-
Which is better? I know that Macs are sopposed to be faster and better for editing but they suck for everything else. My firewire for my PC is always screwing around and I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get working consistantly. My PC only detects the driver about have the time. It's unreliable. What should I do?
------------------
I LOVE THE SMELL OF NAPALM IN THE MORNING
-
i think that you should go for a Mac - apple developed the fire wire connection platform and it is installed on all there computers (bar the basic iMac) so there is no chance of connection problems, you also get a reasonably good editing package with every computer iMovie or you can buy the powerfull Final Cut Pro 3, macs are faster at processing data allowing you to apply effects/transitions in real time so you dont need a video card.. what else... you said that they cant do all the things PC's can well they can using Virtual PC, which allows you to run Windoz on the mac... they are more logical in how you use them... they dont crash using Mac OS X... they look nice... just get a MAC... go to www.apple.com for more info
------------------
Dead girl's dont say no!
-
I honestly do not know that a mac is better than a pc or vise versa.
If you are having sporatic driver failure; or what seems to be anyway, be sure that you are following the instructions properly.
Sometimes if you turn on a this before you plug in a that; it can look like a software problem. Then go to the software companies by telephone first.
In my opinion if you just start downloading a bunch of crud you are asking for trouble.
Not that patches etc. can not repair a chronic problem and are not a necessary part of the computer industry.
However I have noticed a solve one problem but create three inadvertantly syndrome fliting about.
Especially with newer microsoft os's
Often times patches or fixes will just alter something, as such to make it better, however it is different, and you are sitting there chain smoking saying.........
This is a really vast subject. Do your homework. I just had to spend more money than I want to think about on new magazenes just to keep up.
------------------
-
I have connected the firewire properly and I have installed the driver numrous times and I have even taken it to several places to fix it but after all that, it still fails. I have a clone with all esencial hardware but I think it might be conflicting with my ATI capture card. I am not sure if it is my budget to buy a whole new computer just yet. But I now know what my next one is going to be. Until then, I have to somehow fix it.
------------------
I LOVE THE SMELL OF NAPALM IN THE MORNING
-
Purchase Windows XP, its solid as a rock. That should help but you'll need a memory boost, at least 256mb.
------------------
You wasted your budget on that?!?
-
what I will say is that my 2 and 1/2 year old Mac (350mghz G4) will capture and edit without a single problem.God knows how good the new ones are!!!
If your thinking of getting a Mac waite a bit normally end of January new products are lauched,the G5 will be coming out sometime next year(unlikely to be in January),and they are going to be very fast.
------------------
MACHEAD
Windows10P:
32 bit extension and graphical interface for a 16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system initially coded for a
4 bit microprocessor written by a
2 bit company that cannot stand 1 bit of competition.
-
Is your ATI AGP or PCI?
ATI AGP is a fickle thing.
Mine comes with a whole stack of drivers.
I pray a lot.
Call the companies.
This is going to sound strange; but sometimes it is a matter of having everything turned on then restarting your computer.
(as long as this is not in disagreement with any given factory specs for any given product)
Your computer may be considering everything plugged in to it as a constituant portion of itself.
monitors, T.V's, cameras, VCR's
(serious)
If you can not get a factory answer you may have to either play ALPHA BETA tester or find either a software or hardware work around.
It sort of becomes like building your own car no one is going to know it quite like you are.
My wiring system is only missing the tomato sause.
It could be any one of a dozen things.
Additionally because you do not get a satisfactory answer from one factory rep could mean that he doesn't know.
If I have to call the factory I usually do so early in the morning like 2 or 3 am their time.
I have had the whole boiler room full of HP reps going HMMM?
------------------
-
hey Ralph the guy asked what's better Mac or PC is this your way of saying buy a MAC!!
------------------
MACHEAD
Windows10P:
32 bit extension and graphical interface for a 16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system initially coded for a
4 bit microprocessor written by a
2 bit company that cannot stand 1 bit of competition.
-
NEVER!
seekaee how times have changed! a windoze user not being able to get a peice of softwear for their PC... what a shame... you are right FCP 3.0 is a beast, ive got 2.0 and i will be first up with my ?150 to get the upgrade
------------------
Dead girl's dont say no!
-
Well, IM not gonna say I like M$ either. I hated windows 9x from the first day I used it and when win 2000 came out I never looked back as most people did when they switched over. NT is a whole different story as it?s biggest disadvantage was that it was a real memory hog and there wasn?t a lot of support for it on the consumer market. However, those days are pretty much coming to an end.
