-
lets play a food related quiz....should be fun with everyone around the world joining in. Winner gets to start the next "guess the dish".
I post a fact about the mystery food dish...you post your guess add on's
easy one
I'm a desert made from shoe pastry, I have fresh cream as my filling and a chocolate coating...what am I ????
-
I had to go buy some milk at the store today.
This has absolutley nothing to do with your quiz, but it is food related...am I right?...do I win?...what do I win?...can I have my prize now?
[img]graemlins/coffee.gif[/img]
-
Hmmmm, an eclair? Boston creme cake? I'm not sure what shoe pastry is, but those are my guesses.
-
It was a chocolate eclair [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
Oooo, I got one right.
Ok, so here's mine:
I require a pie crust, certain nuts, and some corn syrup to become perfect for the holidays.
-
-
Hey, folks, been a while. Thought I'd dive in this one 'cause it's kind of a speciality, so...
Pardon my detail-oriented personality (a nice way of saying pickiness) but pronounced 'shoe', spelt 'choux'. What do you want, it's French. It was on a final last semester. Bran, it's a cool dough you make by cooking the flour mixture, cooling it a bit, then adding eggs. It's usually piped into shape, then baked and used for popovers, eclairs and stuff like that.
-
You've just made me more hungry now, Tery. [img]wink.gif[/img] Eclairs are goooooood.
Yep, stingger, you got that right. I love pecan pie (especially my mom's recipe). So, give another clue. Or maybe Tery should?
-
Not bad for me [img]smile.gif[/img] .....I think Tery should do one.
Are cooking related programs big there?
there are about 4 -5 chefs here with programs on from time to time.
-
Not only do we have food shows, we have a food NETWORK. Check out www.foodtv.com sometime.
My turn, hmmm? Poop, it's computer day so my food texts are at home. Lessee... OK, got one. It's more of an ingredient than a food, but here 'tis: equal parts by weight fat and flour cooked to a desired color.
If that doesn't count, how about flour, sugar and butter. Substitute rice flour for a quarter of the wheat flour if you want to SHORTen the crumb. That would be a hint, son.
-
-
Huzzah, the stingger!
The first was a roux, used to thicken sauces and the like.
Your turn, m'man.
-
*pounds head on desk*
Can't believe I missed roux. My mother always made one for gumbo.
-
Go easy on your head, miz Bran. It's more of a cook thing.
-
I am a mainly suet based dish, my insides contain a specific mixture of 2 meat parts. I am best cooked steamed for a few hours.
-
*rubs head*
Yeah, that's enough of that. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
I'm not the greatest cook or anything, but my mom is. And being from New Orleans, I'm used to cajun food, so I know what a roux is and how it's made. So, I was surprised I missed it. *shrug*
So, hmmm, stingger's sounds familar, but I can't quite think of it.
-
(has a feelling she will be tempted to use Bran's 'roux response' when she hears the answer)
Are we talking sausages here? Or perhaps a mince pie?
-
Come to think of it, I think Mom made most roux's using water and flour. Yeah, that's why I missed it...
-
No rubbed head [img]wink.gif[/img] or sausage or mince...
Think English chip shop
-
Ummm, maybe a pastie? What can I say, I've never been out of the lower 48 (plus Tijuana and a few spots in that big cold place up North.
Oh, and Bran? What your mom made is officially known as a 'slurry' or a 'white wash', starch and liquid combined and used to thicken sauces and soups. A roux is fat and flour and must be cooked before use (and after, but they all need afters). (Man, how obsessive can I get?)
Ow, I dinged myself twice yesterday in Garde Manger class, and one's on the finger tip. Makes typing... interesting.
-
Now you're getting obsessive, Tery. [img]wink.gif[/img] Interesting how you can know something as one thing your whole life and finally someone with the real know how tells you the truth.
Hope that finger feels better soon.
Oh, and I'm out of ideas for stingger's.
-
ok....Shifty would know [img]wink.gif[/img]
I'll give you the blanks
Steak & Kidney P-----G
-
My puddings don't include meat parts. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
What can I say, it's not a 'Merican thing. Although I have been interested in trying S&K (we call it 'pie' here). What's it like?
