Amen
Printable View
Amusing...Not really true or anything, but amusing.
That guy is still wearing the same clothes he bought in 1993, and he has a truly awful haircut.
What's a Macintosh?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The amusing thing is that it's true!Quote:
Originally posted by Generic Skinhead:
Amusing...Not really true or anything, but amusing.
I eject it ... and where did my files go? It's the only operating system I know where "click and drag" does not mean you actually copy or move anything. No, you're just making short cuts on your desktop!
---
So I'm looking looking around a list of files, trying to find the excutable it wants me to update and if I click on any one of them by accident, I RENAME IT! Oh no, it's been renamed "nothing" ... it was some kind of important system file and the computer crashes.
---
On a PC, no data is really lost. I mean there's a way to undeleate a file. If you know what you're doing in DOS you can go and recover anything that's been corrupted. On a Mac, if you lose a file, you run to the store to get a copy of the Mac version of Norton Utilities, you run back only to have norton go "YOU IDIOT! YOU OWN A MACINTOSH! THE FILE IS FUCKING GONE! ITS JUST GONE!
---
Don't have any tools or any kind of buttons or whatever or dials or switches at the bottom of the screen 'cause if you reach for them, the Dock Menu comes up!
hehehe... Funny stuff.
"Crash Different". Says it all really. I hate the Mac I use. In fact I hate all computers. I mean, they never fucking work properly. Ever. Not once.
But Macs, I <u>really</u> hate. Here's a tip you EMO wastes of space. GET A FREAKIN' BASIC INTERFACE LIKE DOS! That way, when your candyass "O.S." (Tiger, XP, 2000, OS-X, whatever) fails I can recover my bastard files.
-----------------------
I also hate computer geeks.
I have used Macs my whole life. Hell, I remember using Apple Basic in computer class in 1990. I have never had any of the thing described happen to me.
Windows/DOS are about as stable as a Crack-Whore.
This whole discussion is fine. Just keep it clean.
Good Luck
Ohhhh....
As for using a text based interface--Mac rules that one. UNIX/FreeBSD
Open Source is the Shit!!!
Good Luck
Today I made an astute observation. An inproportionately high number of Mac users are gay. I'm not a homophobe, and I'm not trying to rekindle the tired old Mac Vs Wintel debate, but it's true.
Also, the geneses of BSD/Linux/UNIX ran on x86 architecture exclusively. To claim open source as a ?Mac thing? is just plain wrong. Support for PPC (Mac) architecture was only added as an after thought. My biggest criticism of Macs is their self-contained nature. My PC has a graphics card from Japan, a sound card and microprocessor from Ireland, a main board from somewhere in Indochina and a hard disk from the U.S.A. If I was so inclined, I could install any one of a myriad of non-Microsoft operating systems (I?ve used BeOS as well as dozens of Linux distributions: Slackware, Corel, Suse, Redhat). I can customize my PC - the hardware and the software - to my exact needs.
The great thing about Linux is it rarely goes completely tits up in the same way as windows or Mac OS. Generally, only X windows (or whatever your GUI is) crashes and can easily be revived through the command prompt without loosing any of your work.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So at the OS X login window type in:Quote:
GET A FREAKIN' BASIC INTERFACE LIKE DOS! That way, when your candyass "O.S." (Tiger, XP, 2000, OS-X, whatever) fails I can recover my bastard files.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">as the username (no password)Quote:
>console
and revel in your DOS like but insanely powerful UNIX console. Emacs and Vi are all you need anyway.
Normally the easiest way to recover your files is from your last backup ...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You'll discover the downside of Linux as soon as you attempt to cut your feature on it. Kino? Cinelerra? Gimme a break, I want to edit, not be battling the configuration.Quote:
Originally posted by Peter_G:
Today I made an astute observation. An inproportionately high number of Mac users are gay. I'm not a homophobe, and I'm not trying to rekindle the tired old Mac Vs Wintel debate, but it's true.
Also, the geneses of BSD/Linux/UNIX ran on x86 architecture exclusively. To claim open source as a ?Mac thing? is just plain wrong. Support for PPC (Mac) architecture was only added as an after thought. My biggest criticism of Macs is their self-contained nature. My PC has a graphics card from Japan, a sound card and microprocessor from Ireland, a main board from somewhere in Indochina and a hard disk from the U.S.A. If I was so inclined, I could install any one of a myriad of non-Microsoft operating systems (I?ve used BeOS as well as dozens of Linux distributions: Slackware, Corel, Suse, Redhat). I can customize my PC - the hardware and the software - to my exact needs.