Still, you can?t deny the fact your getting a much better deal hardware and price wise when it comes to a PC---no matter what OS your using! And for me this is the only gripe I have with Apple. Because the amount they're charging for a new G4 they should be using SCSI drives then EIDE or that matter ATA?s.
[This message has been edited by seekaee (edited December 10, 2001).]
-
I agree with the above statement... If you're going to do any editing on a PC, try and stay awy from the Win 9x family. I still have a Win 98se machine, and its prone to... abnormalities? So I finally broke down ("broke" being the operable word) and bought a new Win XP machine for the render farm.
seekaee - If you like Win 2k, you'll love XP. Like Win 2k, its built on the NT kernel, but it has all the multi-media support of the 9x family. Its sweet, and very Mac-ish in the interface.
------------------
www.sn-films.com
-
WIN XP is honestly MS?s best OS yet (thanks to the NT kernel) plus you can get a great PC for a very low price. My own setup is an Athlon XP 1900(which at this moment is pound-for pound- the fastest CPU you can get) with 1 gig of ram and an 80 gig Harddrive. The whole setup cost me an around $650(not including my 21?? monitor and win2000 which I already had).
However, if I had some extra money to burn I would love to have a MAC. they?re new OS 10.1 is wonderful and the new Final Cut Pro 3 beats the paints off Premiere 6.0.
Now if only Apple would develop FCP for windows.
------------------
-
i'm falling in love with Mac OS-X, even though I've never used it and I hate the aqua skin. I hate what Microsoft are doing with XP, I've heard there's a pop-up aksing you to register at MSN etc etc, yuk!
it's the thought of running Samba, MS-Office and Adobe Premiere on the same box ... not forgetting a yummy CLI
long term, Mac OS-X provides least lock-in and maximum official interopability with Microsoft products, until GNU/Linux/<insert favourite windowmanager> becomes 'socially acceptable'
now if only Mac hardware wasn't so damned expensive ...
------------------
N305UDB M173UBM
(B55VOR)
(WGO963W)
-
I have three computers, a pentium II(333mhz), a 486, and an apple mac lcII.
whats the best editing software(just for fixing mistakes) and cheap at the same time?
the 486 is the most reliable, is there freeware available for that?
just considering so i can upload shorts to sites.
------------------
-
Yeah I?ve messed around with XP and I like it a lot! I?ll probably wait another two months before I install it. XP pro is similar more to Win 2000 then the slim-down home version.
And yeah, Mac?s hardware is extremely expensive! And to be honest it wouldn?t bother me as a consumer that much if it weren?t THE SAME kind of hardware equipped in even the most moderate priced PC?s. I remember a few years ago going to a well known computer store in Los Angeles to look at video cards when I noticed that ATI?s 64-meg card for PC?s were going for $140 bucks while the Mac?s were going for $250! --And they were only 16 megs!
Hopefuly, the new G5's comming out next year will be loaded with better hardware like SCSI, DDR ram, ect.
[This message has been edited by seekaee (edited December 11, 2001).]
-
About that 486, I'm afraid it's pretty much a paper weight, even Win 95 will run EXTREMLY slow on it. I would try installing some version of Linux or Unix on it.Old computers like that can be made into a good litle proxy server/or firewall.
------------------
-
Along with mac coming out with the G5, I hear that a G4 "Apollo" processor is in the works and will come out early in 2002. This is yet another option if you choose the mac. I use a mac with FCP 2 and it works great. I have never had a problem with the firewirk either.
------------------
-
Cool!Hopefuly, with those new Apollo chips they will make a few new Mobo's to go alone with them. Hence, maybe it will lower the cost on all Mac's.
I allways thought it would be kind of funny if I ever built a Mac clone,I would use one of those fake G3'ish, blue/white tower cases that were made for people who wanted their PC's to look like a mac.
Guess i'm a little weird..lol!
[This message has been edited by seekaee (edited December 12, 2001).]
-
MAC's are good at what they can do. The problem is the selection of software along with the amount of processors you can insert into them. The G5 coming out soon will be a fast box, but you still can't beat Intel or AMD for processing power if you adding an extra CPU. Using After Effects to render movies with a dual 1.5Ghz is easy. Not only that, it also costs less than buying a proposed couple of grand worth of G5.
The software out there for PC's is huge and you can always get good support for setting your computer up.
Go PC I say if your going to be editing.
Need some "Hot" software, email me.
