-
i was asking all my friends thier top 5 films today, and i couldnt think of what my top 5 would be, i think i was trying to think of stuff that made me go wow... like american beauty blew me away, but thinking about it, its not the sorta movie i could watch again and again...
so heres my top 5
commando- the cheesiest movie ever and so amazingly entertaining for it. The one liners are the best you will hear and it has arnies highest death count, what more could you want?
predator- so i grew up with schwarzenegger movies, and this one from start to end is just good solid thriller action stuff. Not pretty or ground breaking in any way but it gets the job done and it has the most kick *** music ever [img]tongue.gif[/img] i need to see the damm american version of this, cos here in england the distributers are lazy and we get stuck with the same cut as the germans and theirs is cut to sh1t, the uncut version would actually pass here in the uk, its just the **** bandit germans.
the usual suspects- ok finaly a movie that actually has some critical aclaim, the movie is just top notch solid entertainment all the way through and then the twist at the end just has you leaving with a big grin on your face. PLus the lineup scene is funny as fvck.
Porky's- quite possibly the funniest movie ever made, ok so the whole porkys bar story the film is based around is utter b0ll0cks but the gross out comedy is just soooo funny the first time you see it. So it doesnt have the sweetness of american pie or something about mary (the most over rated comedy ive seen) but its way funnier!
empire strikes back- on one hand this film is way is better than the first, but then again the first has alot more fun to be had than this darker film... ive picked this one as my fave of the two for 3 reasons... the kick *** battle of hoth, the completely unexpected twist at the end, but my personal fave bit, Yoda [img]biggrin.gif[/img] he is so cute and funny when we first meet him, fighting over the food with R2-D2.
While im waffling on like this i watched independence day the other week, quite possibly the worst film ive ever seen, well ok not the worst but certainly the one i hate the most, and im watching the big "exciting" end where all the fighter planes go to fight the alien ships, and i felt nothing! i dunno what lucas did but i have tingles down my spine whenever i watch the death star trench run! fvcking ****** independence day [img]eek.gif[/img]
anyways, im sure you have had enough of my random waffle, i hand it over to you...
what are your fave 5 films?
-
1: The Godfather. What else?
2: Heat. One of the most underappreciated films of all time. Oscar worthy performances by both Al Pacino and Rober Deniro.
3: Pulp Fiction. You either loved it or you hated it. Creative, non-linear editing.
4: Hard Boiled. Back when John Woo made good movies.
5: The Matrix. Fun, creative, kick @$$.
-
1. Rushmore- Best movie of all time.
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Chasing Amy
4. Suicide Kings
5. American Pie- I can't help it, it's great.
Has anyone seen 'About Schmidt'? I have to say that's the only decent movie I've seen in theaters in maybe a year or so. In my opinion it was, for the most part, a great film.
I also saw '*** ' recently. If 'Independence Day' was the sh*ttiest movie ever, then this was like 'Independence Day' times 3,000. I don't believe I've ever seen anything worse except maybe that other Vin Diesel/Rob Cohen sh*tbomb 'The Fast and the Furious'.
-
I think this question has been asked a million different ways on this board at one time or another, but seeing as how there is a reasonably new reflux of people who seem to post consistantly, here are my top 5, in no particular order.
Pulp Fiction- Genius from beginning to end, very creative editing as mentioned before, great acting, and done on a modest budget for the times.
Psycho- Hitchcock's greatest. Still suspenseful as **** , and has the personal feel, probably the best use of classic shot reverse shot in a suspense movie thusfar
Back to the Future- I just watched this again yesterday. The character's hand movements alone make this a great movie, and it is consistently entertaining, and watchable for the whole family.
The Matrix- one of the most original movies in a stretch of a few years where there wasn't much going on. Very energetic and a throwback to the old Hong Kong Kung Fu genre.
Evil Dead II- The best cult movie of all time, and still pushing the limits of photography.
I still haven't made it to the end of Citizen Kane, the Godfather, 2001, and the Seven Samauri. The later of which I was amazed by. I stopped Citizen because I knew the ending, the Godfather because I was making a movie, and the Seven Samauri because I was bombarded by drunkeness... Maybe these classic films would have made it onto the list if I would have continued watching them. Anyone else having trouble finding time to pin down the classics?
