I thought the raiders looked pretty thin last night during the practice they had. Devin looked good throwing and the front line is pretty big. I Also thought it was petty cool to practice that late. Had a pretty good crowd out to be late.
Printable View
I thought the raiders looked pretty thin last night during the practice they had. Devin looked good throwing and the front line is pretty big. I Also thought it was petty cool to practice that late. Had a pretty good crowd out to be late.
I think it was an awesome idea. I hate preseason scrimmages though because everybody has crazy predictions. I remember last year after our scrimmages and jamboree that people were predicting that we would do no better than 6-4 or 7-3. These were Nortonians too. Nobody can go by what they see in scrimmages because most coaches are only working on things that need work or plays that the players need live reps with. That is the whole point of scrimmages and not just running up the score to impress the fans.
That late of a intersqad or what not is sort of wild. I wonder what the parents thought.
I don't know but there was a bigger crowd for that last night then there ever is on normal saturday hitting.
Is Devin Talley basically set to be the starting QB this season? Or is the position still up for grabs?
Im guessing he does have the job.
I wouldnt be shocked if they don't split reps with him and Honeycutt.
Last time I talked to him about it, they werent working him out any at qb...
I'd heard about Hunnicutt previously being one of the contenders for the position, but I'm assuming that the way you're talking, this is no longer the case?
I remember last year he was one of the backup QB's, but since you say they're no longer working with him at QB, does this mean they've moved him away from the position all together? If so, who else has stepped up at this point? It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together this year.
Yes he was and was pretty good.
Then I guess when Talley played some last year they just went with him. But when I talked to him about the situation was 1st semester during weightlifting last year so its been a couple of months, mightve changed it but thats what he said...Rock may be right though.
Aug 22nd you will have your answer.
My God.. It's hard to believe that's less than 3 weeks from now, isn't it?
Time has flown like never before.
I'm excited as hell for football to start....
best time of the year.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UTVols2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aug 22nd you will have your answer. </div></div>
That exactly right, from what I hear now its completely up in the air and Rock was right. Both are very capable of doing the job, Hunnicutt is good and has been practicing at the spot for a few years..so for any that think Talley has it hands down are mistaken...it will come down to Coach Adams but both are very talented and either could do very good at the QB position.
You enjoy talking out of both sides of your mouth don't you? Exactly how much of this situation do you know little Raider? I find it funny how you are certain and always in the "thick of things" Tell me what changed your mind?
Talking out of both sides of my mouth? dont remember doing that...I said what I know of the situation and from what I know it is up in the air, both are very capable of doing the job...now what is wrong with that comment?
I am sure Coach Adams has a pick in mind, but at the same time it is to early to tell. He will most likely give both quarterbacks a shot. Just some assumptions, to begin with I live in Big Stone so I am a PV fan, but I also respect the Raider program. I beleive their defense will be solid again this year and will keep them in some games, on the other hand I do not feel like they will be able to put up the points to beat the likes of Clintwood. Clintwood will be tough to handle this year and PV will be able to compete if they just run the ball.My top 3 would have to be, in order, Clintwood, PV, Raiders.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raider13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im guessing he does have the job. </div></div>
Was this not your post earlier? You were talking about one kid not two I am a little confused that is all. One post you talk like you KNOW what is going on when I really think you know nothing at all that is going on just like everyone else. At this point there is only one man who knows what is going on and he is not talking.
Yes that was my post and it was yesterday I think, I said im GUESSING he does...then I found out it was not the case that its up in the air...and in the next post I did not say one of the had it, I dont know who does...
Both QB's will be used this season. Both are good athletes and will do well plus I think it will help on both sides of the ball. Both will be playing both ways I would imagine and won't be completely worn out.
Alex and Devin are both good QB's. There were ? about Devins arm and I thought it didn't look bad the other night. Didn't thank it would stir up anything.
