-
Illegal U Turn
Friday I witnessed an illegal U-Turn. This happened like coming from Burger King on the 4-lane going into Norton, where you turn right and go toward the elementary pool, at the end of the bridge. This car wait's till the light turns and they do the U-Turn.
[img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
I've seen this done so many times but the great thing about this time is there a Norton Police car 2 cars back from me. As soon as the car made the U-Turn the blue lights came on [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
I'm sure glad they put the "BLUE LIGHTS" on whoever it was. I also think they need to be more observant of merging traffic coming onto Rt. 58 and Rt. 23,,, Some people do not think you have to yield. I was in Prime Sirloin once upon a time and there were 4 Norton Police officers eating. I told them I hated to interrupt their lunch, but I almost got run over trying to get off of 23 to 58.. they gave me a song and dance that they watch it, but can't catch everyone. BLAH BLAH BLAH,,, I also talked with the Mayor of Norton about it also...he told me he appreciated it and would work on it... OH WELL,, just have to keep practicing DEFENSIVE DRIVING,,, You better watch out for the other driver because they sure as hell don't watch out for you..
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
I assume you're referring to the southbound exit from 23 to 58. Not that it matters as those on the main road have no obligation to yield to those merging into the road.
Coming off of 58 onto 23 southbound can be hairy due to the nature of the exit. Having one lane for both inbound and outbound traffic was a serious mistake. When I was going to MECC in the mid 90s, it wasn't unusual for me to be passed on the inbound ramp at least once a week. I would go out as far as possible without impeding outbound traffic and stop if necessary. People behind me would just go around and force their way into the flow of traffic.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
Coming off of 23 to get onto 58 under the bridge is not hard to figure out. The driver coming off of 23 is not supposed to stop but merge into traffic or drive to the shoulder past the end of the exit (this directly from a drivers ed teacher and a Norton police officer I brought the subject up with) as for the drivers coming onto the exit these drivers slow down to take the exit as the driver coming off the exit speeds up and goes in fornt of the driver coming off and the driver coming off falls in behind and procceeds up the exit. It is the same for traffic above merging onto 23 towards Big Stone. All the people around seem to think they have to speed up and go in front of the people coming off the exit then they have to slam on their brakes to get slowed enough to make the turn when all they had to do was slow drop in behind the person coming off the exit as the one coming off speeds up. This is not a hard concept, just go to any large city and drive around and see how it is done.
If you really want to see some bad driving go to Kentucky sometime and drive down the highway. These duma$$es pull out in front of you doing 60 and go about 50 yards and turn off. I go between Whitesburg and Hazard alot and there is allways evidence of a new wreck on that road. My father-in-law came over saturday and he said there was a car just drove straight into a highwall coming from a side road next to Carr Creek Lake this actually seems to be the worst stretch in the road where I see the most.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
They will bust you for 7 miles an hour over the speed limit, a u-turn, one too many drinks, no seat belt, but the same overloaded trucks destroy the taxpayers highways and spill crap onto passing cars and the roadside, day after day. Appy could collect a fortune with a full time set of scales. But that isn't an Appy crime so the "special" investigator won't look that way.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
[ QUOTE ]
Coming off of 23 to get onto 58 under the bridge is not hard to figure out. The driver coming off of 23 is not supposed to stop but merge into traffic or drive to the shoulder past the end of the exit (this directly from a drivers ed teacher and a Norton police officer I brought the subject up with)
[/ QUOTE ]
I can't hardly believe that. that is crazy. When did Yield become merge? I was taught Yield was to slow down and if something was coming you had to YIELD the right of way and stop.
I can see what you are saying if it is A car coming but when it is more you can't just pull out and merge.
We have drivers ed teachers teaching this? no wonder we can't drive anymore [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
I hate people that stop at a yield sign, it drives me insane...
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
Notice that yield signs are red, which means stop! A trooper told me once that yield and stop meant the same thing in Virginia. I was always taught that if I had a yield sign in front of me the other driver had the right-of-way, no matter what.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
Sometimes ya gotta stop and I understand that, I just hate when people don't even think about merging they treat it exactly as a stop sign.
A cop once told me that any stop sign that has a white boarder around the outside can be treated as a yield sign. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/citizen.../vadm2-6.asp#3
Drivers entering an interstate from an entrance ramp must yield the right-of-way to traffic already on the highway.