-
i dont like matrix very much, ok so its got great effects and uses alot of wire work and what not, but in entertainment terms i didnt find it all that interesting.
-
the matrix definetely in my top 5, its got a fantastic concept man... "what if you can do whatever you want to do in your dreams?" yeah something like that. Great action and stuff like that.
Saving Private Ryan, the best war movie I've seen. The action scenes shot in an entirely different way: the camera's running along with the soldiers! You really got INTO the action now, instead of watching everyone on the screen get killed. God, one of the coolest theatre moments I had was the DDAY scene in SVP.
I keep forgetting the name... the movie where Ewan Mcgregor kidnaps Cameron Diaz, one of the most entertaining movies I've seen, although not the funniest. Forrest Gump also very entertaining.
Pulp Fiction, Memento
-
Hey there.
Impossible question.... I would struggle to give a top 20 and even then it would be different ten minutes later.
At this exact moment I would say Bound, Jaws, Tremors, The Devils Backbone, Fargo and A Simple Plan are pretty high up. But that's probably just becauxze Ive watched them in the last few days.
Despin out.
-
Hey there.
"While im waffling on like this i watched independence day the other week, quite possibly the worst film ive ever seen"
I like That movie. A LOT.
And all this about Pulp Fictions great "editing" It's all down to the script. It's not like he made a linear movie then in the editing room thought it would be cool to mess with the timeline.
Its how the script was written.
Oh yeah.... Dawn Of The Dead is my FAVE movie.
Despin out.
-
Heres a go at my top five. It varies all the time though, even though the number one spot remains the same.
Ones that dont make the list, but are still favourites:
- Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 2
- Jurassic Park
- Terminator II
- Jaws
- Ghostbusters 1 & 2
- Groundhog Day
(5) Rocky 1 & 2
I don't think I've ever seen Sly act so well and seem so natural.
(4) Changing Places
The film with Dan Akroyd & Eddit Murphy, very good, genuine comedy.
(3) Predator
I don't know why I like it so much, but I do. And I can watch it over and over again.
(2) Die Hard
Good action, great storyline, Bruce Willis acting very well. Alan Rickman is genius. McTiernan made something that still to this day many films try to be and aspire too.
(1) Tremors
A classic comic-horror movie of its time, a brilliant film with lovely backdrops, storyline, acting and cast. Very good characterisation, interesting filming techniques and above all, interesting monsters! Love it to bits, and always will as it was made before CGi took over. Mmmmmm, puppetry.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
m0ds
-
Mods, it is Trading Places, not Changing. Not that it matters much. And Emjem, the movie you are thinking of is A Life Less Ordinary.
-
sh1t man! [img]redface.gif[/img] i completely forgott Leon! i wanna change my top 5 now [img]tongue.gif[/img] I love that film.
And independence day is far too american for its own good, the whole movie is basicly, "we are american god damm it! we cant let aliens invade earth. God bless america!"
The president of the USA fighting aliens in a jet on the 4th of july, give me a fvcking break! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
-
How many of you have seen "Heat"? If you've seen this movie it ought to be on your list! Powerful performances by Al Pacino, and Robert Deniro. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this movie contained Al Pacinos best performance ever. The writing and directing by M. Mann could not ave been better, and the photography by Dante Spinote as pure magic. If you havent seen this movie, rent it. No, buy it.
-
Christ! I had my top 5 all figured out then I read other peoples lists and remembered loads of other films that I could include. Here goes...
1) The Matrix - This has to my favourite. Okay so the acting isn't the best, but the concept and effects make this a masterpiece. Roll on Reloaded.
2) Duel - Such a simple idea, a truck harrassing & chasing a car through the desert. I thought this film was genuinley scary.
3) The Shawshank Redemption - This such an underrated film. A great cast and a fantastic story.
4) The Wicker Man - It's a British movie! It's also really eerie too. Plus Christopher Lee makes such a cool bad guy.
5) Hard Boiled - I love the over the top action sequences. One of the best action movies.
-
Ahh, couldn't quite remember the name of the film. Cheers. I meant Eddie too, not Eddit.
Edit Murphy lol.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
m0ds
-
whats wrong with independance day?
oh, and mines changing all the time [img]smile.gif[/img] i think at the moment it is:
pulp fiction
the matrix
oceans eleven
thats all i can think of at the moment cos i'v just watched them over the last few days [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
Only 5...? At this point in time I would have to go for:
Leon -- Luc Besson at his best.
