-
I know this has been started before, but I was watching a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers DVD last night and one of their songs called "A Long Road to Love" kept reminding me of a perfect song for Social D. to cover if they were to cover a Tom Petty song The vocal harmonies as well as the blues guitar leads were incredible and right up S.D.'s alley. Another tune would be "The Last Time" by the Stones - I know that they have covered that one live before, but I still haven't heard it. Anyone else with their thoughts about this topic?
-
Tom Petty does seem like a good target to be covered by Social D. I recall reading an interview on here where Mike Ness said he admired Petty's songwriting.
I recall there being another topic on here about a year ago of what Christmas songs (!) Social D should cover and I still say "Christmas In Prison" by John Prine seems like a perfect fit.
-
i always thought tom petty's "you wreck me" would make a great social d cover.
-
I was watching the Lighting of the Christmas Tree in Rockafeller Plaza on tv the other night and when Lionel Ritchie came out and sang Joy to the World, I was imagining Mike Ness singing that song with his Les Paul thundering and Mike growling out "and heaven and nature SING" That's what i want to hear!
-
I've always wondered what some of Mike's influences would sound like doing some Social D songs. I can hear the Stones doing several songs well, She's a Knockout or When She Begins would work for them. Maybe the New York Dolls doing Lost Child. I always wanted Johnny Cash to cover something, I think him doing When the Angels Sing or 99 to Life would have been awesome, but it never happened. And I can hear David Bowie doing It Wasn't a Pretty Picture and Hour of Darkness in my head. And a weird one, not really an influence, but I can see Metallica doing Indulgence or Moral Threat.
-
as far as Christmas recordings go, he performed Little Drummer Boy at least once that i know of. i have a copy of that show (Live at Linda's Doll Hut 1993), mainly an acoustic set, with some country.
i'd love to see a traditional (read: religous) Christmas album by the band in their own style. full versions of the original songs typically have 4 lines per stanza and tell a story with dramatic effect, similar to Social D songs (Angel's Wings, Story of My Life, Cold Feelings, When the Angels Sing, Nickels and Dimes, I Wasn't Born To Follow, etc.) The lyrics to many songs are spiritual, as is the video for When The Angel's Sing. (ok, now before people get offended, i'm not trying to start a holy war or inquisition, just developing a basis for my statement).
setlist for live at linda's doll hut:
Alone and Forsaken
Send Her Back
San Quentin
Let the Jukebox Keep on Playin
Making Believe
You Win Again
King of Fools
Bad Luck
Little Drummer Boy
-
I'd like to hear some Neil Young. Maybe Southern Man amped up Social D style.
Petty would be great too of course. I think Mike could put a great spin on Here Comes My Girl. I don't know why...but I think it would work.
Then there's Cheap Trick. Remember back when Death or Glory came out for that movie, Mike said he was working on a cover of Surrender before they decided to do the Clash.
And lastly...how bout some Chuck Berry? The guy's songs are so great and so simple. I think Memphis, Tennessee would work well or even better Downbound Train.
As far as artists that could cover Social D?
There are very few that could pull it off. Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Earle, Los Lobos. Who knows. Maybe somebody with a girl singer. The Bellrays?
-
I agree with a lot of what ya'll are saying.... What about other Stones/rockabilly tunes that they haven't covered before...
-
I want to hear Little Drummer Boy
-
i forgot to add Buddy Holly. "lookin for someone to love," "Rave On," and maybe "Rock Around with Ollie Vee."