Triangle: Yield
Slow down to a speed reasonable for the conditions and yield the right-of-way. Stop if necessary.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
he's moreless just saying common courtesy sometimes if the other lane is open why not get over not that you have to.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
Right - and I do agree with common courtesy. Folks don't have to do it, but it's nice when they do.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
Usually if the ramp is long enough, i'll just get up to highway speed or faster so that it's easy to merge.
People who try to merge at 35 are the ones who usually end up stopping.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
When you see the merge sign you need to speed up and MERGE. The other does have a yeild sign, I think. The worst part for me was always granny and gramps trying to cross 3 lanes to get to Wal-Mart, as if their life depended on it.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
on our way to Bristol the other day some lady merged into 3 lanes of traffic doing like 40, at the most, in a 65 mph zone right in front of an 18 wheeler... Blue and I were honestly scared for her life b/c it's not like the 18 wheeler could have just stopped nor could he have gotten over b/c of other on coming vehicles. The lady still had plenty of the merge lane left but decided to just get over anyway. The truck probably came w/n a few feet of her bumper, he eventually passed her blowing her horn the bad part was once she was on the highway she still barely sped up any...you could tell she was scared to death to be in that kind of heavy traffic though b/c when we passed her she has her hand covering the side of her face that was near traffic. you really do need to be up to speed to merge like that and the merge lane is there for a reason too.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
[ QUOTE ]
on our way to Bristol the other day some lady merged into 3 lanes of traffic doing like 40, at the most, in a 65 mph zone right in front of an 18 wheeler... Blue and I were honestly scared for her life b/c it's not like the 18 wheeler could have just stopped nor could he have gotten over b/c of other on coming vehicles. The lady still had plenty of the merge lane left but decided to just get over anyway. The truck probably came w/n a few feet of her bumper, he eventually passed her blowing her horn the bad part was once she was on the highway she still barely sped up any...you could tell she was scared to death to be in that kind of heavy traffic though b/c when we passed her she has her hand covering the side of her face that was near traffic. you really do need to be up to speed to merge like that and the merge lane is there for a reason too.
[/ QUOTE ]
This is why driver's license renewals need to be more than just go and get a new picture taken. AT least every 10-15 years you should have to have a new comprehensive road test (not just drive downtown turn and come back). And after the age of 50 drop road tests to every 5 years. Alot of older people are good drivers and drive safely but do it so slowly that they are a hinderence and a danger the way roads are now-a-days.
Go to the D.C. northern Va. area and try and stop at a yeild sign instead of just merging into traffic. If your not up to speed and doing at least 70 in most places then you are in the way and endangering yourself and others, driving in that place is something everyone around here needs to experience.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
I am a firm believer that after age 50, you should be required to submit to a comprehensive road test every year. Folks say when I say that "Bet you will feel different when you hit 50". Bet I won't. If I can't be safe on the road, I need to get off of it, and not run the risk of killing an innocent person(s). Almost every near accident that I have been involved in was due to some elderly driver who forgot to do something, or could not see. Alot of folks have rapid medical changes after they hit 50. It scares me knowing that folks who have Alzheimer's (early stages, or don't even know they have it) have their license and are on the road. Folks complain about young drivers, but there's at least as much danger if not more going too slow than going too fast.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
I'm not sure that extreme is necessary...but not sure its not. Seems like that should be the case unless a person is checked regularly at a doctor or something. You have some who take care of themselves and honestly when I'm 50, the last thing I'll want to do is spend time at the DMV every year (its bad enough when I have to go to there now).
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
I wouldn't want to spend a day at the DMV at age 50 either, but I certainly wouldn't want to spend EVERY day for the rest of my life hurting over the fact that I killed or hurt someone because the ol' eyesight or reflexes weren't as sharp as they once were.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
True enough, for some people, but some are to proud to think thats ever a factor. Its such a source of independence, that I honestly believe some elders would die, either a)because they started feeling really old or b) because some of their sorry deadbeat kids wouldn't spend 10 minutes on them and they would end up dead there without medicine or food or something.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
I can sympathize with those folks who don't have reliable persons to help them out. Perhaps at the very least make the driving test mandatory each time you come up for renewal.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
Another issue is traffic pattern changes. My grandfather turned his DL in when he pulled onto a section of highway that had just been upped to 4 lanes. The thing about it was he was on the wrong side of the 4 lanes. His physical skills were good and the mental also, he just said ,"I'll never get used to this, I'm gonna quit before I get hurt." It is one of the many things that need fixed, how are the older folks gonna get around when they can't drive?
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
Surprise traffic pattern changes can get anyone!
