Eve wasn't nearly as gung-ho about going inside as Jara was. The butterflies in her stomach weren't just fluttering around - they were crashing and burning, too. "Yeah. I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm going in, too. There weren't any clues as to where she might have gone?" Or even more - was she still *there?* She didn't really like that prospect, and liked the idea of seeing her handiwork even more. At least she'd gotten used to sleeping little. The pit of her stomach did sink to the ground at the mention of a possible copycat situation. In Chicago? A little frown creased her brows, but she was doing pretty well at keeping herself in check. The anxiety wasn't really even showing; she'd even kept from fidgeting. "I'm going to need therapy after this, aren't I?" She didn't really mean it, but she had to say *something* to try and lighten the situation.

It had all the ear marks of Law and Order, CSI, or any of those types of shows. Yellow caution tape sealed off the area, and the local police were there to fend off onlookers. FBI? Yup. DEA? Yup. News and TV media coverage? Yup. Yup. Yup. Though they were kept outside the sealed-off section, they were talking to anyone that could or would give them any insight into what was going on. Jara just shook her head at the whole thing. (m) "'Tis like a bloody circus." Slipping own her dark glasses and grabbing her Blackberry, she stepped out of the SUV, following Eve and Steele they moved through the masses to meet up with her brother Jared and a very pale looking Brehnic Kohnar. Brehnic had finally stopped throwing up, but only because there was nothing left inside to get rid of.

Jared leaned in close to have a few whispered words with Tohmaz. Steele slowly nodded, then patted Brehnic on the back and motioned towards the two ladies.
"Alright you two, it's bad in there, so when you feel you can't handle anymore, just head back here. You two get to do some *hands-on* vibing. Especially you Eve. You ready for that?" It wasn't that Steele didn't think she could handle it, but it was what was discussed on the way there: Eve X, as described by his partner. If it *was* her, that raised a whole new set of questions - mainly what and how Doctor Darcy Jason fit into all of this, and why she seen around the area. Was it what Eve had *Seen* inside the mirror that caused the resident shrink and Empath to go suicidal?

After getting the official clearance from those in charge, Steele led the two ladies inside. A CSI agent stopped them and handed each of them a white mask to help filter the smell. "Trust me, you'll need it." Steele nodded, giving one last look to his two partners.
Jara was primed and ready to go. She'd pulled her hair into a ponytail and placed the small mask over her nose and mouth. A subtle nudge of the shoulder was given to Eve, and she whispered a few encouraging words to her. (w) "Therapy? Nah, ye be just fine."

Now was about the time that Eve was wishing she'd remembered her sunglasses. It was just as well, though; she'd only get annoyed with them and take them off, anyway. She did slip a piece of elastic out of a pocket in her jacket, absently pulling her hair into a ponytail. "I'm as ready as I'm ever going to be." This was just before she donned the mask, and that only hid the half-hearted smile she flashed Jara's way. It had made Brehnic sick; that didn't make her feel much more confident about the whole thing. She didn't give herself much more time to go doubting everything, or think anymore on it; Eve stepped through the door --

-- The smell was blood, body fluids and rotting meat, all combined in a way to make it more offensive than any of them could have possibly been alone. Death. The mask didn't seem to do much about the smell; first breath, it still caught in her throat and made her choke, gag --

-- Lust. Sheer, complete, consuming passion followed, building to climatic release. But it wasn't enough - he hadn't given her enough, hadn't *fed* her enough...

The shock when he'd glimpsed the shine of the blade was delicious, the sharp bite of fear, and terror when it tore into his flesh, again and again and again...

The red rush of pain came with the terror, and it was exhilarating; she'd never felt so alive before as she did now, tearing the man apart with the sharp edge of the blade. His eyes ... he'd been watching her the entire time, and she soon found those same eyes in her hand, the exultant feeling building once more... But that *damnable* chill. It slipped down her spine, making her whirl to the blood spattered mirror. Shrieking at the image there, she threw the knife --

Eve came back to herself, sitting on her backside right where she'd fallen inside the door. Realizing she'd stopped breathing, she stupidly drew a deep breath - and promptly started to choke on the death-tang in the air. Reeling, the young woman turned, skittering to her feet just in time, and managed to make it outside and rip the mask off before she threw up in the bushes.