The great thing about Linux is it rarely goes completely tits up in the same way as windows or Mac OS. Generally, only X windows (or whatever your GUI is) crashes and can easily be revived through the command prompt without loosing any of your work.
As for your astute observation that most Mac users seem to be gay, I think you might just find it's more of an entertainment industry thing.
And the Mac's self-contained nature and adherence to open standards is actually a strength.
Mac components come from all over the world too.
So do yourself a favour. Stick with tinkering with and upgrading your PC while the adults get the work done ;-)
Peter--
I am not saying that Open Source is a "Mac Thing". I am saying that They are the first major computer company to embrace it.
Hell, Steve Jobs is no Newbie to Open Source. Next Computers for instance ran Mach/FreeBSD. Before that Apple created MKLinux which uses the Mach Kernal and ran on machines back in the mid-90's. I had MKLinux running on an older PPC Apple. Apple doesn't support it any more but they do have a BB on their site dedicated to it.
PPC is a great system--To bad the Beige Box Army doesn't switch to it.
Good Luck
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is true. It would be unwise to attempt to edit a major video project on a Linux system. No one operating system can be all things to all people ? just as you?d have to be fairly foolish to edit a serious video project on a Linux box, you?d have to be fairly foolish to, say, run a web server on an Apple or Microsoft OS (even the ones that were created for the sole purpose of hosting websites). I was extolling the virtues of Linux, not touting it as the one to end them all.Quote:
You'll discover the downside of Linux as soon as you attempt to cut your feature on it
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is a strength, but to a greater extent it is a weakness. The fact that every piece of hardware in a Macintosh is made, commissioned by, or at least approved by Apple does lend itself to stability, ease of use and reliability. Similarly, Microsoft ?certifies? hardware ? it approves hardware it has found to work well on Microsoft systems. The difference is Microsoft give you the option of installing more obscure hardware. There is no grey market ?10 Rockwell knock-off modems if you are a Mac user (and I just love grey market ?10 Rockwell knock-off modems, complete with an instruction manual in broken English and a driver installation with a cheap, tacky, annoying midi file playing in the background). The negative implications of hardware sourced from all around the world are obvious - You are open to getting bad hardware, like the time I bought a PC with a shitty shit shit Maxtor hard disk. I'd prefer to have the option of using hardware manufactured by an array of companies. It's just a matter of being prudent. If you buy a PC from a reputable company like Dell, you are guaranteed to have a system that has hardware working well, in synergy. Perhaps that guarantee is slightly more iron-cast with a Mac, simply because there is a limited amount of Mac hardware available and it is all made by Apple.Quote:
And the Mac's self-contained nature and adherence to open standards is actually a strength
I never said that most Mac users are gay - just a greater proportion then the general population. Perhaps a more diplomatic way of putting it would have been "an over proportionate number of gay men are Mac users".
Off the top of my head, here are some gay Mac users from popular culture:
Weyland Smithers (?Hello.Smithers.You.Are.Quite.Good.At.Turning.Me. On?)
Jonathan Caouette (The guy who made that documentary, ?Tarnation?)
gosh, I'm smirking as I quietly edit my feature film on my G4 with FCP. The adventure has been completely smooth and crash-free. While the PC folks brag and fix their crashes, I edit on my Mac and use my PC for the only thing it is good for: listening to internet radio stations!
[img]cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think I've seen every Mac vs. PC debate on this board for the last 4 years and that possibly the best statement I've ever seen in one of these debates. Some people prefer PC's, some people prefer Mac's. Neither OS/architecture is perfect, but as long as the system lets you do what you want to do and tell a story, that's all that really matters, isn't it?Quote:
Originally posted by Peter_G:
No one operating system can be all things to all people ?
Yep, it's always a case of the best (or nearest to best that you can afford) tool for the job.
I was a Linux user for 2 years and if I didn't have the need for industrial strength multimedia I'd still be running Linux. As it happens I want to stay in the Mac camp cos I've been very impressed. It aint perfect, but it's a great balance of the power of *nix made easy to use and, obviously, with proprietry tweaks for Apple hardware.
I've never quite got around to it, but DarwinPorts and Fink are really tempting, but, ultimately for my situation, unnecessary.
There was a time when I really enjoyed mucking with my own self-built PCs, then I started buying Dell for simplicity/sanity and the move to Apple was a natural extension for me to "forget about the computer and get work done".
I really respect the shake-up that OSS is providing for the IT industry (I'm looking at you, Microsoft) and I think the standards it provides are viable long term.