------------------
-
The only reason Macs are still around is the marketing department. They look good, they have a one button mouse, and they're nice and simple. But the difference is like an automatic and a standard transmission in a car, the automatic is great for girls talking on their cell phones and putting on makeup, who need an easier machine to control, but you'll never get the level of control you get without a stick. Same with Macs and PCs, baby. You just can't do with a Mac what you can with a PC, unless, like someone laughably suggested, you get a program that lets your shiney see through Mac pretend it's a real computer.
------------------
-
OK Guys
I've read you your coments
Mac's are more expensive than PC because they're more reliable and have innovations on them that wll hit the PC platform in 2 to 3 years.
XP users are amazed by wireless connectivity and PC iMovie we've had that for 3 years.That's a long time boys!!!
In 3 years time they'll be talking about 5gig iPod MP3 players that act as an external hard drive's that you can boot from.and packages like iDVD.
What us Mac user will be talking about in 3 years who knows but it'll be good.
Apple innovate while Microsoft imitate.
------------------
MACHEAD
Windows10P:
32 bit extension and graphical interface for a 16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system initially coded for a
4 bit microprocessor written by a
2 bit company that cannot stand 1 bit of competition.
-
machead well put!
i'm sorry but your comment davis about macs not being able to have dual processors well the macs on releace have dual processor 800Mhz G4 processors with velocity engine (which is dedicated to graphics desplay of floating point calc.) theses things equate to 1.6 Ghz on paper god knows how fast they go in real life! in addition your comment about pc's being more controlable, well in my experience that just leads to more problems, however, it is still there if you want it in mac os X, where you can access the UNIX command line interface if you want a bit more controll, so there!
and your comment thepreacher about the amount of softwear for pc's - it quality not quantity!
mac are genuniely better at running the programmes because they were made by apple for apple computers...
i only use my PC for heating my room, when macs are so efficient that they dont even need a fan (BASIC GCSE PHYSICS - inefficiency = heat )
------------------
Dead girl's dont say no!
-
Oh Davis
Mac's are still around cause of pre-press.Basically they handle Font's alot better than PC's,Have excellent colour management tools.Basically ALL magazines you buy books point of sale material etc. are designed on Mac's.Also 99% of photographer's are on Mac's.and also the medical research use Mac's
Adobe software is designed for the Mac(G4) and its Velocity Engine,that's why when people compare 1.5gightz PC to a Powermac G4 733 the Mac runs alot faster.
Seeming as everyone here wants to or are using Adode premiere or FCP,maybe the best advice to someone is 'buy a Mac'
OK
------------------
MACHEAD
http://www.macosrumors.com/
-
Quality not quantity ah !
Tell me a MAC based software that out-does Discreet Logic for Editing and Special Effects and Out-does Alias Wavefront for Animation and I'll kiss your ass..
------------------
The more I know, the more I know I don't know.
-
steven_craig, tell me once where I said anything about dual processors. Anything. At all. I'll wait.
machead, the thought of Mac's getting the innovations 3 years before PCs is LAUGHABLE. I'm getting a hearty chuckle trying to think of anything but Firewire that Mac's had first. Granted, Firewire's a hell of a tool, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. But that doesn't mean Apple's computers are better, it means they invented a cool interface that works on both platforms.
As far as saying, "Well, the control is there in OSX," well, skip de diddle, but if I'm reading you right X means 10 and it took 10 versions of an OS over how many years before they'd let you control your computer as much as I could with my old Tandy? Gracious.
Software being made by Apple for Apple? Um, we're all using Adobe products, made by Adobe. And I'm pretty sure the Microsoft suites that I see on every Mac display is being made for PCs. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure MS is making PC OSs, so they're going to make their office software for PCs too.
You can't take one set of programs, Adobe, and say that since their made for Macs first, then ported, Apple is the better computer. I'm running After Effects, Premiere 5 and Photoshop 6 off this PC, and I'm getting just as good of results as you are.
------------------
-
maybe I'm stupid but why does a Mac processor run alot faster than a PC then?
You see I was told Adobe software is optimised for the Mac Velocity engine,I'm obviously wrong!!!So Mac's are just faster therefore better!!!
As for you producing similar results to me I don't think so, I checked out your web site http://www.pmind.com
------------------
MACHEAD
http://www.macosrumors.com/
-
I forgot about the one-button thing on a mac, that would drive me mad not having right-click context sensitive menus
my perfect OS is Linux, but it's still an OS in need of a decent NLE on par with Premiere etc..