2001: Space Odyssey -- Science fiction at its most profound... and most confusing.
Heat -- A Michael Mann film. nuff said!
LA COnfidential -- superbly cast as well as brilliantly written. This is the way all plots should be.
Goodfellas -- dunno why.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 09, 2003 01:02 PM: Message edited by: ac_01 ]</font>
-
How many times have we seen this thread? Ah well I got time to burn before the train leaves...
Memento-you can't make a better 5M film.
American Beauty- I CAN watch it again and again.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade- What can you say? So good!
Amelie- Killed my cynicism stone dead baby.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon- It's so beautiful. And a feminist action movie?! Wowsa.
Honourable mentions- Matrix, two towers, breathless (the original goddard version), the birds, Empire strikes back, shawshank...
Also comedy wise I'm the only person in the world who hates gross-out. I like quirky like Royal Tennenbaums or insane like Monthy Python and the Holy Grail.
-
5 - Aliens (special edition), probably should have stopped making the rest after this one.
4 - Abyss, I like the story and there's a good amount of character development.
3 - Hana-Bi, If you don't know of Takeshi Kitano, see this.
2 - Labrynth, ok Im not really a David Bowie fan, but this film entertained me so much when I was a kid.
1 - Kikujiro, Again a Takeshi Kitano film, and probably one of the best he has done. Nothing extravagent about this, It's simply filmed with plenty of chances to get to know and identify with all of the characters, it's great.
-
Hey there.
"Memento-you can't make a better 5M film."
Well.... actualy you can and it has, quite a few times.
Despin out.
-
-
All choices subject to change. I am one of those people who are eternally indecisive. After a few minutes of deliberation I picked these five...for now....
[img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
Pulp Fiction - A fan of Tarantino's style and of non-linear films making this a definate fave.
Dogma - The whole theological discussion intruiges me.
Fight Club - Rage against the machine...Pitt reminds me of my Social Studies teacher.
The English Patient - Nice cinematography and the flowing shot over the desert coupled with the score really create great atmosphere.
Four Rooms - Like the 4 different directors idea...kinda similar to the proposed eXposure project.
I like the decription of Independance Day as "way too American for it's own good." Another movie which falls into this category: Pearl Harbour. "I think World War II just started"...yeah a couple years ago with the occupaton of Poland. [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]
Someone said the Two Towers got honorable mention. For the most part I agree, but they butchered Faromir's character. Tolkien had him representing all that was good in humanity. Instead he winds up more of a jacka$$ than Boromir was. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
My friend forced me to watch "Dawn of the Dead" can anyone tell me the point of this film? [img]confused.gif[/img]
-
IMO the first half of Four rooms screamed mediocrity. Robert Rodriguez's part was completely awesome (seeing a six year olds smoking, drinking, and swearing always gets a laugh), Tarantino's a distant second.
-
You can make better movies for under 5m. Resevoir Dogs. But that was a much different film. I first took your comment as the way I think it was intended: just a means of emphasizing that it is a fantastic film for its budget especially, and I was suprised when Despin bothered to renew the topic. At any rate, I still like the idea that you can always make a better movie...
-
Hey there.
Better movies for under 5 million. Hmmm..... Off the top of my head.
Trainspotting, Bound, In the Bedroom.
All three TOTALY different and all cost less.
I enjoyed Memento, but I dont think its THAT great. Its just a VERY average story with a GREAT gimmick.
Anyone seen Following? I found that more original.
Despin out.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 11, 2003 05:17 AM: Message edited by: Despin entertainment ]</font>
-
Yeah fair point. It's an individual thing I'd still plump for memento outta those but as Yammer said it wasn't really a literal comment.
Afterall I'm 21 and haven't seen enough movies to ever be able to brand something "the best."
BTW I really liked memnto's visual style, the preformances and so on. Some peple I know HATE it. These days I try to appreciate the amount of work that goes into a film no matter how bad the end product.
Another movie too American for it's own good. Top gun!
A movie too un-american for it's own good.
Bowling for Columbine.
-
oh oh 12 monkeys... forgot that one. I just read the script. Dang boy dang! Awesome stuff.