Looking forward to seeing what the Raiders can do this year. But, I think its going to be a rebuilding year. As for the QB, Ethan leaves some big shoes to fill.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSkulls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both QB's will be used this season. Both are good athletes and will do well plus I think it will help on both sides of the ball. Both will be playing both ways I would imagine and won't be completely worn out. </div></div>
I am not a big fan of alternating QBs while it may give some D cordanaters problems if each has a differant skillset i.e.(Passer/Runner) I think you lose more than you gain due to spliting the reps the started is taking with the 1st Offence in practice since there is no way for them to be as polished as a player taking 90%-100% of the 1st team reps......Of course on the positive side Norton will be better equiped if the QB goes down than anyone else in the league.
Will the Raiders be as explosive on offense as the past 5 years, I don't think so, however, when you have Cup and Martinez as your RB's to go along with Devin, Alex, Russell Rice, at other skill position players I don't think it will be as down of a year for Burton as some think. Will Godsey will punt more than normal but Burton will still hang 40 points a game on the board IMO. Defense is solid again this year and Cup/Martinez are beast this year. Cup has worked nonstop since his injury last year. Heard he was setting all kinds of records in the weight room this summer.
You lose Ethan who was a great leader and athlete from last year but you had a suspect line at best too. Now you have a somewhat battle tested line now to go with the "new" QB which will help. Also, it isn't like these two QB's have never seen the field or are freshman. They are both SR's who have plenty of on field experience whether it be at the QB position or in other areas, which goes a long way.
I don't see Burton finishing anything worse than 7-3, with a realistic possibility of 9-1 or 10-0 again this year. As long as we don't get hit with the injury bug again this year we should be playing C'Wood in for the District Title at the end of the year, if C'Wood stays healthy.
IMO it will be...
1. Clintwood
2. Burton
3. Wise/PV
5. Appy
6. Pound
everyone seems to be focusing on burtons QB which I understand is VERY important but any idea who is going to play FB that is what makes the Jet work
Coleman or Miles I'm guessing.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redtiger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everyone seems to be focusing on burtons QB which I understand is VERY important but any idea who is going to play FB that is what makes the Jet work </div></div>
Got some family on the team and they've told me Jimbo's been practicing Godsey at FB.
Interesting, makes sense though.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lpdbuckeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redtiger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everyone seems to be focusing on burtons QB which I understand is VERY important but any idea who is going to play FB that is what makes the Jet work </div></div>
Got some family on the team and they've told me Jimbo's been practicing Godsey at FB. </div></div>
You know I was thinking that they would need another big guy to fill that spot and Godsey should be a hoss there and it would leave Coleman and Miles on the wings where they can run the Jet and get into pass routs eaisyer
Godsey will be tough in the backfield. Has he traditionally been playing Tightend?
Yes he was at TE and bangedup in the 2 Clintwood games IMHO they will not have a big dropoff with him at FB but theu WILL miss his blocking on the corner for the Jet
The rotating QB's could be a plus or a shot in the foot for the Raiders this year. I believe it comes down to how composed these young QB's will be in a tense situation.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burton2019</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rotating QB's could be a plus or a shot in the foot for the Raiders this year. I believe it comes down to how composed these young QB's will be in a tense situation. </div></div>
If one goes down then it will be a HUGE bost for them to have been running with 2 HOWEVER IMHO the starting QB needs a ton of reps and in the 2 QB situation they are cutting those reps in half........It may turn out fine in that ther is 1 true starter and the 2nd guy has a package of plays that he can hanlde better than the starter
Theyre not that young, I cant remember if they held back or not but if they didnt then they are both seniors...But I think they are both very capable of doing the job well
Well Seniors are better than freshmen that is for sure and I am not saying that they will fall on there face heck they BOTH may be as good a Stewart for all I know.......That being said Both have yet to start a game at QB making them in need of as many 1st team reps as they can get.
Jimbo is a very good coach and I am sure he knows what he is doing I am just pointing out that I do not like the rotating QB in College (even though there are situation where it works well) and I HATE it at the HS level (reminds me of my kids at McDondalds pick the Hamberger or the chickin but for goodness sake pick one or the other)