces placed because some company bought an advertise package?
-
Back in the day when Super-8 filmmaker magazine was king, I knew so little about Super-8 that I could not fully appreciate the full content of the articles in the magazines.
Basically, they were trying to do in 8mm everything that was being done with 16mm, but the biggest hurdle was you were cutting the original film, rather than a workprint.
Back in the day, 25 years ago, 3/4 video ruled, and frankly, it wasn't cost-effective to shoot Super-8mm, find the very rare super-8 rank cintel transfer facilities, (tube cameras weren't good enough 25 years ago to use in film chain transfers, unless you spent 100,000 on the camera!), and then do what, edit 3/4 to 3/4???
Time base correctors weren't that good and also could have cost as much as $ 20,000 without blinking. Super-8 filmaker magazine tried to fill the void by creating a "do it yourself" atmosphere.
At the time, it was the right message. I sometimes think too much time is spent nowadays trying to "do it yourself", when the prices for outside Super-8 services literally cost 1/2 to 1/10th of what they did 25 years ago!
-
Are there any good tricks in the "Handy household film gadgets" article? I'm pretty much in a DIY situation - everything(tripods, film, lighting etc.) costs a fortune for my standards. Helpful hints are always welcome here! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]