-
Ok, I just wanted to shoot this out quick cause it's just another thing I been wondering about, now I've read everything from beginning to present over n over...maybe I missed it,BUT....was there anything ever said orgiven the idea about how Tambi got all the scars on her hand, cause I know thats how Katchoo tells em apart cause there was that time when Katchoo was scared for a moment then saw the scars and was at ease....cause as far as I remember nothing was ever said, but I just wanted make sure I didn't miss it.
------------------
"How bout if I was at a toll booth and really needed it, would you hook me up with a nickle?"
-
No, sorry. Can't help on that one. You read these books a lot more closely than I do. I didn't even pick up on that part about the scars on the hands.
Anyone else?
------------------
-Gem
Join "tmsiplist", a Strangers in Paradise fan mailing list at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tmsiplist/
-
I was under the impression that the scars were marks from the bandages that seem to be a fighting trademark of the Parker Girls (or Girls Formerly Known as Parker.) For some reason I always thought it was from wrapping the bandages too tight, or from the edges of the bandages scraping in when the bandaged hand gets in a really hard hit.
------------------
-
Yeah...I think I have to agree with Jardian.
Not speaking from personal experience of course (..or am I?) but a good hit with a bare fist will make your knuckles bleed. She probably did a lot of bare fisted fighting, and started wrapping her hands as a result...a little too late, of course http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/wink.gif
All the same, they help protect against those "annoying little scratches", I'm sure.
------------------
M.
"Euphoria has just been here, and she's looking terrible."
-Veruca Salt
WonderTwin Power...ACTIVATE!
Semilemelay!
-
Haha..I hate to be a stickler, but...I'm 90% sure those are scars, just by the way that Terry draws scars, like the ones on Katchoo's wrist that can be caught now n then in some frames. And as for the bandage marks, once again, Katchoo can tell Tambi and Bambi apart just by the 'marks' on Tambi's hand so obviously this has been a long, on going thing. Ever since the first appearence Tambi has had these 'marks' and if they are just bandage marks, boy, that has to hurt..haha....and as for regular just "beat em up ass kickin scars', Bambi and Katchoo have had their share of good ol' ass whoopin's to and niether of their hands are scared up like that. Katchoo's scars on her wrist were from an previous attempted suicide, I really don't recall how I knew that, but it's true.
Sorry for being so persistent and puttin my 2 extra cents in http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/smile.gif ...don't be sore!....haha
------------------
"How bout if I was at a toll booth and really needed it, would you hook me up with a nickle?"
-
Oh yeah ( here comes another 2 cents....haha) ...the way that Tambi's scars are drawn into some frames are drawn to purposly bring attention to nothing but the scars. I don't think Terry would have portrayed Tambi's hands like that just for the sake of doing it, with him...everything means somethin, but I haven't figured out what yet. Maybe I'm not suppose to know yet, but I was just double checkin'. Yeah, maybe I do follow pretty closely...I got into SIP when I was freshman in highschool, so call me a loser (but don't..ha) but I've had bout 6 years now to speculate and look over this stuff...and I still have questions http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/smile.gif
------------------
"How bout if I was at a toll booth and really needed it, would you hook me up with a nickle?"
-
Yep..no doubt they ARE scars, from battles past, or like..sticking her hand through a window in anger. I don't think they're henna tattoos.
Was just saying that she prolly wraps her hands to make fighting a little less stressful on her poor hands...boxers do it too, under their gloves, I think.
------------------
M.
"Euphoria has just been here, and she's looking terrible."
-Veruca Salt
WonderTwin Power...ACTIVATE!
Semilemelay!
-
While I actually agree with the "fought a lot bare knuckled" is probably the best explanation for Tambi wrapping her hands...I'm almost wondering if there isn't another reason for them and that she wraps them out of some sort of self conscious effort...I'm not saying, I'm just saying...
------------------
How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on...
-
Well...as I said..I don't think the answer is that simple...if no one knows a specific moment in SIP were the scars on her hands were specifically talked bout or mentioned then I don't believe we've been told that story yet....because I dont know why, but I believe there is some signifigance to Tambi's scars other than just being a bad ass and messin em up during combats. As I said before, I don't think her scared hands would have be portrayed to bluntly in frame after frame if they didnt have some kind of story behind them, be it just a small story of punching through a glass window or something like that...so if there hasnt been one yet, I believe there will be a story behind those hands.