With Linux you get to choose your window manager, so interface arguments become moot -- you just choose the one closest to the way you work.
Linux is the ultimate stick-shift IMHO
------------------
-
if you want another button on your mouse HOLD DOWN YOUR APPLE KEY AND CLICK.
Cheat keys are ergonomically placed on your keyboard so repetitive strain injuries from using these keys are unlikely.(unlike Windoze)
Mac users have there hands hovering over these keys Say if I want to use the crop tool in Photoshopo I press 'C' or if I want to open level's I press 'apple + L'
this speeds up your work flow.I can work about 3 times faster on a Mac than a PC
I wouldn't describe you guys as ignorant you just know nothing about Mac's!!!!!!!!!
------------------
MACHEAD
http://www.macosrumors.com/
-
MACHEAD, this will be the last time I put my 2 bob in. I need to put you in your place.
This is coming from a guy who was been a computer techo for yonks and some one who has experience in most platforms, ( Linux, PC, UNIX, MAC and IRIX )
Linux is definelty the most under-rated platform there is today. It will out-do all PC, MAC and most UNIX OS's today. I personally tested the bastard out one day, to check how tuff it was. Running Redhat I deleted the entire /etc directory and the son of a bitch was still running with out a hitch for the next who knows when. It was'nt until I re-booted the box that it fell over. MAC's are a good graphic artist box, but that's about it. Run Photoshop, Illistrator and Quark Express etc. and they'll go good, but when it comes to anything else I would'nt. The Motorolla CPU was designed for graphics in mind but will not run reports and could stand processing databases in form. The PC on the other hand is sort of in the middle of both MAC's and UNIX systems. The can run graphics, not as good, but almost as good as MAC's and they can process databases almost as good as UNIX systems. Although Intel's new 64bit 800Mhz cpu coming out soon will change all that and more. The bastard is faster the SUN's 800mhz cpu and will run Oracle like a dream. SGI have already started using them and they will out-do any 1 to 1 computer on the market. Yes, even the G5. That's a tested fact.
Now for the conclusion to this arguement. Since we're in a movie forum, lets talk about movie making computer's. The power of a spec'ed SGI with Discreet Logic software i.e. MAYA or Flame or Flint or even Softimage software is an unbeatable match. SGI have done something that Intel will never do. That goes for MAC's too. SGI have created their Mainboards to push a minimum of 2Ghz pipeline of Buss speed from the CPU through the PCI system. Thats why you'll notice that their CPU's hardly push passed 400Mhz. It's cause they don't need to be much faster because of the Buss speed.
------------------
The more I know, the more I know I don't know.
-
Because you're PC is slightly faster than mine doesn't mean QUOTE"I'm getting just as good of results as you are."
I always judge my results subjectively.
the computer is a tool,although I'm beginning to think that you are also a tool.
I checked out the URL for your other site,I have no opinion I wish to share with you about this site,
I would suggest looking back at my posts on this topic and read what I've said more carefully,
------------------
MACHEAD
http://www.macosrumors.com/
-
So are you saying that since the computer is a tool, your results are better films then mine because you're a better filmmaker? That may very well be, and I'll be the very first to agree, but I don't see where you could make that distinction having not seeing my work, and it's a moot point besides, because the arguement at hand and topic of discussion is "is a Mac or a PC better?" So if my computer is better then yours, I think that solves the arguement nicely. For you to say, "Just because your computer is better doesn't mean your results are better," doesn't make sense in the context of this discussion. I don't mean result as in 'the finished film,' I mean, results in the sense of the computer's operation. The man asked what computer to buy. I'm recommending a PC, because my aging Dell is still faster then the Mac display models at my local software stores, and with my almost two year old stock equipment I'm rendering transitions and effects in Premiere fast and efficiently and watch my results with no lag.
I will say, though, that the one thing you've said that I see holds any merit is, "I wouldn't describe you guys as ignorant you just know nothing about Mac's!!!!!!!!!" I'd agree to that 100%. I'm not a Mac user so I stopped browsing Mac magazines and websites. Macs may be the funnest thing in the world to run, for all I know, and I'd say you've got me at a touche'. But I dare assume you don't know much about PCs, and so I'd be willing to end this arguement which has turned personal at a stalemate, if you'd agree to that.
------------------
-
well done for noticing that this topic of debate has digressed,I wonder why that is????