Jara could handle it. Yupper, she was just fine. She didn't need to get *hands on* like Steele suggested. Hell, she didn't even need to see the body. Kneeling down to lightly trace the white chalk outline of what was left of the largest part of the body, her eyes went a lighter shade, and a single tear fell from her eye. (m) "Ye poor man. This should nae happen to a dog, let alone a human bein'." Inhaling sharply, she tried to focus on the job at hand.

Inhaling like that was a *bad* idea, because that gag reflex would not be denied. No one there would fault her, especially any of her male counterparts. Making a motion to Steele as she stood up, Jara quickly made her way back through the door and ripped off her mask just in time to join her partner outside.

Steele, on the other hand, was going over reports from the few agents that were still inside, as well checking out the whole flat rather than just the scene of the crime. Spending as much time needed to get what they came for, Steele would join the other three outside twenty or thirty minutes later. After tossing the mask into the trash, those dark brown eyes peered over the tops of his tinted glasses at his crew. His stare rested somewhat longer on the form of one Eve N. Lizt.

Wrapping things up with those in charge, Steele led his crew back to where the two SUVs were parked. Brehnic sat on the bumper of Jared's SUV, drinking and rinsing his mouth clean with a bottle of water. Jared compared notes with Steele, and Jara kept looking back at the flat; her eye color still hadn't changed back ...

Eve had rinsed her mouth out more than once, but it seemed to her that the smell was stuck in her lungs and clothes. She hadn't said a word since running out, and currently leaned against the side of Steele's SUV, slowly rolling the bottle of water back and forth between her palms. She wasn't focused on anyone in particular, but seemed to be staring at the ground, wide-eyed. A bit on the pale side, but she didn't look much worse for wear; even she was surprised that her hands were steady.

Jared looked at the three, then back at Steele before nodding his head in agreement. "Okay group, let's pack it up an' head back. This summer heat is not helpin' matters any, an' the AC will help a bit. Jara, you ready? Jara?" It was hard to tell if she was ignoring him or not, for she was still staring at the flat. Jared went to get her, but Steele waved him off and glanced over at Eve.

Once eye contact was made, Steele tilted his head in Jara's direction and nodded his head to Eve. Yeah, there was a method to his madness. He went to help the other two men load their gear.

She'd more or less been lost inside her own head for a time, trying to distance herself from what had happened inside. Whether it was Darcy or Eve X, what had happened in there was sickening - but in a very twisted way, it had also been thrilling. It had worked without boundaries, without inhibitions... But undeniably, whomever, *whatever* had committed the act was a monster. There was simply no other word for it.

Dragging out of her own thoughts, she'd caught Steele's gaze, followed his lead to Jara. Stopping the motions of her hands, the young woman straightened and approached Jara with slow steps. "Hey." Eve nudged her gently, shoulder-to-shoulder, speaking softly. "You okay?"

The nudge caused Jara's glasses to slide down just enough to show the current state of her eyes. Also, being that close would allow for the slight fog of crystallized breath coming from Jara's mouth to be seen. (w) "I will. Ye hav' me word. Safe travels, an' Godspeed."

Her eyes slowly reverted back to their normal color, and Jara held herself, suppressing a shiver. (m) "Hmm? Hey, Evie. Ye got a piece o' gum on ye? Me breath be smellin' like somethin' be damned." With a semi-weak smile, she slowly turned around in the direction of the two SUVs. It was obvious that Jara had Seen *something; * it seemed that save for Jared and Steele, the rest were not coming out of this unscathed.

Eve handed her a piece of minty gum one of the other guys had given her, and figured her stomach had calmed down enough to pop a piece of it herself. At least it helped get past that awful, clinging smell. "Who was it?" Softly asked as she moved back toward the cars. She was figuring on the victim, but wouldn't have been too shocked to find it was someone else.

