I saw them open up for Black Sabbath in 1999 and they were AMAZING. then I went to get their new record & I didn't like it. I presume the first one is the best?
Printable View
I saw them open up for Black Sabbath in 1999 and they were AMAZING. then I went to get their new record & I didn't like it. I presume the first one is the best?
I dug the 2nd two the best, Vulgar Display of Power & Far Beyond Driven.
Phil's old side project Down was kinda blah.
<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ February 27, 2004 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Cemetery Man ]</font>
i thought the first 4 albums they put out were really good...pure power metal. the last 2 got a bit wacky tho...
im a big Down fan, but i have always liked the southern death rock sound.
I'm with boner...got the first four, loved 'em, listened to 'em for years, but after that fourth one...meh.
Liked Down, too.
Hang on, did Down continue making albums after NOLA?
As for albums #1 & #4, I'd say GSTK is when I started losing interest, though it had it's moments. Cowboys was ok overall, especially Cemetery Gates, though I personally wasn't into Phil's singing style on much of that album. To each his own of course. They're still one of the best metal bands hands down.
They had a hair band album before Phil came along (and I think he did an album with them after that one, but before Cowboys). NEVER heard anything of theirs from that era.
yes, they hads a new ablum come out about a year ago called 'a bustle in your hedgerow'. it has 2 great tunes on it 'lean from my mistakes' and 'ghosts along the missippi"
i've got VDoP & GSTK and too me, they're the only pantera albums worth owning
and DOWN is good [img]eek.gif[/img]
so we all know they are done, but vinnie and darryl have a new band called Damageplan.
new bassist, and new singer...bald headed, tattooed, semi-muscular, singer. he evens moves EXACTLY and sounds much like (older) phil. trying to rekindle the days of old are we?
i wasn't impressed at all [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]
Pantera used to kick ass back in the day. The only album, I owned was the one with Cemetary Gates on it. I'll have to check this new band out.