Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

While a great deal of time was spent with some serious Role Play (a good thing), and the battle with the undead Dracotaurs was completed, you were all presented with a new foe: A Great Red Wyrm Zombie Dragon, the largest dragon-being you have ever seen, or maybe ever will!

Clearly, being a zombie, I won't need to tell you that it will lack certain abilities that a fully functional dragon would have, and if this was a living one, you would have no chance of success. Likewise, undead have their own special defenses as well.

We probably lost a good hour of potential game time discussing what to do, and Oakshade can only really make general suggestions, because the strategy should not come from the DM.

I would like to get right into the meat of the battle on Friday, without another hour of "thinking about it". Fifteen minutes is more than enough to get motivated if you have laid out your game plan here...which is part of what this Hostboard is for.

So please discuss the following:

Will you fight this thing? If so, when? How? What are the strategies? Who will play what role? Consider the size and location of the foe (and it is NOT inside, it guards OUTside).

If you are getting creamed, do you withdraw, or fight to the death?

What happens if you defeat it? What next? Do you enter the tower right away? If so, how?

There are likely even more issues to discuss, but here is a start.

You are all good players, but often the challenging obstacles keep you from action, procrastinating for hours, hoping that someone else will come up with the good idea. Let's fix that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Allie suggested taking on the dragon by attacking simultaneously on as many fronts as possible...from above and on the ground, from all four directions, to confuse it and to limit the number of the party who'd be hurt by its breath weapon.

If we use that strategy Celene has the best defenses against the dragon and would be the best to draw its attention: DR 30/Fire thanks to the ring of greater resistance, fire and the dragon shield. The Holy Avenger will grant her Spell resistance 23 as well.

Thaylias could then attack from the left or right flank while Kel attacks from the opposite flank. Shanti and Thurvold attack from the air with their spells and powers, again keeping at opposite sides from each other, while Oakshade and Allie provide support and healing when needed.

This strategy would also work to effectively 'corner' the dragon zombie in such a way that it could not retreat if its back is already to the tower wall.
    --

Getting inside the tower after the battle should also be easy. Between Allie's flying carpet, various potions of fly, Thurvold's spells, and Shanti's griffon people can land on the top of the tower and work their way from the top to the basement. Allie's also got slippers of spider climbing, a rope of climbing, and a grappling hook to use on the coil of rope the batfolk gave her for those who might prefer to climb the walls the old fashioned way.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Short answer as I'm supposed to be working [img]smile.gif[/img]

I say we fight it, as mentioned. Shanti can hit it with cold or electricity, putting all her powers into it. I would rather we not fight to the death, if it seems futile we withdraw and regroup and discuss further strat, for perhaps another day while tending our wounds.

IF we do kill the beast, we should rest and recover, expecially if I expend a lot of power points to help down it. Once the beast is gone, we hit the tower and undead IN DAYLIGHT.

my 2 coppers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like it!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Definitely put Fireproofed Celene up against the mouth end. Good strategy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If the spellcasters attempt to immobilize the dragon at first rather than going for injury (such as encasing its wings in blocks of ice or stone so it cannot fly, blinding, deafening it, etc.) would make the battle go a lot easier for the melee group.