Anyone heard how the turn out was today?
Printable View
Anyone heard how the turn out was today?
I went at 1215 today and was number 99.
I don't know how the turnout was, haven't got any calls, but looked like it was "okay" in Coeburn - I was 126 and that was around 3 I believe. But these precincts have been flooded with people from SP, Appy and Pound standing outside...even though they can't even vote for Powers. I know there were around 8 Appy people at Wise Co. Christian School and there was a crowd just as large of Pound people in front of Coeburn's, lovely how they injected themselves into it. Curious to see how the negative "ads" have worked for Powers, rare to see that on a local level like that, but he managed to take some shots at Greear...pitiful.
Well polls are closed now, shouldn't be long from now to hear the results, really hope District 4 made the right choice.
So far : Powers carried the South Coeburn Precinct 262 votes to Greears 211. Not looking good, because he's going to lose big in SP.
Yup, get's killed in SP, 370 to 13.
Well, at least we can say now that there are now 8 elected officials on the SB now. Don't know how to take that, since the whole thing is a clusterf##k now.
Thank goodness for the tie-breaker is all I can say, this is sad because I have so much respect for Mr. Greear - incredibly nice, intelligent and was doing what's best for the children with 35 years plus as an educator. Looks like there's still plenty in this county that want us to live in the dark ages and want us to just die out altogether so they can yell "go dawgs" or whatever at ball games. Just so thankful for whoever found that we could have a tie-breaker, saved the whole counties ass.
Powers officially wins 755 to 615.
CVC precinct - 350 to 88 for Greear.
South Coeburn precinct - 262 to 211 for Powers.
SP precinct - 370 to 13 for Powers
And absentee votes - 41 to 25 for Greear.
So what does this do for the schools?
Well, democracy was at work tonight, for better or worse, our democratic policies worked at this election just as it has at all other elections, local or national. I am not saying that I agree or disagree with it. Rather, I am saying that I support our democratic process.
If anything it incorporates the "tie breaker" (a pro consolidation person) more often.
He'll likely be deciding everything, the 4 anti members hardly vote for anything the other 4 want(consolidation or not)...from the budget issues, to personnel, all these people did was just leave these decisions up to him and consolidation still happens.
I don't know this Powers guy from a hole in the wall, but I do know Larry Greear and have for several years. I was rooting for him, and not just from a pro-consolidation stance. Moreso because I know he is highly intelligent and would have looked at the plans presented and made the proper choice, consolidation or not.
Good luck to Powers. But--as has been pointed out, thank haysoos for the tiebreaker.
The idea of an appointed tie-breaker is the dumbest idea in the world. Nobody takes us seriously and I totally understand why.
the bad thing is that I'm afraid that a lot of people that were for consolidation will be so put off by the way things have gone down they just don't care anymore
Honestly, I don't think it changes much at present. The consolidation vote has already occurred and can't be changed unless one of the "pro-voters" changes their mind -- its a 4 to 4 tie with a "pro" tie-breaker.
But, it will definitely bring the tie-breaker more so into the mix since nothing will probably be passed now whether it is for the best or not without breaking the tie.
A point I'd like to make though is that the "anti" crowd will again try to say this special election was a "loud and clear" statement. However, there were around 700 less votes cast in this special election than in the 2007 general election and this was only one district and isn't necessarily representative of the remainder of the County. I'm not so sure that the outcome would have been the same if the "cram plan" hadn't been enacted though. Also, Powers has to run again in November for the same seat and who says he will win then? Maybe he will, maybe he won't. This part alone makes this special election a real waste of money IMHO when they have to do it again in a few months.
I guess the drama continues......
Just wondering....would anything change even without the tie-breaker
The Anti crowd at the BOS level has used gridlock to its advantage.......now that the vote to concoladate has passes I would THINK that a 4-4 tie to go back would like wise die due to lack of a majorty.....Am I wrong on this?
I'm being dead-honest when I ask this, not flaming the guy--but what are Powers' qualifications for this position on the school board?
You would be correct on the point!
One might ask the same about Rocky and Cornett. But, in response, I don't think anyone knows what his qualification are educationally. Would you all like someone such as Bill Bevins or Danny Stallard or someone like Marlene Bush?
I am just tired of this whole mess and wish it was all over.