I left Blacksburg one weekend some years ago and when I came back a few days later I got turned around the wrong direction trying to get back to my house. They changed the exits without warning.
I also was surprised by the shiny new 4-way stop at WalMart recently. That was a fine how-do-you-do. "Hello you just ran a stop sign that wasn't there 2 days ago."
Were two of the signs taken down officially or were they stolen? I noticed the next day two of the 4-way-stop signs were gone.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
You would be surprised how many stories I hear from my dad about elderly people driving down the wrong side of a 4 lane. He does alot of driving for Morgan-McClure going and getting cars for them. It seems like every trip he sees something.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
[ QUOTE ]
I am a firm believer that after age 50, you should be required to submit to a comprehensive road test every year. Folks say when I say that "Bet you will feel different when you hit 50". Bet I won't. If I can't be safe on the road, I need to get off of it, and not run the risk of killing an innocent person(s). Almost every near accident that I have been involved in was due to some elderly driver who forgot to do something, or could not see. Alot of folks have rapid medical changes after they hit 50. It scares me knowing that folks who have Alzheimer's (early stages, or don't even know they have it) have their license and are on the road. Folks complain about young drivers, but there's at least as much danger if not more going too slow than going too fast.
[/ QUOTE ]
Check and see which age group has the most accidents, the most fatal accidents, and receives the most moving violation citations. It aint the group over 50, bub. Why do you think your insurance rates decrease as you get older?? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
The younger group gets it because we are busy trying to look out for/dodge old codgers like your group amigo.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think your insurance rates decrease as you get older??
[/ QUOTE ]
The AARP is by far the more powerful lobbie out there and the Old folk sure do turn up at the poles if insurence companys pulled the same stuff with older drivers as they do younger drivers they would probably be 200 or 300 bills past to stop it befor you could turn around.......That being said they are alot of bad drivers out there young and old doing a retest every so many years would probably not be a bad idea
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
And a spelling test should be given too!!!!!
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
hay I still know what to do at the SOTP sign LOL
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
I spend 5-6 hours a day on the road on my job, 5 days a week, 51 weeks a year. That doesn't count the other hours I'm traveling. I don't see the old farts out there driving recklessly or improperly. On the other hand, I do see it from the 16-30 age group. By far, the most courteous drivers are those over 50, while the younger ones have that mindset of "Stay the hell out of my way, its MY road! I have the right-of-way!" But then, I shouldn't expect any less. They're the same group that will jump the line, close a door in your face, and stand up in front of those who are seated at an event...for the duration of the event. I'm not saying the whole generation is like that, but they sure seem to have more than their share.
Again, stats don't lie, and my generation certainly isn't the one causing insurance rates to go up!
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think your insurance rates decrease as you get older??
[/ QUOTE ]
The AARP is by far the more powerful lobbie out there and the Old folk sure do turn up at the poles if insurence companys pulled the same stuff with older drivers as they do younger drivers they would probably be 200 or 300 bills past to stop it befor you could turn around.......That being said they are alot of bad drivers out there young and old doing a retest every so many years would probably not be a bad idea
[/ QUOTE ]
What in the blue [censored] does the AARP and the Polish have to do with insurance rates?
Older drivers are safer drivers. They know their limitations and never exceed them. Younger drivers, OTOH, will often exceed their limitations.
While I wouldn't support yearly retesting for those over 50 (maybe 70), I do think that drivers should be tested every 10 years (every second license renewal). People forget things, or get the details askew in their minds.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
Now that certainly makes more sense, and I agree that a periodic retesting should be done. 10 year intervals sound about right. Twice a year for those under the age of 30!!! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
Now you can't go generalizing the young group as uncourteous. Yeah, there is a healthy dose of that, but then again there's a healthy dose of elderly folks who are so hateful that even though you are sweet as sugar to them (I was taught to respect my elders, and have actually been snapped at tons of times simply for being nice), they are miserable, and feel that everybody in the world should be as miserable and hateful as them. But alas, we digress.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
My family went on a bus tour to Washington, D.C. a few years back in the early spring. Naturally, most of the folks on the tour were retiree age. When they saw 7 teenagers get on the bus, the blood left their face. My then 14 year old son spent most of his time watching out for the ladies and one old gentleman in particular, making sure they got in and out when and where they needed to. At the end of the tour, the guide stood up and made a speech about how well mannered our kids were, and how they were not of the norm (this guy's had PLENTY of experience there, you see!). The folks on the bus gave them a standing ovation. My wife was actually offended that those folks EXPECTED our kids to misbehave.