------------------
"How bout if I was at a toll booth and really needed it, would you hook me up with a nickle?"
-
I think the assumption most of us have been working with is that she gets into so many fights and splinteres so many teeth with those knuckles that her hands necessarily got a little chewed up.
-
The hand wrapping apart from protection like the boxers is probably also become a ritual before serious ass kickin' eg.Tambi B4 Mister Digman, Tambi and Katchoo B4 Darcy's minions. Kinda like the Karate Kid 'Breathe in, breathe out'
Packing the Punch, so to speak. (OK stupid pun, I know)
------------------
The person who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammed Ali
Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead.
-
Katchoo also wrapped her hands before wailing on Frediie, back in issue 20, 21, or 22 (can't remember which).
I remember there was a discussion here a long time ago regarding Tambi's scars. I believe the consensus was that they are from the "rough" work she does and that's why she wraps them now. What I don't remember is if Terry confirmed this. I know he made some comments on that thread, just don't remember what.
------------------
The ninja lesbian milk getter. aka dorkflakes.
Take the time to feel the wind.
I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
"I'm not crazy, I'm just reality challenged" -tyledras
Help Hostboard by using that search engine.
ChatterBox
Bran's Place
-
Yeah, wrapping your hands keeps you from breaking your knuckles when you punch someone, most of the time. Most smart fighters will wrap their hands if they get the chance before mixing it up with someone. Women usually have smaller hands then men, and their bones tend to less dense on average (which is why women float correctly in water more easily than men - random trivia), so you will usually see any good female fighter wrap her hands taking care to pad around the knuckles. Basically, you don't want to be out of the fight after the first punch. As for Tambi, I agree with the idea that she probably got those scars from things like punching through windows in times of crisis. However, I'd also wager (depending on how much Terry knows about the subject) that some of the scars are from conditioning her hands over the years to fight. Because, let's face it, you don't punch through a car window with your bare hand without shattering some part of your fist, if not the whole thing. Unless you've conditioned your hands for years to be able to handle that kind of stress. Or unless you're a fictional character.
------------------
-
Hmmm...I believe the question got a little lost through some replies... http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/smile.gif ha..ok...screw the whole wrapping of the hands deal...thats kinda irrelivent from what I was trying to ask, though it is interesting. I know Tambi has scars on her hands...ok, thats given. How she got them was and if it was told already was what I was wondering. From what I figured, there;s probably some kinda of story behind them, even if its small, cause as I said before, in a lot of frames through out the comic Tambi's scared hands are brought attention to. As for just about every scar seen on everyone, theres a story..Ex: the scars on Katchoo's left wrist are from a previous suicide attempt...again, I don't recall how I knew that, but it's true...ok..well...maybe bad example..ok..scar on Katchoos right side is from when she got shot, ya know? 9 out of 10 times when something is present in a situation or physically visable that is in question, Terry will leave us guessing, but will eventually tell us, through the story that is...so...from the way I see the scars portrayed on Tambi's hands, I figure if they(the scars) have no been mentioned yet through the storyline, then we can't know because I don't believe that we're just suppose to assume how they got there and thats the end of it. Plus I mean, Tambi's not the only one who's had her fair share of ass whoopin's...even Bambi who is as equally blood thirsty and I'm sure as whooped some ass in her time, does not have those scars on her hands, niether does Katchoo.
I guess all I'm saying is I think ,even small, there has yet to be a story told on where Tambi's scars came from...I was just in question as to if maybe I had missed that story along the way.
Sorry for reiterating, just wanted clearify myself...I'm presistent when I want answers..hah.
But hey, I could be way wrong...as always, only Terry knows for sure..haha...damn the powers from above! hahaha.
------------------
"How bout if I was at a toll booth and really needed it, would you hook me up with a nickle?"
-
Personally, I've always assumed Tambi scars are part of the original Tambi-Bambi-Cinderella story that Terry will tell us one day or another...
