-
Hey guys...
I was just reading a HOD member's comments in the topic titled "Granola Bars". Bennyandtheskins mentionned Gary Husband. His analogy of Gary's playing got me to write this... [img]biggrin.gif[/img] (Thanks Benny...)
So Benny says: "His playing reminds me of ocean waves during a storm." What an accurate way of describing Gary's musical approach, yep, he well deserves the title of Master of fusion drumming.
Has anyone heard his contributions on Alan Holdworth's "Wardencliffe Tower" (1992)?? WOW!!! There is a ballad in there where Gary plays like (to use Benny's analogy) those waves are calming down.. [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img] .. after the storm. The way he uses his crashes is verrrry tasty. [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img]
Gary is the one who wrote "City Nights" out of Holdsworth "Secret", where Vinnie's time feel positively moves me everytime I hear it... Stretches and pushes... [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img]
I also like the way Gary plays Pop tune on the Live Level 42 CD, nice rock chops!!!
Anyone else's been touched by Gary??
Ciao,
-
beatHit:
I'm glad my post inspired you.... I really love Gary's playing. One my first, and seminal fusion experiences, where I emerged from my Rush/Neil Peart cocoon forever, was when I heard Gary & Chad W. on Holdsworth's Metal Fatigue, as well as Gary's Intro (ocean waves, again) to Non-Brewed Condiments, off of Atavichron. I was 17 at the time, and his (Gary's) ideas definitely had a profound effect on me, and shape my playing and how I hear music/drums to this day.
Again (From my post/conversation with Peter Erskine, Peter E. and Jaco P.), this is a case of a drummer who "Cross-Trains", as Gary is an excellent pianist who has toured with Billy Cobham, as his pianist/keys man! Check out Gary's piano solo on White Line, off the first Holdsworth IOU album.
I'm noticing how much pleasure/gratification I'm starting to get from simply hearing a nicely tuned tom flam, or a similar musical "brush stroke" at the right time in the music, and Gary's playing definitely "tells a larger story", than just beats/fills.
I guess that's why when I saw Allan Holdsworth on the street in San Diego a few years back he said that "Gary and Jimmy (Johnson), those are the guys...." This was of course, after he said, "Geez, man, havent you ever seen a jazz guitarist on the street before" (just kidding. It was a great thrill to be just a tourist in the Gaslamp district of San Diego, and turn my head and see ALLAN HOLDSWORTH having a beer. He's been such a huge influence on me since I was 15....)
Shoot me an email if you'd like to chat more about it at [email protected]
(Notice-before I get gobs of hate mail, let me say that I'm NOT implying that my skills come close to Mr. Colaiuta's. I just couldn't think of any other email name. :-)
-
Gary Husband is an awesome drummer....
If you get the chance to check his video, by all means do so....It features Gary doing some solo stuff....It also features a bunch of incredible guest artists...Yes ,Holdworth is one of them, Mark King is another,Gary Moore, Jack Bruce , and a bunch of incredible musicians from England....
It's worth the cost.....
-
Benny,
You said it well: "I'm noticing how much pleasure/gratification I'm starting to get from simply hearing a nicely tuned tom flam, or a similar musical "brush stroke" at the right time in the music, and Gary's playing definitely "tells a larger story", than just beats/fills." [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
Your thoughts and comments there are so similar to what reaches me in drums more and more, I.E: musicality = telling a story built upon what the other musicians around have come up with in a given context!! I love drummers who tell stories, especially when soloing. I think of Peter Erskine, Alex Acuna, my hero Paul Brochu (Gino Vannelli, UZEB. The UZEB World Tour CD has a nice solo where Paul displays that angle of his playing in a nice way), Steve Gadd, Bill Bruford, Vinnie of course and Gary Husband... There are more...
[img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
Gary is a MONSTER player, 1 of my favs...
1st heard him on Metal Fatigue [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rain.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img] ...
Since then i've bought every AH disc with him on it...[i need to hear that Level 42]...heck, i've got almost every AH disc period, because, well, it's AH...
Aspects of GH's playing do indeed have reflections of Tony, a bit [as Allan has stated]...
Wardenclyffe Tower [the whole disc] KIX TOTAL POSTERIOR... I dig every tune on there... I don't think i've EVER heard an AH disc that didn't completely kick my tail in... the time on his discs, not unlike the CCEB1&2, is frightening...
AH always has THE BEST [Colaiuta, Covington, Husband, Novak, Wackerman; AWA his other instrumentalists - because he's ONE of 'em [elite]]...
Has anyone checked out Joel Taylor with AH?