Once they were all set, Steele looked at the three of them. "First thing in the morning, the three of you will have a group session with Dr. Maxwell. No arguments. You don't show, you're a desk jockey until I say otherwise. Jara, you ride with your brother and Brehnic. Meet you back at the condo, Pirate." Jared knew the look. Jared knew the tone. He nodded, giving the thumbs up sign, before driving off, leaving the remaining two members of the PSD behind.

Steele would have the AC blowing, but waited until they were well on their way before looking over at Eve from over the rims of his glasses. "Not to sound overly cliche, but you wanna talk about it?"

After they left, she'd pulled her hair down from the ponytail, wearing the elastic around her wrist. Eve had been turned slightly to stare out the window, though her expression was too pensive; brows drawn, jaw tight, eyes narrowed slightly. She even jumped at the sound of his voice and looked over at him as if she were about to ask what he said. Instead, she shook her head slightly. "I got one step inside before I. Saw from her point of view. I don't think it actually told us anything we don't already know, and then I had to run out before I threw up on the crime scene. Not exactly stellar, there." Still raw, and she was getting a little tired of that feeling. And the confusion over *what* Darcy could have Seen or Felt to drive her to that ... and some measure of guilt at being the reason the other woman had Seen or Felt it that day in her office.

"Mmm." That was all she'd get from him right then. He'd found or discovered something back at the flat; he just had that *look* like he did. "You want to stop off somewhere and grab a bite? It'll settle your stomach, believe it or not."

"Not really hungry, but you can stop off if you want. Maybe you'll tell me what you found out there, while you're at it." Yep, she knew the look. Eve gave him a sidelong stare before looking back out the window.

Ever see one of those crime shows where whomever is working the morgue can eat like nothing phases them? That's how it was for Steele. One colossal burger with the works, side order of onion rings, and a large diet Pepsi to wash it down. Taking a page out of Eve's book, he said, "Don't be giving me, *that* look." Spoken with a small smile, meant to ease the tension from earlier events.

She'd been picking at an order of fries and half-heartedly sipping on a Code Red Mountain Dew; that level of caffeine pretty much ensured she'd be up for much of the night, choice or not. "Well, it's not everyday that I see someone walk through a gruesome murder, then sit down at eat as if nothing happened. But that does bring me back to the question as to what you found that's giving you that oh-so-smug look?" The arch of her left brow, full mouth quirking in a smile. She seemed to have recovered mostly, except for her appetite. Her cheeks even had that hint of blush again.

"Believe or not, I've seen worse. And it's not a smug look, babe. Hardly." Letting out a deep breath (once he was done chewing, because he would have spit that *all* over her!) "This Eve X frail you talk about? She was there, alright. Your vision was on the money. Dr. Darcy Jason was there was well, but *after* the fact. I'm still working on that one." He paused long enough to snag some of her fries.

"Okay, not smug. More like, 'I know something you don't know.' Babe." She flashed a grin at that, and pushed her fries his way. She'd managed about half, which wasn't bad considering the amount of time it had been since they left the crime scene. "So she was there. And that poor bugger just made the mistake of picking *her* up (or, okay, possibly the other way around) and paid the ultimate price." A sip off her drink, and she shook her head a little. "From what I Saw, she got greedy. Just a few tumbles in the bedroom wasn't enough for her, so she ended up doing *that* to him." Her eyes drifted toward the tabletop, the nails of one hand tapping lightly against the table. "Creepy, if you think about it. Anyone else, and he'd most likely be alive now. But I don't really understand why Darcy would be there - especially afterward?"

"Question: These visions you've been having of late. Have they all been of people dying, being killed or murdered? Possibly by this Eve X, who may be a clone of you? It's like she's the heads to your tail. The Yin to your Yang. Your darker half. It sounds like these particular visions are more like some sort of bond. She can see and feel you and vice-versa, and neither has control over when and if it happens."

"Mostly, yes. Aside from the odd side-trip or Evan sighting, it's all been her - usually on the heels of a homicide." Naturally, she didn't really like the idea of that bond - but it made sense. "It would explain why she thinks I'm haunting her."