-
i wouldnt say Top Gun is americany at all, its about elite fighter pilets not the elite USA. Not in the way that independence day is 2 hours about how great america is. I havent seen Pearl Habour on account i can tell its gunna be really bad without seeing it, but if thats a quote from the movie then shame on americans for being so egocentric.
-
Hey there.
I don't get all this "too American" lark. Im not American, Yet I don't hate these movie like you do.
Despin out.
-
Hey, I'm from the U.S. I think the reason ID4 was so American is because that's the audience it was made for. As for the president fighting in the jet; that's a little out there. For the most part though I agree with you guys. There is a thin line between patriotism and ignorance/arogance.
-
Ah, haven't posted in almost a year, I come back to the same thing that was here when I last posted. Does that sentence even make sense?
1. Requiem for a Dream
2. Fight Club
3. Amadeus
4. 2001
5. Die Hard
-
I wouldn't say I hate Independance Day, it's just very "American". I don't have anything against Americans, but some of the are so arrogant and ignorant it's funny. For example, a line from Oprah's book club after reading "A Fine Balance" which is a book set in India. "I really liked this book because it showed me that there was like, this whole other country out there"...yes, there's a few of them. Put them all together and you have a whole other world.
-
1)american beauty
2)fight club
3)pulp fiction
4)amelie
5)blair witch project
-
Hello.
Yeah, I figured out a better way (i think) of describing the 'Were so great look at us' American films, and seperating them from the good American films. I call the first lot 'Hollywood films.'
I.e Armaggeddon, Indipendance day, Pearl Harbour. Armaggeddon, spot how many American flags are in the film...I havn't tried but it's gotta be over thirty different scenes. Ok, they do have a russian in there, but he was insaine. Indipendance day...I needn't say anything. Pearl Harbour...What the **** is Ben Affleck moody guy, doing in a film like that...and the love story was totaly unneccessary...i probably spelt that wrong. Anyway, the origional is better...i think it was Torra Torra.
What could have been a great version was spoiled by a ****** love triange, stupid lines like 'How'd you like being shot at?!', stupid stunts like flying planes at each other...how are you supposed to take it seriousley...Mr Brookhehimer should stick to other films and leave the war flicks to Speilberg.
Anyway, just my oppinion, don't slay me for it.
Karribu.
-
i think you talked alot of sense there. I have nothing against movies that celebrate american culture but when its stuff like the films you have named then its just taking it way too far to stomach
-
i heartily agree with what you say. its bad enough the america likes to to make sure we all know who's boss (but then again who made em boss?) by blowing the **** out of everyone else, wihout drilling it int us in the movies.
of course there are many american movies which right royaly kick @$$ without making a fuss of being proud and, well, arrogant.
there should be more films like american beauty,dazed and confused,stand by me etc. that tell it how it is/was without standing america on a golden plynth for all to bow down to.
no offence to fellow american exposure dude's
-
America is the world's superpower. Don't know if anyone watches football on here but British patriotism gets a bit much during the World Cup and so on.
Ya gotta take films like Independance day with a pinch of salt. I think the main point( if it has a point) is that the world unites against a common foe. It's portrayal of the rest of the world isn't very good, but afterall they don't know much about us!
-
I agree to a point, but look at films like U571 for instance...I don't know what's more annoying. The fact that the director thought he could get away with changing the facts so drastically, or the fact that he did get away with it.
http://www.iofilm.co.uk/fm/u/u571_2000.shtml
But again, we can't let that kind of stuff ruin our opinion of the rest.
Has anyone seen Requiem for a dream? I keep hearing about it but I've never seen it.
Karribu.
-
Well, might as well give my two pennies:
Top 5 films in no particular order:
Donnie Darko (yeah yeah, there's a post about this, I don't really care! I love this movie!)
Amelie (simply beautiful, a great laugh)
Any one of Romero's 'Dead' Trilogy. (I hear he's making a new one too!)
Evil Dead (I love Sam Raimi, I love Bruce Campbell, for it's time and to this day, this movie is the proverbial sh1t!)
Airheads (had to have this one in! Steve Buscemi, Adam Sandler and Brendan Fraser, what a combination! Made me laugh so much!)
-
Oh, and my movie for 2003 (already) is City of God.
Fuck1ng excellent movie! It's gonna take an absolute gem to beat it!
-
i much prefere air heads to this is spinal tap. Plus its adam sandlers best film, god hes been in some stinkers, how on earth is he so popular?