Around here, the kids are by-and-large respectful to their elders. But leave this region.......... [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
I don't think 50-69 are that big a hazard but you show me a driver 70+ and I will show you a road hazard (There are exceptions to the rule of couese but it is still true 90% of the time) Kids 16- 21,22 lack the experance to drive safly Seniors in there 70's 80's or 90's lack the moter skills and/or eye site/hearing. (My mother and her sisters do everything in there power to keep my Grandmother off the road since every ride is a fendor bendor or near miss) I am convinced that if allowed to drive she would not live to see 07
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
The thing that bothers me the most about elderly drivers is they will drive 45 in the passing lane because they know they have a left hand turn 27 miles down the road. If your not gonna drive the speed limit or higher stay in the slow lane!!
I just wish people would drive in the slow lane and pass in the passing lane, it would make things alot easier, The Beast is right if people from this area went to a place like Atlanta and drove like this it wouldn't be pretty. Any where else I go if i'm in the fast lane and come up on another driver they will get over and let me pass, that never happens around here.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
There is no such thing as the 'slow lane' or the 'fast lane'. The speed limit in either lane is 55, 65, etc. The left lane is for passing only. It isn't a place for you to camp out if you're going 10 MPH faster than the flow of traffic.
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
Here is a link that says what I was tring to much better than I can the info is from 1996 so it is alittle dated
here is gist of the info
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, there's cause for concern when elderly people do drive because they have higher rates of fatal crashes per mile driven, per 100,000 people, and per licensed driver than any other group except young drivers.
[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.luhs.org/depts/injprev/Transprt/tran3.htm
[ QUOTE ]
Relatively few deaths of elderly people--1 percent or fewer--involve motor vehicles. Cancer, heart disease, and stroke are the leading causes of death among people 65 years and older. Fewer elderly people are licensed to drive, compared with younger groups, and they drive fewer miles per licensed driver.
On the other hand, there's cause for concern when elderly people do drive because they have higher rates of fatal crashes per mile driven, per 100,000 people, and per licensed driver than any other group except young drivers. A problem is that elderly drivers don't deal as well as younger ones with complex traffic situations, and multiple-vehicle crashes at intersections increase markedly with age. Elderly drivers are more likely to get traffic citations for failing to yield, turning improperly, and running stop signs and red lights.
Once they're in crashes, elderly people are more susceptible than younger people to medical complications following motor vehicle crash injuries. This means they're more likely to die from their injuries.
The following facts are based on analysis of data from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Fatality Analysis Reporting System:
7,078 people 65 years and older died in motor vehicle crashes in 1996, 1 percent more than in 1995 and 32 percent more than in 1975.
Eighty percent of elderly deaths in 1996 motor vehicle crashes were passenger vehicle occupants, and 17 percent were pedestrians.
People 65 years and older represented 13 percent of the population in 1996 and 17 percent of motor vehicle deaths. By 2030, elderly people are expected to represent 20 percent of the population.
Population, Mileage, and Licensure Rates
People age 70 and older have more motor vehicle deaths per 100,000 people than other groups except people younger than 25.
Per mile driven, drivers 75 years and older have higher rates of fatal motor vehicle crashes than drivers in other age groups except teenagers.
Per licensed driver, fatal crash rates rise sharply at age 70 and older.
Crash Types
About half of fatal crashes involving drivers 80 years and older occur at intersections and involve more than one vehicle. This compares with 23 percent among drivers up to age 50.
People 75 years and older have the highest pedestrian death rates per 100,000 people.
At age 80 and older, the pedestrian death rate per 100,000 among men is more than 3 times as high as at age 79 and younger.
Gender Differences
The motor vehicle death rate per 100,000 people begins to rise among males at age 65. By age 80 and older, the rate among men is more than twice as high as it is at age 40-74.
At all ages, males have much higher motor vehicle death rates per 100,000 people compared with females. By age 85 and older, the rate is more than 3 times as high among men as among women.
[/ QUOTE ]
-
Re: Illegal U Turn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People age 70 and older have more motor vehicle deaths per 100,000 people than other groups except people younger than 25.
Per mile driven, drivers 75 years and older have higher rates of fatal motor vehicle crashes than drivers in other age groups except teenagers.
[/ QUOTE ]
[/ QUOTE ]
Kind of what I was saying..........
-
UT1
You have 7 TEENS?? or did? ha