I've recently cut together my showreel and thrown it online for all to see... let me know what you guys and girls think. Also, if you have on... I'd love to have a look. Post your URL in this topic.
Showreel (5min) - Philip Hawkins
Printable View
I've recently cut together my showreel and thrown it online for all to see... let me know what you guys and girls think. Also, if you have on... I'd love to have a look. Post your URL in this topic.
Showreel (5min) - Philip Hawkins
don't listen to me but I'd say drop the opening montage, the fanboy stuff and the music track - use the original audio from each scene.
your website looks very spiffy BTW
too long, font size is too small, audio quality is good but visuals leave me frustrated.
What your showreel needs to do is to demonstrate your style and abilities as a film maker. Your showreel is so heavily compressed I would discard it (Highly compressed files hide poor production). You need to sit down and cut out the fat and alot of meat of this file. At present it is neither a showreel nor a trailer. Less is more
I'm sure your gonna tell me that the DVD or CD-rom looks great, but I have to judge this file.
Also what are you? Director, DP, CO, DOP, screen writer. the term Film maker its all too ambigious. What parts of what I've seen can I credit to you?
(Simon Carol speaks)
Thanks for your input...
Miker, I was wondering whetherto drop the opening montage... so I think I will now! Thanks for your comments about my website... its still not finihsed (as ever) but glad you like it.
JungleGuy... you are right, I am about to tell you the DVD version looks great... the file online at the mo is just a test. I will use better compression once I have completed a final cut I am happy with. Again, with the font size, its much bigger at TV resolution... and that also answers your question about being a 'filmmkaer'. Underneath each film title it lists the credits which I was involved in... I driecting all of them, but all have either DP, Editor, Writer and Producer after them. I am a filmmkaer. I make films. I don't just direct them... to say director would remove about 3/5 of what I can do!
Do any of you guys have a showreel I can look at?
i don't have an up-to-date showreel. the last one i did was a CD chocca with MPEG1 ... that was around 1999
a showreel is good for your first leg-up, after that you're only ever as good as your last movie ...
Check mine out...
http://www.eagle.ca/~bembenek
It's under 'demo reel.' Tell me whatcha all think...
not too shabby.
my only criticism would be you look to be a one trick pony ;-)
Mine's on DVD and I'm not interested in getting it 'web ready'
I did a showreel to get onto a uni course next year... I was unaware of the traditional length of a showreel and so it ended up at 59 minutes long.
I'm gonna do a proper one soon, I'll bang it up here.