-
Andy Gangadeen played on some tracks on David French's new cd. I've been playing some live gigs with David and I really like the unigue way Andy plays the 2 tracks he recorded. Does anyone know this guy? I'd like to get some more info on the recordings he has made. He's from the UK.
-
Andy is simply awesome! I don't know the guy personally but we went to the same drum teacher called Bobby Armstrong here in London.
He's an incredible groove player and totally embraces technology, transferring all the new Jungle, Garage and RnB rhythms to the drum kit. His time and feel are great. I've seen him do a live drum and bass set with loads of electronics and it blew my head off - killing! His knowledge or DnB and break beats is so hip. Definitely one of the guys that are taking modern technology, combining it with fantastic, progressive drumming and advancing music.
-
He first came to light playing with CnC Music factory, then got the Spice Girls gig and then when Steve Alexander got ill during a Jeff Beck tour Andy was called to play. I have met him once during his CnC days, we were rehearsing in the same space in LA, CnC was next door to us. Not a big fan of his playing but he's had some nice gigs.
-
I saw him once or twice when I lived in London and liked his playing, although it looked like he'd been spending time with some Columbian marching powder... [img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img]
-
I'm tellin you he is super hip. He's got a slant on things. Just because he played some commercial gigs doesn't mean he's not creative. I think he has a very unique style.
It was really inspiring to hear and play his tracks. He's got the dance aspect down even on the rock tunes. Instead of playing a groove like the Chili Peppers, he plays this hip Stevie Wonder type groove with an element of techno. Bango ! Now I know why he's getting the good gigs. [img]graemlins/present.gif[/img]
-
There?s a video on Mike Dolbears page:
http://www.mikedolbear.co.uk/movies.asp
-
Hey Drumhead. Thanks so much for the link.
I found it before but I don't think Andy's vid. was up. The video is just a glimpse into the wicked mind of Andy.
I found the www.bays.com link to his band. I really like his playing with this band. Cheers to all you blokes that get to hear Andy.
And cheers to all you tokes that get to hear Vinnie regularly !
Wish I could be in three places at once. Mayber my next life. Who knows?
-
Blake, whats with that bays link?!?! [img]confused.gif[/img] You trying to sell us MUFFINS or sommat?!?!
[img]eek.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 19, 2003 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Dazzler ]</font>
-
I saw Andy with Jeff Beck and it just did nothing for me, After seeing Steve and of course Bozzio with Beck it's hard to follow that. Maybe he is a good player and I just have not seen it yet.
-
Mmmm Muffins. Sorry bout that.
www.andygangadeen.com
-
I feel compelled to post something on the subject of Andy Gangadeen because he is one of my musical heroes.
Unlike a lot of the guys mentioned on the forum, you don't see an awful lot of fireworks in this playing but this isn't really what he's about. Groove is epitomised in Andy's playing. A couple of years ago, I attended a drumming summer school in Winchester, UK. We were really lucky to have Andy attend on one of the days. He played a really basic house beat that was just awesome! He draped one of his jumpers of the snare to give a muted sound, similar to that of an electronic effect. Anyway, it was just fantastic. I still think about that moment now!
I really admire the way he has immersed himself into the many facets of dance music. I recently read somewhere that he no longer listens to much music with "human" drummers on. This may sound like sacrilage to many of you here, but when you witness Andy hammering out a blistering drum and bass groove, it is simply mind-blowing. In my opinion, when he is playing such styles as drum and bass and house, he is miles ahead of guys like Johnny Rabb and Jo Jo Mayer. I can't put my finger on why, maybe it's just much more musical. Watching him play, his head down and eyes shut you can tell that what he wants is for us to FEEL his music and dance. Ah, it's just ace.
What can I say, Andy Gangadeen rocks. As a big fan of contemporary dance music, he has inspired me to incorporate (or at least try!) many dance styles into the stuff I play. With regards to anything drum and bassy over 180 bpm, it can get a bit tricky though!
-
At some point I'm going to put a link to an Andy track that I had to play. To this day I can't figure it out. I don't know if he's playing brushes or what? Give me a few days. I'm really busy for the holidays. His groove kills me. He doesn't play fills, but his way of playing grooves is the answer to all questions. He has serious endurance as well!
-
Here are some of my favourite examples of Andy's playing. Hope you can track them down! -
- Massive Attack - "Mezzanine"
- Amanda Ghost - "Ghost Stories"
- Incognito - "Tribes, Vibes and Scribes"
- Terry Callier - "Speak Your Peace"
I think you should all visit www.thebays.com and check out the many downloads available. All kinds of lovely grooves here, oh yes.
My fav from the above has to be Andy's playing on Mezzanine. I'm not sure how much input he had in creating the grooves but they are so slinky and suit the music perfectly.
While I was at school, I used to get a bit of stick as I used to listen to a recording of one of The Spice Girls live concerts on my walkman. No matter what I said, I couldn't convert my friends. I know this is more of a fusion forum but I think The Spice Girls made brilliant pop songs and Andy's playing is suitably poptastic
I know that Andy did not like gigging with The Spice Girls one bit and it was the last nail in the coffin concerning big name pop tours.
Listening to The Bays though, it sounds like he made the right choice! If you ever have the chance of seeing The Bays live, go see. I have yet to see them live and it is a must for the future. In fact, a new year's resolution!
-
Thanks Galapagos! This is extremely appreciated info. Do you know when he started using the towel on the snare fx?
-
Check out the latest tale from Chris Taylor. A few words a session that Andy played on, really funny stuff. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! -
http://www.thebays.com/members/TT/index.html
-
hi all
The Bays are playing On the Rocks @ Kingsland rd London. Sat 31/01/04. This is the only London gig schedule for them in the near future. Andy with The Bays is a free spirit, as all the set is improvised, the only limitation is: his imagination. More so, he plays with the rest of the band at front of the stage, so all of you can have a very close look, too =0)
-
I have to say, Andy is one of my favourite players ever. He's positively the sweetest man in the world and one of the sweetest players too.
It's a shame you didn't dig Andy when you saw him Randy, maybe he was having an off night. Massive Attack, M-People, and the Spice Girls were all just money for Andy, his heart lay elsewhere and I for one really admire the fact that he dropped those massive gigs to follow his passion.
I too was at that course in Winchester! He put the towel over the snare to get a thick thud, and so overtones wouldn't make the note sound clouded. You can really tell how tight someone's playing is when they do that as it stops any other sound but the impact.....
Great stuff, and I for one will be at that Bays gig!...
MP
-
Thx for the link, i'm liking what I hear...
-
Hi Groovemesiter!
If you don't mind me asking, what is your name and what year did you go to Winchester? I know Andy's been there a few times so I was just wondering. I went during the summer of 2001, boy was it hot!
I was so impressed by Steve Washington. I was lukcy enough to have a long lesson with him a few months later, he's one of my favourites!
Jonathan