-
Do you keep all your dolls out on display all the time, or do you rotate which ones are out and which ones are in storage? The thread about limits got me thinking about what my life would be like with say, 12 dolls. It seems like it would be really hard to bond with that many, at least at once. I'm curious, for those of you who have more dolls than can be counted on one (or two!) hands, how do you maintain that special connection with all of them?
- Becca
-
I have 10 dolls. For a long time, 9 of them sat on top of the bookshelf in 2 rows (that was when I had 9.)
Now I have 2 or 3 on the living room shelf, 2 or 3 on my nightstand, and the rest sit on the top of a bookcase.
I would hate to not be able to display them all.
As for special connection- I didn't get them all at once. Kirsten, Felicity and Addy are from when I was a little girl. My AGoT was a gift from my parents when I got my Girl Scout Gold Award in HS, Molly and Samantha were given to me in HS. I was supposed to get Molly in middle school but "my behavior did not warrant a new doll." She is special because I finally earned her in Middle School. I am fairly convinced these dolls are all PM, but I am not sure about the last 3.
I have never bonded with Kaya but she is special because she was a gift from my fiancee. Not my favorite, but she still has a special place.
I love Kit's stories and think Josefina is beautiful. I honestly don't remember when I got those dolls at all. But I remember using HS graduation money to buy up Josefina's books.
Marisol is in the closet waiting for Christmas, she and I share ballet.
So I have a connection to all of them. Even though I have a handful of them. (Not quite as many as some people.) Lately I have gotten A LOT (perhaps to many) outfits all at once. But I am careful not to do that with dolls. They would lose their shine, to me.
(Currently I want Elizabeth, the short blonde haired AGoT, and am debating Nellie- so more dolls will come, sometime.)
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ September 19, 2005 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Skittl1321 ]</font>
-
I have seventeen and they are all out in my living room on display. I also have 4 doll rooms and their furniture and extras. I do have seasonal stuff put away and take out lawn furniture and grill only during the summer and winter stuff during the winter etc!!! I have a son and 5 DDs and didn't have any trouble bonding with them or loving them and it's the same with my dolls! You can never have too many dolls or children!
signed, Old Woman Who didn't Live in a Shoe!
-
I keep mine on the top of my bookcase. I used to have them in two rows, and try to rotate the front row often enough to see them all in turn, but got tired of it. Now that I have 10, I recently made a riser (out of sturdy shoeboxes) on the back, so now I can see all of their sweet little faces all the time! (See my album in my signature!)
I wouldn't want to put any away, and I have limited storage space, so that wouldn't be very practical for me.
-
I have seven AGs currently and I've bonded with each of them for different reasons. Molly's my childhood doll, Kit's my writing companion and the doll my Mom chose for me, Felicity was the doll I wanted for 13 years before I got her, etc.
I try to rotate who comes to hang out with me when I'm watching movies or reading, but their personalities play into that too. Kit is helpful with writing, and Marisol loves to watch anime. Nellie likes to hang out by the sewing machine and Felicity is a book worm. Molly loves a good scary movie, but Kirsten likes nature documentaries better. So far, Elizabeth seems to enjoy sitting with me when I cross stitch. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
I keep all of my dolls in the living room in different places.
-
All of my dolls are displayed. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
-
Well, 5 of mine are displayed right now. I honestly am running out of room, until my boyfriend and I buy a house... which we are hoping to do by next june! [img]smile.gif[/img] Then, we are going to have a dedicated room for our "collector" stuff! [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
All of mine are displayed, too.
-
I have a lot of dolls, and they are all out on display - on top of bookshelves, on chairs, but mostly in little displays on the floor, where I keep their furniture and accessories. I have plenty of room right now so it's not really an issue to have them all out, but if I did have extremely limited space I would simply put up a nice long shelf somewhere and stand all the dolls on it, and keep just one little corner or bookshelf top for a display scene. If you put the dolls at an angle you can fit LOTS on just one shelf, so they wouldn't have to be packed away. I never leave my dolls in the same spot for long, so it wouldn't matter to me too much if the only space I had for them was on a shelf. I'm always pulling one out of a display to bring downstairs to watch t.v. with me, or to sit on my desk while I'm typing, etc. They don't just stand there on display; they all get attention sooner or later!
I don't think having a lot of dolls makes them any less special. The way I got them all makes them special - some were childhood dolls, some were gifts from my mother, some from my boyfriend, some were ebay deals I looked long and hard for, and some were dolls I bought at AG Place on trips with my friends. They all joined my household for a reason, and most importantly, they are here because I fell in love with each one. No matter what mood I'm in, there's a doll around who will fit that mood. Sometimes a doll will get a lot of attention for a week or so, then my focus will move to another, but they all get played with and dressed and their hair fixed. I don't feel overwhelmed by a lot of dolls or like I can't bond with all of them. As janabanana said so nicely, my dolls are like children - I never have a problem loving a lot of them at once. [img]smile.gif[/img] Frankly, I've really never understood the idea that having a lot of dolls makes them less special, or that's it's too hard to bond with all of them - I guess I've never had that problem! [img]redface.gif[/img] My motto is, the more the merrier! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]