<font color="#990000" size="1">[ February 18, 2003 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Terygon ]</font>
-
Its very nice....I would suggest you find a recipe for it. Here you can buy individual ones
and obviously get them from the chip shop [img]smile.gif[/img]
I was trying to think of recipes from my local
area (which are semi-famous) here is one.
It is a lamb meat stew with sliced potatoes covering the top of it, what is it?
A big clue is the word Lancashire is in the title.
-
Hmmm, Lancashire Pie? (I have no idea...)
-
Sounds like a modified shepard's pie to me so... Lancashire shepard's stew?
( [img]tongue.gif[/img] I really think these local recipes are cheating. Are you on the local Tourist's Board or something?)
-
yes we use real shepards [img]wink.gif[/img] I'm just testing you as chef [img]smile.gif[/img]
it was Lancashire hotpot
-
Hey, I'm a student chef. Besides, if I asked you where you'd find a tri-tip, could you tell me?
-
Tri-tip? On top of my...wait, we're discussing food. Nevermind. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
Tri-tip.....I would enter it in search engine [img]wink.gif[/img]
trainee chef today....tomorrows super star chef
and when English guy comes to restraunt for Lancashire hot pot..you will remember it [img]smile.gif[/img]
always good to get knowledge...for example
I have learnt blood-sauasge is Black Pudding here.
-
Totally true on the knowlege thing, stingger. I've always believed that a little knowlege is a dangerous thing so, being a bit timid, I've been acquiring as much as I can all my life.
Regarding the tri-tip, it's a cut of beef. Foodie Nerd Alert! If you get bored about overly detailed explainations, skip the rest of this paragraph. When partsing out a cow, one first cuts down the spine to get two sides of beef. then one cuts between the 12th and 13th ribs to get the fore- and hindquarters. The hindquarter is then separated at the pelvis, with the tail-end being the primal round. The flank (another primal) is in front (or technically the bottom, since the cow is a four legged critter) of the rest, what would be the 'abs' on a human, and the primal loin is the back part between the waist and hips. The loin is broken down to the sirloin and short loin subprimals (gwaa, I don't remember where the cut is [img]redface.gif[/img] ) the sirloin being the end near the round and the short loin being the end nearest the forequarter. The sirloin is broken down to the top and bottom sirloins (locations self-explanitory and just follow the muscle groups) and the bottom round is made up of the ball-tip and tri-tip fabricated cuts. The tri-tip is the part nearest the round.
Think I'll pass Meat Analysis? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
"Tri-tip" is a local name for the cut, used because the muscle group forms a slightly obtuse triangle. It's also known as the 'culotte' (Pardon my spelling, please) in French and probably a half a dozen other things. It's a fairly tough cut, so cook it low and slow, preferably after a good long marinade.
Lesson over for today. (And naughty, naughty Branflakes...)
-
Well, if I ate beef, I'd now know a hell lot about what I was eating. [img]wink.gif[/img]
So, anyone got the next food dish we must guess?
-
I think it's actually Bran's turn, but I'm going to intercept.
I'm an old, tough chicken, male or female, stewed in red wine with vegetables for hours. (My name is French, by the way.)
-
Enough about yourself whats the dish [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Is it (spelt wrong) cock o van ???
-
Pfffbbblt to stingger. (How can they not have a 'raspberry-giving'graemlin)
Since I can't convince myself that spelling counts here, stingger wins. Coq au vin it is.
-
I am a specific main meat dish my outer caseing is pastry ??
-
Gotta be a Beef Wellington, AKA Boef en Croute.
Although I suppose it could be a pastie, or other sort of meat pie, or (if I stretch the definition of 'main dish') it could be pate en croute, or... I'd better stop here.
-
Yep [img]biggrin.gif[/img] I too thought about the pastery related
snack it could be after posting eg pasty,sausage roll,meat pie etc.
But I remembered I did say main dish...so WTG
English and french reference too [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
Hmmm, my turn, eh?
OK, I'm a composed salad made of greens, olives, haricot vert (little green beans), tuna, and (traditionally) a lemon dressing.
I was trying to think of something in honor of our missing-from-this-thread-for-a-couple-of-weeks ninja lesbian but bran is more of an ingredient than a dish. In other words, where'd you go, Branflakes?
<font color="#990000" size="1">[ March 20, 2003 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Terygon ]</font>
-
I check in to this thread, I just get dumbfounded by the dishes. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Can't figure out what that salad is, except that it's French?