ANOTHER monster...great player...that Live at the Galaxy Theater is KILLER...but then i like that "over-the-top" stuff]...yee-haaww...the "notier" the better ;=) [altho AH also has hauntingly beautiful ballads AW...his use of the chordal spectrum is uncanny]....
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 22, 2003 05:55 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>
-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor=""><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by beat Hit:
Benny,
You said it well: "I'm noticing how much pleasure/gratification I'm starting to get from simply hearing a nicely tuned tom flam, or a similar musical "brush stroke" at the right time in the music, and Gary's playing definitely "tells a larger story", than just beats/fills." [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
Your thoughts and comments there are so similar to what reaches me in drums more and more, I.E: musicality = telling a story built upon what the other musicians around have come up with in a given context!! I love drummers who tell stories, especially when soloing. I think of Peter Erskine, Alex Acuna, my hero Paul Brochu (Gino Vannelli, UZEB. The UZEB World Tour CD has a nice solo where Paul displays that angle of his playing in a nice way), Steve Gadd, Bill Bruford, Vinnie of course and Gary Husband... There are more...
[img]biggrin.gif[/img] </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paul Brochu another awesome drummer..I've got that UZEB disc(s)World Tour Live....Brochu's Solo on "Not even the shadow of a tail of a lizard " is phenomenal........His brush work on Alain Caron's version of "Donna Lee" is also noteworthy.....
-
Yeah Ptrack!! Paul Brochu is MR Musician's drummer. He's Montreal busiest studio cat. It's when you hear comments by musicians that have previously played with Paul that you know the guy's got an edge that the Vannelli's of this world are looking for. Ask Omtaro Ruiz, Gino, Michel Legrand, David Goldblatt, Don Alias and listen to what they have to say about Paul Brochu. Even Dave Weckl mentioned him in the Sabian Newsbeat interview (Chad Smith on cover). When asked by the journalist what concert impacted him recently he said: "Peter Gabriel, Gino Vannelli with Paul Brochu on drums, incredible."
Just the way Paul handles time (solid as a brick), grooves and swings in all musical context, THAT my friend has had a major impact on me since I got started on drums. Where the importance of being inspired by Drum Heros like Five Eight had beautifully described not too long ago!
P.S: That UZEB World Tour has no overdubs either, all recorded Live as is via a DAT. Some of the various patches were played by Paul on his Roland Electronic pads...
Later,
-
Cool post guys. All of this talk about AH and his drummers has inspired me to sit down and listen to all of his stuff. Check out www.vicfirth.com with an interview with Chad Wackerman. He talks briefly about his experiences with Allan.
Fuse-what's the quality like on the "Live at the Galaxy Theater DVD with Joel Taylor. Is it worth buying?
Clint
-
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 23, 2003 01:34 AM: Message edited by: ptrack ]</font>
-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor=""><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ptrack:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor=""><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by beat Hit:
Yeah Ptrack!! Paul Brochu is MR Musician's drummer. He's Montreal busiest studio cat. It's when you hear comments by musicians that have previously played with Paul that you know the guy's got an edge that the Vannelli's of this world are looking for. Ask Omtaro Ruiz, Gino, Michel Legrand, David Goldblatt, Don Alias and listen to what they have to say about Paul Brochu. Even Dave Weckl mentioned him in the Sabian Newsbeat interview (Chad Smith on cover). When asked by the journalist what concert impacted him recently he said: "Peter Gabriel, Gino Vannelli with Paul Brochu on drums, incredible."
P.S: That UZEB World Tour has no overdubs either, all recorded Live as is via a DAT. Some of the various patches were played by Paul on his Roland Electronic pads...
Later,</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh yeah I also forgot about that tune Riff 55 his toms/splashes solo on that is another thing that blew away about Brochu..........Wow, I did not know that Brochu was also triggering stuff I had always assumed it was Michel Cusson (sp) with the guitar synth .....Man it's good to know someone else is into these guys.....
MD should do a cover of Brochu...
btw Beathit, What other albums should I get that features PB playing with all the stops out??
PS somewhere out there is a Holdsworth boot of a show he did in the summer of 88'. This specific show was recorded in Florida somewheres...The lineup is AH,Jimmy Johnson,Steve Hunt, and Vinnie Colaiuta....Now VC's playing on this disk is absolutely INSANE!!!VC's drumming on this disk makes the whole Secrets album look mellow( Dont get me wrong,I love the "Secrets" album)...
It also features Allan and Vinnie in an incredible duet.......If I ever find that disk again I will make copies for EVERYONE here....
Frankly,everyone has got to hear this.....
Keep a look out for this boot....It' well worth the hunt....</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>