As for the whole gay men thing using Macs, the gay men I know personally all use Windows or are completely uninterested in computing. Funnily enough, I don't know any other Mac users personally but I am assuredly straight. Perhaps the observation has better correlation in the large cities like London and New York, and not little backwater towns like the one I live in.
all the gay people i know use PC's and all the Mac users i know are straight...
[img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]
That could possibly be the funnist thing I have seen in a long time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">From a purely mathematical POV that is a meaningless statistic.Quote:
Originally posted by Matty2phatty:
all the gay people i know use PC's and all the Mac users i know are straight...
[img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Suppose you know 100 people</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Suppose 2 of them are gay.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Suppose 2 of them own Macs.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Then the expectation value of the number of people who are gay and own Macs is 0.04 people.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since you can't have a fraction of a person and 0.04 is closer to zero than to one your observation is consistent with the hypothesis that there is no correlation between Mac ownership and sexual orientation.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Of course I made those numbers up as an example. You did not supply any numbers.
We're getting very serious about this aren't we [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
All i meant was that i couldn't understand why anybody would try to say that more gay people use macs.
If you were to say that lots of gay people work in the hospitality industry you'd probably have a case. That's where i made most of my gay friends.
I think this is getting a bit off topic now anyway heh [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I could tell by the fact you had to become a member just to say that heh [img]wink.gif[/img]Quote:
Originally posted by darksparrow:
That could possibly be the funnist thing I have seen in a long time.
As I said the last time the ol' OS-X, Wintel, Linux, BeOS, whatever, debate came up. You're all failures. Get an Atari. They're no use for cutting your film on and that's why I like 'em. [img]wink.gif[/img]
If you're going to cut video then I can honestly say there's very little between Mac's and PC's. For real. They both have advantages and disadvantages and on balance IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT SYSTEM YOU USE. My personal choice would be a dedicated video editing machine but they cost several thousands and I can't afford one. The advantage is that I'm not an editor. Frankly if you try cutting a film or video on a sub ?2000 system and it crashes all over the place, you've got what you paid for. And Mac users, don't pretend that your OS never crashes because it does and you know it.
For the record, I mainly use PC's, but also Mac's and ATARI as well.
---------------------
I will re-state, however, for the record, that the MAC-Mini is a rip-off piece of crap.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 09, 2005 10:51 AM: Message edited by: jb. ]</font>
Oh, I forgot, that "text based interface" as it seems to be being called, is no use if I can't get to the login screen. At least on other systems I can hold down a key at boot and be taken into my CMOS commands and DOS (or DOS-like thing) without trying to boot an OS.
--------------------
Hmmmm...DOS 5.1, did we ever need anything else?
Boot straight to the command line-
Hold Apple+S at boot (single user mode)
Hold T at boot - boot into firewire target disk mode (your Mac essentially becomes an external firewire harddrive so no you don't need to boot it to an OS).
There's more.
Enjoy your broken computers.
You can get Atari emulators you know?
Why would I want to emulate my ATARI software on an inferior machine with poor hardware-software interfacing, limited multitasking, and a crippled OS? My ATARI does the job fine already.
ATARI-TOS and GEM with MagiC. What else does anyone need?
--------------------
ATARI : For people who actually know something about computers.
Oh yeah, and it looks like those keyboard commands were super easy to find out.
---------------------
Macs. Pah!
I found some interesting benchmarks that should settle the "which computer is best" debate forever. Enjoy:
http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/images/Chart-1.png
and,
http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/images/Chart-2.png
---------------------
Tell me I'm not open minded...
Yeah. That makes a lot of sense Miker. Thanks for sharing.
---------------------
Mac G4, OS-X, er...64Mb RAM, 32Mb Graphics memory...er...20Gb HDD...now let's see...oh..."firewire" yeah that's cool...and...yeah "Airport" (but that was extra) and a....wassit called?...the thing...er...well whatever. but it was only ?1200 so there! And it looks pretty.
---------------------
Macs...because giving things a proper name is too confusing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, his observation is consistent, but only to a tiny degree. Because homosexuals and Mac users are both a small minority, one person?s assertion that all the gay men he knows use PCs means almost nothing. However, for the same reason, another person?s assertion that all the gay men he knows use Macs strongly supports my theory.Quote:
Since you can't have a fraction of a person and 0.04 is closer to zero than to one your observation is consistent with the hypothesis that there is no correlation between Mac ownership and sexual orientation.
Let us assume:
We are all straight guys who know 100 people, 2 of which are gay, and 5 or 6 of which own Macs.
5 % of straight people use Macs, and five times that proportion of gay men - 25% - use Macs.