Steele had another theory, but decided not to bother her with it until he had more information. "So, you think she also has the mirror phobia thing goin'?"

"Well, she'd definitely turned around and threw a knife at one - or I'm supposing it was a mirror on her end, too." Eve shrugged. "Going off that alone, I'd say so, but I can't be absolutely sure."

"Hmm ... " He scratched at his facial stubble. "And I think Dr. Darcy is following Eve X. Don't ask me why; haven't figured that part out yet. But that's not - " His cell phone began to play the Twilight Zone ring tone. "Hey, Pirate. Yeah? No! All inside the SUV and over Brehnic? Yeah, I guess that makes him officially part of the squad. Yeah, we'll be there. Stop off for a bite to eat. Lizzie-Elf? She's holding up pretty well. Alright, see you there. Out. " Giving Eve a smirk, Steele was sure she could piece together what had happened. Then he'd just give her a look. Not *the* look, but *a* look.

"Again, huh?" Well, made her feel a bit better; at least *she* hadn't had a second bout of it! She'd arched a brow just after Steele got off the phone, taking a sip of her drink. Caffeinated cherry-citrus goodness! "What?" She even had a little smile, with hints of mischievousness in the stormy glint of her eyes.

"Again, huh?" Well, made her feel a bit better; at least *she* hadn't had a second bout of it! She'd arched a brow just after Steele got off the phone, taking a sip of her drink. Caffeinated cherry-citrus goodness! "What?" She even had a little smile, with hints of mischievousness in the stormy glint of her eyes.

"Nothin'. Just looking at you. Anything else on Evan since you woke up with him naked?"

Giving him a look that was almost suspicious, Eve then shook her head - just in time to blush, and laugh a little "No, not since then. I still wonder if he was actually the same guy, or just *an* Evan."

"Damned if these loose pieces of this crazy ass puzzle don't fit. Well, we better be hittin' the road. It's going to be a long night." Steele stood up from his chair, and just as it appeared that he was moving to leave, he leaned across the table, giving Eve not a peck, not a smooch, but an actual kiss. "That was for holding it together back there."

Then Steele gave Eve a look, then snapped his fingers. "I have a hunch frail, and it involves you - Or rather who you look like. You game?" Tossing his trash on the way out, and even being a gentleman, he held the door open for her.

She'd been about to agree with him, both about the puzzle and the night, when he'd cut her off. Not that she minded! Couldn't be all work and no play, after all. After that little bit of enjoyment, Eve smile and got to her feet. "Keep rewarding me like that, and I might have to do it more often." As if she'd *really* let go yet - but it had been tempting! As they exited the building, she threw a curious look up at Tohmaz. "Yeah. What is it?"

"Well, it was obvious that Adam Trenton was at one of the clubs in the Downtown Red Light District. Maybe someone saw him leave with her? Maybe someone would recognize *you.*"

"Sounds possible. I mean, *someone* had to see her, and there's no telling how long she was actually there." Eve shrugged, lips pursing a little. The Downtown Red Light District. The name sort of said it all. "...Why do I have the feeling she was probably dressed like a Goth queen, though?"

Nope. He didn't comment. Not one word. Especially with a frail that could do things with her mind! He just nodded and drove.

Meanwhile ...

Cromwell wasn't happy at the moment. One, his original host body had been injured beyond repair due to the mettlesome meat sacks tampering with the Gate. The guard whom he possessed wasn't high level enough to even get inside the main PSD base, which was where Dr. Maxwell had taken residence. Maxwell would have been his next host body, if not for the Lizt girl and her associates! He had lost track of Eve X, and even the locator spells were not working properly. He couldn't try anything stronger unless he revealed his true nature, which would have placed countless years of planning in jeopardy. All paths would cross soon enough, and when they did ...

In another reality ...

"...I swear I'm losing it again, Doc. First the crazy ass dreams, then waking up in bed with a female version of myself. Hey, you're not Doc Jason ..."

A shake of her head as the new doctor extended her hand. She looked almost as young as he was! "I'm an intern, helping Dr. Jason on her rounds. I'm Stacy. Stacy Hanson."