is it vinnie, JR, or bernard?
Printable View
is it vinnie, JR, or bernard?
How about gadd?
hey shedder,
i believe it might be HAL BLAINE. think he was the member of the L.A. wrecking crew?
Hal Blaine?
I'm not sure how you'd gauge this. Hopefully Randy will chime in as I'm guessing he might know.
Hmm, tough question. Hal Blaine would have owned the tile back in the 60s to early 70s. But Jeff Porcaro from 73 up until his death in 92 was on way more then Blaine ever was. Gadd has done quite a bit too.
I think it would be a tie between Gadd, JR and Jeff. But being that Jeff is gone, then it would between Gadd and JR, since those guys are consistantly in the studio. Vinnie has only been in the studio game since 79, Pages being his first ever session after leaving Zappa.
Gadd and Jeff were doing sessions in the ealry 70's. JR did not really hit the scene until around 79 I think, his big gig was Rufus and after that band recorded with Quincy Jones, Jones started to use JR quite abit, first on his solo cd The Dude, then on Michael Jacksons Off The Wall.
sorry for the winded response, hopefully it answers the question.
ah, Mr. Walker.
enlightening us once yet again! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
JR says he's the most recorded drummer ever on his website. i would think it's vinnie because he plays on more variety of situations than JR, jeff, or gadd. you'd never see any of them doing a randy waldman session to a michael buble session to megadeth. i mean come on. vinnie has to be the king.
Interesting question....
No way its Vinnie. JR very possibly. How much does Gadd still do? I wonder how much recording Harvey Mason, Earl Palmer, Al Jackson and Aronoff have done? I'm sure it's nowhere near JR or Gadd's total but I'd like to know.
Vinnie is not even close. With a guy like JR, Gadd or even Jeff, these guys were doing record dates sometimes 3 a day. there could be at least 3 to 10 discs released in a given year that had their name on it.
How about the Motown guys like Benny Benjamin or even the Stax guys? Maybe they played on more hits as opposed to records. I think Randy is right though, Jeff has got to be up there.
CB
i guess shedder's topic was about 'most recorded' as opposed to 'most recorded hits'? [img]confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">did you mean week?Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Walker:
there could be at least 3 to 10 discs released in a given year that had their name on it.
vinnie wins by a landslide if you count the bootlegs. [img]wink.gif[/img]
Its Bernard "Pretty" Purdie...
he is in the guiness book from last year or two years ago I believe!!!
As far as I remember he recorded thousands of records. If you visit his website it mentions that. "The World's most recorded drummer"
And also if you visit the guiness website there are some really cool stuffs regarding "drumming records" like...the longest drum solo; 57 hours and 17minutes, the most drumbeats in a minute...
Go check it out guys:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp?id=54674
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp?id=54634
Mr.Groover
For a look at Jeff's sessions, year-by-year, email me. The guy lived in the studio from '77-82'
There is a guy in Germany, Kurt Kress? I think
He has done a lion's share of recording.
Just curious, do you count indie albums or are you talking about dates for major labels?
In a couple of years from now, the most recorded drummer will be Josh Freese - at the rate he's going now! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Remember there are many less famous guys who have been doing sessions full-time, day
after day for 20-30-40 years. Buddy Harmon, Tommy Wells, Bill Maxwell. Who knows how many sessions some of these guys have done?
Jingles, sound-a-likes, sound tracks, commercials, albums, demos etc.. They are all
categorized as recorded performances.
Vinnie, JR, Porcaro, Gadd. They are certainly up there but I would venture to say that there are
others who could equal or surpass them as far as quantity.
Hi Guys,
I heard that the sessions Guys in LA are Jr Laboriel, Curt Bisquera, Kenny Aronoff, Harvey, Vinnie, Jr...
What about Ricky Lawson, Johnathan Moffet ?
What do you think ?
Peace.
Earl Palmer, Al Jackson, Harvey Mason, Paul Leim, and Eddie Bayers are some others who have done quite a few.
Palmer and Jackson bothy have a nice resume though short, Leim and Bayers, now you're talking, although Eddie has not been in the session world as long as Paul has. Leim got his start in LA as the power ballad king, hits like Lionel Ritchies Penny Lover..........
in the middle 90's Eddie was on what 70% of the country stuff coming out, mixed with Lonnie Wilson and Paul. Carlos Vega did a few discs with Vince Gill and Reba.
Larrie Londin's name could possibly have his name in there somewhere too.
Gadd, I think.
Carrying sticks, cymbals and snare,
it was one studio to the next and
trying to stay awake.
[img]cool.gif[/img]
When all is said and done, I think Canadian Randy Cooke will be up there aswell...he has recorded with virtually every big name on the Canadian Scene and has done a lot of work down south aswell...he's still quite young aswell from what I gather...I've heard from some sources that he has been credited on hundreds and hundreds of albums...and like I said, still a young guy, so I'm sure there are many more records to come with him playing...he's like canada's version of Josh Freese...a young guy who has already accomplished a lot and will still accomplish a lot in the future...
Brad,
[img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img]
[img]cool.gif[/img]
Bill Maxwell is as mentioned before, very far up there. Many producers don't use him for like a whole session but, there's just times when they go. "let's call Bill and Abraham ( Laboriel ) " They've done alot as a duo in the studio.
Another new drummer to Consider is the THe Roots drummer Questlove or AKA Ahmir Thompson, he's playing on tons of new stuff. From UK Josh Stone to the most underground stuff in NYC to N.E.R.D. If the contemporary music stays as it is today, he will do alot of studio gigs in the future.
But the studio scene has changed.
The most recorded drummer ever, is the japaneese nuclear scientist who invented the Midi drums and further the digital Drum Machine. It's sad, but true [img]frown.gif[/img]
How are we ever gonna win the war against these McDonalds productions, how can people ever feel the love and pocket in a groove from a drum machine when buying a record? :Sigh:
I'd also like to think about the most recorded muscisian? David Sancious, Abraham Laboriel, Larry Carlton. I think that the studio monopoly in the Bass world is much more extreme than in the drummerworld so it would be interesting to look into the business over there [img]wink.gif[/img]
I don't know if someone mentioned this already, but Kenny Arnof has to be up there too!
Yeah Chris, I talked about Kenny aronoff...
Sorry Roger! Too many names here to follow! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well, I think we all know how Gadd managed to stay awake!
Hi Chris,
No problemo my friend, yeah, hard to follow...
Take care.
Our own erskoman has a very impressive set of numbers in this field, 400+...............
As far as most recorded musician goes that award could very easily go to Paulino De Costa (percussionist) there was a long period of time in which he was on every album that came out ( no exageration )
Nobody has mentioned sample CD's
I know a couple of drum sample CD's I did a while ago have sold thousand of units around the world. So who knows I could be the most recorded drummer in history!
I don't think there is any way of gauging this, but it is fun thinking about it.