Because we knew too few gay men or Mac owners to get an objective idea, most peoples experience would be the same as that of matty2phatty ? all the gay men they know use PCs and all the straight people they know use Macs, even though gay men are 5 times more likely to be Mac users.
The only way we?ll ever know for sure if there is any correlation between sexuality and choice of computer architecture is if we conduct a massive census. I don?t really want to know that badly. I think we've already looked at this in enough detail. Just take my word for it ? Macs are gay gay gay.
OK Boys...The Gay thing has gone on to long. Get back to flaming about Mac/PC or post on other threads.
Good Luck
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">From a purely mathematical POV that makes no senseQuote:
Originally posted by Actor:
From a purely mathematical POV that is a meaningless statistic.
* Suppose you know 100 people
* Suppose 2 of them are gay.
* Suppose 2 of them own Macs.
* Then the expectation value of the number of people who are gay and own Macs is 0.04 people.
* Since you can't have a fraction of a person and 0.04 is closer to zero than to one your observation is consistent with the hypothesis that there is no correlation between Mac ownership and sexual orientation.
I completely agree with jb about editing. It doesn't matter PC or Mac, but the level (and therefore cost) of the system. I've used both platforms in high-end & low-end configurations and they each have their own set of problems. When the level of the platform goes up, your problems go down on both.
Very well said, jb. Great general advice.
Dan Rahmel
Author: "Nuts and Bolts Filmmaking"
http://www.cvisual.com
Hello everyone.
I've just bought a G4 iBook (?699/1.2ghz256RAM+256), its all white and very gay looking. I am of course very secure in my sexuality and don't have a problem if people think I'm gay cause of my gay looking iBook. I'd be more offended about being accused of being a geek (I'm a very cool guy).
Anyhow I love my new laptop.
Lets talk LONGHORN. windows XP is nearly 5 years old, when is it gonna be launched.
PS the film is pure propoganda, I've never heard so rubbish.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not really. I just love a good math challenge.Quote:
Originally posted by Matty2phatty:
We're getting very serious about this aren't we [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
[img]wink.gif[/img]
Well Junglegeek,
XP is not 5 years old. Check your facts, it was released in 2002. And who cares about the OS anyway? You see, this is the problem with Mac zealots. You can't differntiate between HARDWARE and SOFTWARE. Microsoft has made <u>none</u> of the hardware components that I, or most people, use. We buy PC's because they're flexible. I'm bored of people telling me about Microsofts "monopoly" on computer users. I bought all of my PC components seperately and assembled it myself. I can choose from about 8 or 9 different OS's, some free, some I pay for. But I don't HAVE to use Windows.
By contrast. Apple is the big monopoly corporation. You buy a Mac, you pretty much HAVE to use Apple's hardware and software. They're not flexible machines. Hardware wise, they're weak. They come in this stupid little box and everything's done for you already. It's all assembled and there is next to no hardware configuration that I can do. At least with my PC I can open it up and start playing with the jumpers on the motherboard. Apples are too limited, too underpowered, and too expensive. The OS is quite nice but it's noting special. Why are Mac owners always banging on about how "superior" their OS is? I use a Mac; it isn't. It's about the same as every OS everywhere, AND THEY ARE ALL SHIT.
For the record. I use a Mac and a PC running windows. On balance, there is no difference.
Oh and PLEASE, somebody quickly remind me that "Mac's are the industry standard for graphics design and publishing." You know why? BECAUSE GRAPHICS DESIGNERS WENT TO ART COLLEGE AND THEY DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT COMPUTERS.
You know what? I hate ALL computers. Even the one I'm using right now (especially the one I'm using right now, as it is at work!). Computers are the new television, they really are. 50 years ago kids would be in the playground arguing if Zorro or The Lone Ranger was better. Now they're all playing "my OS is better than your OS". Who cares? Go outside and get some excercise! Read a book! Do <u>something</u>. God, were going to be a planet of useless retards at this rate, unable to walk 5 feet without an "iPod" or a "Notebook". Just quit now, failures.
Oh and Dan; Thanks for the kind words.
----------------------
Go play football.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 13, 2005 06:07 AM: Message edited by: jb. ]</font>
Sorry I missed a bit of the sentence out I should have said:
Windows XP will be over 5 years old when Longhorn's planned to be released.
One of the reason why its having problems (longhorn) is that they(microsoft) don't make any hardware, and thus are trying support rather alot of different manufacturers etc.
Ahh, I see. That makes more sense. Yeap XP will be pretty old when the next-gen OS comes out from Microsoft. But the automatic updates and service packs are keeping it current with most new technology. It's quite a nice OS in my opinion.
----------------------
Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better than '95 *shudder*