Some people have made some interesting contibutions to this debate
but there again some people have made stupid obversations likeQUOTE'they have a one button mouse' and 'The only reason Macs are still around is the marketing department' and sexist offensive comments like 'the automatic is great for girls talking on their cell phones and putting on makeup'
and 'They look good' and inaccurate statements like 'the thought of Mac's getting the innovations 3 years before PCs is LAUGHABLE'
and when in this post did you recomend the DELL PC?not until now.
I will refer to you as the BULLSHINE BOY from now on
------------------
MACHEAD
http://www.macosrumors.com/
-
Man, you really try to use some MOOT points to win an arguement. Sorry I mentioned the brand name Dell one time. I'll make sure never to do that, let me correct myself: "My aging PC." However, I do recommend those looking at a PC to consider Dell, they have a solid product and friendly tech support.
The arguement has gone from PCs vs. Mac to you suggesting your films are better then mine and trying to make fun of my website. That's gravy man, but I hope you don't think you're convincing people to buy a Mac with that ranting, which is what I thought this was about. You said Macs get everything 3 years earlier then PCs, I said that's laughable, and instead of you telling me about any of these phantom technological breakthroughs that only you know about, you just say my statement was inaccurate. Well prove it, man. What, is this like the first arguement you've ever been in?
I don't see how you can call the quote "they have a one button mouse" a stupid observation. They DO have a one button mouse, right? So what makes that observation stupid? Frankly, I think the one button mouse is stupid, and the guy asked if he should get a PC or a Mac and I think that's a valid reason not to get a Mac.
I think that Macs have taken a second seat to PCs over the last ten years and the very best Macs may compete with PCs, but who can afford the very best Macs? He can get a great PC that he can edit video on for 400-800 bucks.
I think that they're pretty and see-through and that's the only reason Macs have kept afloat, hence my marketing department statement. I think their marketing and design guys have come up with some brilliant innovation, as Macs were the first computers to look cool, to be see through, to be neat looking, to have commercials with pop music and floating Mac monitors... brilliant stuff.
See, all my statements can be backed up. I can explain myself, and why I said each thing. But you have yet to tell anyone anything about the Mac, except "It gets new technology three years before PCs!" Um, could you name some? "The Velocity engine is so much better then PCs!" Well, I'm assuming you think it's better then a Pentium or Celeron processor, but you've also yet to say why.
You keep trying to attack me personally saying my statements are dumb or my website is dumb, but you won't attack the product I'm standing by, the PC. And it seems to me it's because it's easier to take potshots at me in an attempt to make everyone think I'm stupid then it is to actually do some research and have a decent reason to pick a Mac over a PC.
And if you want girls talking on their cell phones and putting on their make up to also drive a stick, that's fine and good, man, but I'm personally glad they invented the automatic transmission for people who do seventeen other things besides drive, guy or girl. Trying to make me out as a sexist was weak, by the way. Would you have been happier if I had said it's "great for guys talking on their cell phones and playing with their PDAs"?
Nice and mature that when I say, "hey lets end this in a truce, because I'm not going to convince you to get a PC any more then I'll be convinced to get a Mac," and your response was "I will refer to you as the BULLSHINE BOY from now on." Niiiiice.
------------------
-
machead, maybe I'M the dense prick around here, (but I doubt it) but one questions how you could see the speed of my Premiere renders by viewing my website, which, at the mo, is nothing more then a personal journal. Maybe you'll explain that to me.
Perhaps you were making a vain attempt at insulting my web work. I'd all but hope you'd at least view something I'd made with effort, instead of my diary. http://www.pmind.com/mag/
But maybe you had a hard time understanding what I said, so I'll try to break it down a little easier for you, my 933mHz PIII with 256 megs of non ECC RDRAM and 64 meg nVidia GeForce II graphics card will render effects in Photoshop and transitions in Premiere and whatever else in After Effects just as fast as your Mac, and it doesn't matter that I'm running ported software. Just because software was made for one system first, doesn't mean you can say "Ha ha, your computer sucks," just because it had to be ported. You don't here my saying your Mac sucks solely because many Mac users run the Microsoft Office suite, do you? Criminy.
------------------
-
get a mac and put on yellowdog linux, that way you can have a two or three or any-number of button mouse :-)
seriously though, both platforms have their merits and you can't deny that mac users do "think different", LOL
the platform wars go back to spectrum vs commodore, and no doubt intellivision vs atari 2600 etc..
i definitely used to dislike macs until OS-X came about, but I've only read about it, much like I've only read about WinXP (although I do have it in a sandbox vm now)
back in 1987 when i was at college, macs definitely trounced all over the poor 286/386 PC's running Win3.x, but today it's not so clear cut.
one day the OS you run will be be a point as moot as the firmware in your VCR ... it will be the *windowmanagers* that people argue over ...
