Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

When a DM uses character history and backstory in plotlines, there are typically three schools of opinion.

One is that, it is just another opportunity to play, and so long as their is gold, glory, magic and XP, who cares.

Another mode of thought is that one or two characters will get all the attention and everyone else gets relegated to the background. Some people don't like being Legolas or Gimli, or Lancelot or Merlin. They want to be Aragorn or Arthur, and why should someone else get it over them? I almost lost a player, who happened to be a dwarf, because the themes constantly revolved around the humans, and gave his character no motivation. Treasure, experience, fame and even friendship were just not incentive enough for him to lay down his life and spend his time so the humans could get out of their fix. Over the years I have changed my mind time and again as to whether I thought he had a valid point, or was merely selfish. I then had to look at myself and determine if I was being unfair to him, or would I have been unfair to everyone else to set them on a dwarven quest. I think both sides of that coin have valid points.

However, the vast majority of my players (which may not actually include you - which is why I am writing this) thought that tailoring campaigns to fit the lives of party members was exciting and worthwhile, and more valid than saving some unknown townsfolk from a ravaging ogre.

So I am posing this question to the players. Would you as a player, and your characters as adventurers (or heroes) be excited by adventures based on the life experiences of your characters? Understand that it is unlikely that all characters would get a chance to be the object of the story, and in fact, some of the characters have such watery backgrounds that this might not even be possible. This is merely something I might pursue, if the players like the idea.

Plots have a life of their own, and certainly I do not always plan some of the quests that do happen...they just sort of grow organically through game play and random linkage. I find characters with interesting backgrounds to be as fertile a field for planting adventure than any other.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One of the reasons I have great respect for anyone willing to assume the mantle of DM is that it is a constant challenge to develop storylines that are engaging. It is also impossible to be completely successful. I haven't enjoyed some of the plotlines I've played in, and that is in part because they didn't motivate the character I was playing at the time. I'm sure others have found the same to be true, but different stories missed the mark for them.
    Plots that are inspired by character backgrounds are no different in this regard. You just can't say what will fit whom. Einkil would probably be more interested, for instance, in hunting lizards with Merilin the elf than righting some wrong in the home of Gwylln the dwarf. Why? He likes simple solutions like killing the bad guy. He's not terribly comfortable around most dwarves, since they have the things he lacks (clan, civilization), and the fact that Gwylln is a girl AND a wizard just makes it harder for him to figure her out. Point is, on the surface one might expect him to be more interested in the dwarven plotline.
    I trust that you, our DM, will always try to give us a mix of physical, magical, and mental challenges that best fits our interests and skills as players and characters. This will happen no matter where you draw material from. I would say if the idea intrigues you, by all means go for it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mixed feelings. I've been in some situations where basing adventures on a character's background backfired big time where conflicting visions occured, or instead of plot hooks, there formed a monster story that was linear and inevitable.

That said,You've done this before and it worked. I do recall fondly a brief foray Aoborr had visiting his own people to slay an ettin and other beasties. While I don't look so much for stories based on my character(s), it almost always brings a smile to see character backgrounds incorporated to affect the setting itself. Be it a geographical location one character came from, or a people's culture/history connected to some magic item we found. It's always more fun when a lore wise character can pick up a sword and go "This was wielded by the elfmaid Syndreial Starheart. With this, she slew the Orc Chieftain Narl Bonebreak. She found other swords of power, greater than this... but this one was always special to her." rather than going "a +1 sword." Even better if Starheart is an ancestor of one of the elves in the party. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 22, 2004 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Dramavictim ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would love plotlines motivated by charactor history, I think it defintely aids in the fleshing out of the characters. I have no problem being in a plotline that centers around others, knowing full well that my own kinds of adventures alway surface eventually, and I would hope all the other players feel the same. My opinion...go for it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that making the story line something of a personal nature is a great touch...Stranng has already gone into situations and enviorns that he normally would have avoided because his comrades percieved a need.If Einkill needed his help reclaiming his land or if Merilin found more of the creatures that may have been responsible for her friends death and felt she needed to deal justice upon them, Stranng would surely go. If Jaskyn needed to find a place in which he wanted to build a temple and needed help with dealing with forest inhabitants, or if Lynliss or Garrick requested help in any way..Stranng would answer that call also. I think pluggin into the backgrounds of player characters is a great idea.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Imagine this...I'm actually posting something!
    I am hoping to begin playing again in the adventurers games. I want to throw in my two cents worth regarding using a characters background or desires as a basis for a game. I have no problem with the idea as long as some consideration is given to why each character in the group should go along and also that the game be of a shorter nature...say 2 nights gaming at the most.