Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,
    Just a quick note to let everyone know that Ken has sent me some great pics of his latest system, they are featured here:
    Ken's System pics
    Sorry the files are a bit large for those of us on dial up, but I think the quality is well worth the wait.
    Best regards,
    Peter.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Digital crossover!! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Hi Ken,
    I see the photo of you system,it's look great but I want to know how can you solve the problem of the phase shift between the horn driver and the woofer?

Regards Jimmy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great Ken. Now you might start considering to get rid of that Vx rectangular horn. The S2 in that horn does not do well. Also, may I ask what the two tweeters do in your systems?

Rgs,
    The Pussy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't have the S2's yet. Hopefully those will be coming within the next couple of weeks.

I already had a pair of circular wood 330hz tractrix horns standing by when that photo was taken and those are what I'm using now.

Because I lack pussy level hearing, I find the need to blast copious ammounts of HF to really experience the true meaning of hifi. Hehe.
    The JBL 2405's are not connected anymore.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Ken,
    Do you mean your digitial crossover has a phase controller? Because the lenght of 220S horn is 34.5 inches, adapted to the driver then the voice coil will far away from the front stand of the horn about 32 inches(minus 7 inches for thr curve of the horn),the voice ciol height of the Altec woofer is about 5 inches and add the thickness of the cabinet plank 0.75 inch, there are 26.25 inches phase shift between the woofer and the driver, this is the problem that I can't make it because if I apply the Altec VOTT mode to make a front horn for the woofer to aviod phase shift,the depth of the cabenit is 39.5 inches, it can't through most of the room door and the lift of the apartment! That's mean you can't use it at home so I give up my planning, do you have any good way to solve the problem?

Regards Jimmy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

Off topic:
    Ken you said your new LF Enclosures has ?Rockwool? insulation for damping. But the Rock Wool can cause lung cancer so it was prohitbit to any civil use nowadays! I suggest you to abandon it for your safety.

Regards Jimmy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your digital crossover is very useful for the horn builder, although I prefer to use passive crossover rather than active, but now I will consider with the digital crossover which I may apply it to the low frequency as my solution to aviod phase shift. The midrange and tweeter still use passive crossover for my planning. Thank you very much to your sharing!
    Your LF Enclosures has glue to bind up the rock wool, it's a good idea and it's seem safe to use at home.
    Regards Jimmy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My crossover has almost everything you would need. Phase inversion, time delay, parametric EQ etc.

As for the insulation, I've kept the potential of dust dowm by spraying all the exposed surfaces with glue to bind everything up. The glue I've used remains tacky so that it can still catch any stray particles if theey do get loose.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Digital crossovers are good for the initial tuning of your system, but once you get it right, a switch to passive, especially line-level, will get you better sonic results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast