I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the players for my absence and lack of communication. I would like to specifically apologize to Hummingbird for not responding to her e-mails in a timely fashion. With the holidays and specific life events I have had little time for even myself. Christopher, I did not want to answer your Wife's questions until I was able to collect my thought and confront your last post with as much objectivity and the least amount of toxicity as possible. I have attempted in the past to make my end of our previous argument a blend of logic, objectivity and emotional support. I have quoted your last post for easy reference. It is as follows:

I know what it is like to become attached to a character and lose it. I also know that some people invest a lot of time and energy into their characters. I know I would if I were a player. Even the people who offhandedly say, ?It?s just a game? are the very ones who get depressed when their characters die.
We have a variety of players at Caer Falken, ranging from those who make it a priority to be here, to those who keep it as a back up plan, just in case they have nothing better to do on a Friday night. We have players who send me updates on their characters every time there is a change, and those who must be nagged to do so. The player styles range from deep immersion role playing to greedy power gamers, with every combination in between. There are those who give me ample warning when they cannot play, and those who keep me guessing up until the very last second (or even fail to show up without a peep).

Sometimes I feel like a proud father and sometimes I feel like I am a Sunday School teacher. While you guys are keeping track of one or two characters, I have to run the whole show. Sometimes its like pulling teeth to get stuff done, waiting for people to post, reminding people of the rules, arguing via AIM about what the character cannot do or how to interpret a spell. It is a lot of work, but I?m not complaining, as it?s a labor of love. And while you are each concerned with having fun, my concern is making sure you do. And it is not always even possible to do that.

Because I also have to think about aspects you don?t, like game balance. Is the group of comparable skill level? Is the monster too hard or too easy? Who does not yet have a magic weapon or armor and who has far too many? What can I do now that I see that so and so?s new magical item, spell or feat is really broken?

And how do I accomplish this? By keeping things intentionally vague, fluid and ever-changing, that?s how. So when you go looking back for a ruling on this or precedent on that and don?t find one, it?s because the only hard and fast rule is this: ?What I say goes?.

If I decide to have Cattalinia intervene, I will. If I decide you have healed extra or lost something, well then that?s the way it is. This is part of the Mystique of the Caer Falken Inn, but also a defense mechanism in a game in which, by its very nature, breaks all the rules anyway. I have to trust that everyone is being fair and honest (even when other players start complaining about obvious inequities). There are nights when I could swear half of you are cheating. I, of course, don?t want to believe any of you are capable of that and will never make such an accusation. But my keeping you guessing or throwing out surprises or changing rules at the drop of a hat are defensive reactions to the players who roll 50 20?s in a row and who crit every other swing, while characters of equal power are out there missing targets and failing saves.

And if I think it is fair and just and right to have an over-powered, broken character meet the same fate as his colleagues, then that is the way it will be.

For most of the past two and a half years, I have done right by most players (or else why would they keep coming back?), while others have not enjoyed themselves and left. But I have to keep order somehow, and unlike in a table top game, you are not all in the same room with me, rolling in front of me or talking to me. It is tedious and time consuming to have to type out every little thing, and I don?t even have enough room with a wide screen to have all the AIM buttons lined up on my screen, which means it takes time just to find you! I guaranty that for every frustration you experience in the game, I visit those same obstacles tenfold, and have additional ones to boot. Anyone who finds the game no longer desirable to play is free to find another game with no hard feelings. And while I always want to hear your opinions on things, the ?that?s not right? argument is never going to be one that you can win here. As the saying goes, ?I?ll be the judge of that?, and those of you who have played with many DM?s know that, as our ilk go, I?m pretty fair.

Despite my iron clad authority over the game, I feel I have been democratic in most cases to a fault. In fact, the reason we played Tindale the night everyone died is not because I wanted to, but because everyone else did. While not everyone recalls this, I have asked the opinion of the players every time I have thought about instituting major change. ?What do you think about using character background in plots??, ?Should we use 3.0, 3.5 or three and quarter??, ?What do you think about the amount of sex and violence in the game??, ?How do you feel about ongoing campaigns as opposed to one-nighters??, ?What types of monsters does your character hate??, ?WHAT GAME DO YOU WANT TO PLAY TONIGHT??

Please never mistake the fact that I am constantly asking your opinions in an attempt to improve the gaming environment and quality of the experience with The Caer Falken Inn gaming paradigm being a democracy. It can?t be, it won?t be and it shouldn?t be.

So here is another rule of thumb. Ask and question all you want about atmosphere, rules, background, technique, strategy or other playability issues. But once I have made a decision, don?t argue about it with me. It is a Flaw in MY character to take such arguments as whiny, ungrateful and pointlessly unproductive. Nobody?s perfect.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I could go through this piece by piece and attempt to continue to argue what points were first brought forth. I see now that would be futile. I find your argument to be skewed, vague, implicative and tautological in nature. You may even have fashioned your argument this way intensionally to make a public example. What I derived from your last post was that: </font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Players should not question you, unless asked.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">After which, any decision you make should not be questioned, unless you ask.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You have iron clad authority and nothing flies unless it is your decision.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The outcome of any decision may not be solely your responsibility, because you may have asked the players and may have made a decision based on thier beliefs, in which case it was not your decision.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Any decision you make should not be questioned, unless you ask.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You possess iron clad authority and nothing flies unless it is your decision.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As a rule of thumb, once you have made a decision a player should not argue or he/she will be reduced to a whiny, ungrateful, unproductive player in your eyes.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok...so after this I quess I should get it. I guess all the players should get it. After all it is a clear and concise public example. Seriously, two things I would like to bring to your attention. Inconsistency breeds confusion and frustration. Most importantly, the illusion of authority is nothing more than the attempt of the inflexible to direct the actions of the weak willed. Christopher, in all walks of life you will be unable to gain true leadership from an emotional or physical show of force. On average a verbal lashing, physical confrontation or a brow beating will not ensure any sort of authority. I am sharing this with you because there is more at stake for you to lose than a person you have interacted with over cyber space as an aquaintance. If you truly believe in authority, I can not support your beliefs in any forum. It is just that simple, an individual's "authority" ends when there is nothing/no one left to excercise it over. I am probably viewed as a small or insignificant loss to you. If that is the case, it is too bad, many of our mutual aquaintances would tell you that I am a very powerfull friend. But that is not the point here, I hope you are able to rethink your point of view, for your own sake. I wish you, your family, and the rest of the players a merry holiday filled with hope and light.