;-)
------------------
-
I will say I was at Circuit City the other day and I was walking past the Macs, remembering this (and countless other) Mac vs. PC arguements I decided to give OS-X a go. I will say it was the best Mac OS I've interacted with so far, and feels a lot like XP, which I'm running, but I still don't like the way everything shares that thing at the top and just some other stuff, operations are different, yadda yadda yadda... I've heard a lot of great things about the new OS but like I said earlier, it took 10 versions before I heard anyone say, "Wow, the new Mac OS is so cool!"
That is an interesting thought, tho, that one day you won't even care what OS you have. I can definately see that coming, when computers become so advanced only the really nerdy types will still keep up with what's under the hood, and most people will buy a computer just like they buy a TV or toaster. Wierd thought. ::shiver::
------------------
-
OK I'll give you some examples of Mac being market leader in innovations.Airport(this is wireless comunication between your Mac Another Mac and now PC running XP(10P) and your modem,this was introduced 3 years ago when was this introduced on the PC?
I believe about 3 weeks ago but I could be wrong!!!!!
As you said firewire but we'll be having Gigwire soon!!!!
iTunes this is seriously cool and incredibly easy to burn audio CD's(in the background too)
iMovie you now have a basic video editng software for the PC
iPod but Apple are going to make a Windows version.
Cube although a flop ,you can't critise a company for trying an innovation.
Widescreen moniters on laptops which are made from Titanium to keep the weight and size down.
we havn't had 10 versions of our software we now have 2 though you see the Mac OS evolves (its organic).
------------------
MACHEAD
http://www.macosrumors.com/
-
I'm sorry you misuderstood my statement QUOTE 'As for you producing similar results to me I don't think so, I checked out your web site'
this is in respect to your photoshop skills only, when I surfed your site I could not find any films got bored and left,but did see some images which I based my opinion on,maybe if your site was designed differently I would have been able to find these films.
I am sorry for any confusion caused by this.
Also using MOOT points I'm not familiar with this term could you define MOOT for me.
Perhaps give me an example or maybe this is an example 'they have a one button mouse' what practical relevence has this statement to this debate when as stated by me if you 'CONTROL CLICK' you have the equivelent to the PC right click.I'm sure though this would cause inconvienenses to those who wish to have their left hand free for more pleasurable activities!!!!!!(I'm not suggesting PC user's are wankers) So we can deduce that wanking is easier on the PC than the Mac,great I'm of to buy a biege box,can't waite to phone those highly recomended help lines,and I'm really looking forward to some viruses as I feel I'm missing out as none of them work on my Mac(am I doing something wrong? why won't they work every great platform has viruses that bring the world to a stand still).
Maybe Apple should have the slogan 'WANK DIFFERENT'
or maybe Microsoft should have the slogan 'WANK BETTER'
So do tell us, what do you do with your left hand????
------------------
MACHEAD
http://www.macosrumors.com/
-
i don't have a left hand
------------------
-
fortunately that was a lie
i find generally that i either use the keyboard OR the mouse, rarely do I use both at the same time. actually I use a trackerball but that is a moot point ;-)
i think i use my left hand for scratching my chin and trying to look clever
like I say, this argument appears to be about desktop windowmanagers rather than technology, because usually apple take existing technology developed by the IEEE consortium and rename it:
firewire: IEEE1394
airport: IEEE 802.11b
these techs have been around for yonks, but PC users are generally paupers who drive the market so can't afford to be early adopters
the widescreens on iBooks and stuff do look cool though, but that's just look of course
no doubt apple have their own versions of optical mice, usb 1GB flash memory, dvd-ram, dvd-rw, dvd+rw, mpeg3, mpeg4, mpeg7, gigabit ethernet, 32 way SMP, clustering, load balancing, DDR, opengl, GPU, 64-bit CPU bus, PGA ...
fact is the PC market is COMMODITY driven, apple's market is driven by those who need ease of use and the familiarity of a brand with its associated reputation
and everyone knows the Xerox legend ...
don't get so wound up, the wind-up techology is being developed for the PC market
oh, and macs had the DIMM spec before it was widely available in PC's -- but not before some non-apple employee actually invented it
what's the big deal???
------------------