Altec Model 19 Prototypes
Anyone have any idea who this seller is/ever heard of this guy? He says "I was on the design team that built the model 19, we used the bass tuning of this cabinet"....... I'm very skeptical of this ad for many reasons--for example, why would the Model 19 prototypes have 16 ohm Valencia 846A components? Wouldn't you think they would have 416-8B's in them? Hmmmm.....
Vintage Altec Prototype Model 19's no reserve | eBay
While you're at it, check out this prototype of the Altec Mantaray Horn (see photo #4) :p
1994 Altec Model WD540D Chipper | eBay
Re: Altec Model 19 Prototypes
I think that prototype is nothing but BS !! Altec never would have mounted that woofer off center like that.
Re: Altec Model 19 Prototypes
Agreed.....obviously, cabinet dimenions are all wrong if for mod 19 as well.
Re: Altec Model 19 Prototypes
He I sent a few messages back and forth. He signed his messages "RR", if that helps anybody. When he first listed the speakers he said they were prototypes, but didn't go into any detail. When I questioned him, he answered politely, and gave a few more details...... now included in the auction. I encouraged him to add those details in order to add credibility to his claim.
He told me that he was an outside consultant that Altec would use from time to time. He's also has a pair of Rodspeakers that he plans on listing.
Re: Altec Model 19 Prototypes
My opinion is he is total BS. But I have been wrong more than once.
Re: Altec Model 19 Prototypes
I could have come up with better bullshit than that in my sleep.
Looks like somebody tried to port their 846A's for improved low end, nothing more.
Just my .02.................
Re: Altec Model 19 Prototypes
I'm glad I'm not the only one skeptical of this ad for many reasons. Of course, just little things like the wrong drivers, wrong (shape and size) cabs, wrong port, etc.!!!!! His initials are RR--looks like anyone who buys these has been RailRoaded...... Wish there was a way to have this scammer's ad pulled. Anyone who worked at Altec ever heard of an R.R.?? I still might buy the Mantaray prototype (see photo 4) ;)
1994 Altec Model WD540D Chipper | eBay
Re: Altec Model 19 Prototypes
It looks an awful lot like an old Altec Santiago - I've seen that speaker somewhere, just can't remember where. It maybe a modified Santiago...the 1218 had an offset woofer like that, come to think of it.
Re: Altec Model 19 Prototypes
description formatted on his iPhone--(for a quick getaway?)
Re: Altec Model 19 Prototypes
That Mantaray Horn looks dead on to the original just a hair bigger. Of course you'll need a pair of them. :cool:
Re: Altec Model 19 Prototypes
But can you fit the prototype drivers into your living room?????