Thread: New Feat: Unarmored Defense Proficiency (Beginner)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

I have discovered this feat through my gaming in the swashbuckling paradigm. I post it here for your reference. I make it available to rogues and spell casters who are limited in armor use. I have reservations about clerics and fighters using it, because they are normally permitted the use of greater armored protection. Anyone wishing to use this feat should discuss it with me PRIOR to taking it (and not the day of a game).

There is also an Intermediate and Master version of this feat, each requiring the previous.

Unarmored Defense Proficiency (Beginner)

Benefit: Your base AC (normally 10) is increased by a bonus determined by your level when you are unarmored. When wearing armor, this bonus is not applied. The bonus applies even when the Dex Mod is denied. It actually increases the BASE AC, and is not considered a s any type of named bonus.

Level Bonus

1 +3
    2 +3
    3 +4
    4 +4
    5 +4
    6 +5
    7 +5
    8 +5
    9 +6
    10 +6
    11 +6
    12 +7
    13 +7
    14 +7
    15 +8
    16 +8
    17 +8
    18 +9
    19 +9
    20 +9

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vilarneseh would not have been able to take this feat for another three levels at least, and then it would have been only he didn't come upon some armor in the meantime that would have been more attractive than the +6 bonus this feat would allow him to have.

It's a very real possibility for the wizard I'm dreaming up for the next round of dog mea . . . um, adventurers, however.

Would the DM consider this feat's progression to continue into epic levels, or cap off?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 14, 2004 06:57 PM: Message edited by: EinkilIsAlive ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The feat stacks with the other two from the sound of it.

The one he's listed is the Basic/Beginner feat. There's the Intermediate feat which stacks to the beginner and then the Master's which stacks to both the beginner and intermediate one...sort of akin to Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave.

It's a tree of its own, so by the time all three max out, you should have something like AC 30 or so, without wearing armor. Neat, eh? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wishful thinking, Lyss [img]wink.gif[/img]

Each subsequent chart takes the place of the previous. They do NOT stack. I looked all over the web for them in order to avoid typing, but couldn't find anything more than the first level. Below I will list them all. Guess I couldn't avoid the typing, but I think they are among the best feats I have seen. It's pretty fair too. Feats don't come so easy, but to non warrior-types, neither does AC.
    A human fighter gets three feats at first level, and if he/she took all three levels of this, and nothing else, the AC would be 17 (before dex bonus), or the equivalent of Chainmail and a large shield. While he likely could not afford this protecton that early, it balances because he did not take any of those great fighter feats that are preqs for better feats down the road. On the other hand, a mage having taken the master feat, would by 20th level have the equivalent of +5 full plate and a +2 large shield, without any penalties for encumberance and not counting other forms of magical protection or dexterity.

Level - Beginner/Intermediate/Master

1 +3/5/7
    2 +3/6/8
    3 +4/6/8
    4 +4/6/9
    5 +4/7/9
    6 +5/7/10
    7 +5/8/10
    8 +5/8/11
    9 +6/8/11
    10 +6/9/12
    11 +6/9/12