------------------
"Resistere, resistere, resistere, come su un'irrinunciabile linea del Piave!"
-
Tambi-Bambi-Cinderella story? I don't recall, where'd ya get that?
------------------
"How bout if I was at a toll booth and really needed it, would you hook me up with a nickle?"
-
The one we've never seen! I mean, if Tambi and Bambi call Katchoo Cinderella, Bambi hates Katchoo to death and K. knows what the scars on Tambi's hands mean, there MUST be a LONG story behind it!!!!!
------------------
"Resistere, resistere, resistere, come su un'irrinunciabile linea del Piave!"
-
The Tambi/Bambi/Cinderella story is the fact that the three women all had the same father(Sonny Baker), but Katchoo was the illegitimate child, who grew up to become very powerful, having big influence with Darcy and other key players. There's probably more to the story than Terry has told us yet, however.
------------------
-
Yes, Yes...tambi/bambi/cindarella story...good call sarabiga...totally forgot bout that story not being told...sweeet!
------------------
"How bout if I was at a toll booth and really needed it, would you hook me up with a nickle?"
-
When Tambi visited Kat in the hospital and Kat noticed that Tambi was not wearing the wrappings, Kat was relieved because it meant Tambi was not there to kill her. At least not in the hospital, where vulnerable Fran was sleeping in a chair not far from Kat and Tambi.
As for the continuous showing of Tambi's hands, I think it is a reminder to all of us that no matter what we may see to suggest that Tambi is growing closer to Kat and is not a threat to her or her loved ones anymore, Tambi is a stone cold badass like no other in the SIP universe. Even Kat was afraid of her and we know how tough and dangerous Kat is when provoked. Before this series is over, don't be too shocked if the bodybags are broken out in Tambi's wake. She did not gain her position as an enforcer/ sleeper in the Big 6 by being cute and fluffy. No one achieves that position without being a dealer of pain and death.
I believe those scars are to remind us what Tambi is capable of and perhaps to forshadow future nastiness on Tambi's part.
My 2 cents and nothing more. http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/smile.gif
------------------
something witty.
-
The scars are also a handy way of telling Bambi and Tambi apart http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/smile.gif Like when that woman is pumping iron in the apartment while staring at the three pictures? That's Bambi because she has no scars on her hands. (and has a thicker neck and calves too) Also, when Darcy had Francine prisoner, it was Bambi watching over her; she was holding the magazine and you could clearly see she had no scars. That's how Katchoo knew right off it was Bambi when she said hello to her.
The taping the hands is indeed to prevent dislocated or broken knuckles. In Tambi's case her skin is probably in really bad shape too (from all those injuries) and taping would help keep her skin from splitting.
-
5Cats, you rock!!!
I can't believe that after all the times I have reread the SIP collections, I never noticed that Bambi's hands are not scarred.
I still think Kat was relieved for the reasons I explained in my previous post. Kat would notice right off the bat that it was Tambi who was visiting her. Bambi is more buff than Tambi, wears a different necklace, and most likely carries herself differently.
OK, I'm just geussing on the last part, but Kat can see though people as soon as she meets them, and she spent quite a few years under Darcy's thumb - plenty of time for her to notice the differences between the twins.
I still can't believe I didn't notice Bambi not having hand scars. Grrrrr!
------------------
something witty.
-
I think you're right, Nonesuch. I believe that's what Terry confirmed when we had this discussion a while back. Kat was relieved that Tambi's hands weren't wrapped.
------------------
The ninja lesbian milk getter. aka dorkflakes.
Take the time to feel the wind.
I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
"I'm not crazy, I'm just reality challenged" -tyledras
Help Hostboard by using that search engine.
ChatterBox
Bran's Place
-
I have to admit that I was really upset by Tambi in this recent issue. Now, having missed issues 45 and 46 I may be slightly confused, but it still came as quite a shock to see her with a gun at David's head. I have admired and supported her since her initial appearance and now, dammit, I just feel so *sniff* betrayed! *sniff sniff* Just when I thought she was making progress too and could be a person who would kick your ass with a warm smile!
------------------
"If you don't break my ass, then I won't break your heart" Jim Dodge
[This message has been edited by Annalee (edited March 28, 2002).]