Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

CAIRNS, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was killed by a stingray barb to the heart on Batt Reef, off the remote resort town of Port Douglas in northeastern Queensland state, his wildlife park Australia Zoo said in a statement.

Crew members aboard Irwin's boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead a short time later, the statement said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," John Stainton, Irwin's friend and producer, said in the statement. "He died doing what he loves best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. Crocs Rule!"

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Irwin for his work in promoting Australia through projects such as "G'Day LA," an Australian tourism and trade promotion week in Los Angeles in January.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," Downer's spokesman Tony Parkinson said.

Irwin's dedication to conservationist causes led him to become a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program "A Current Affair" that "killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me."

However, Irwin had also received negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his month-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the Crocodile Huntress, she costarred on her husband's television show and in the 2002 movie, "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course."

Stingrays have flat bodies and tails with serrated spines, which contain venom and can cause cuts and puncture wounds. The creatures are not aggressive and injury usually occurs when a swimmer or diver accidentally steps on one.

CRIKEY! [img]confused.gif[/img] i liked the crocodile hunter!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I liked him too [img]frown.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

me too. I watched his show with my grandson he always was in awe on what he saw. He had away of keeping us the viewers in awe.. [img]frown.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aaron had visited his Zoo several times with his children. I had hoped when we went over we would get to go there too. I think this man had it all really. Over here he was mobbed everywhere he went like all celebraties..but there at home..he was allowed to be at home. Aaron said you could run into him at the local pizza shop and say hello. You have to think it was sad in some ways but really nice in others. How many celebraties can say they still had a normal family life? He was able to live his life the way we all do yet still be a huge star. I feel sorry for all the children that loved him too. I think his little catch phrases will live on forever. [img]graemlins/broken_heart.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He will be missed.

Inactive Member EvolutionHasBegun's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

it is a tragedy...but a sad reminder of what happens when you take too many risks in life...when you do dangerous work you should never get too comfortable or take things for granted....the price of apathy is your life....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Discovery Communications, Inc. mourns the tragic and sudden loss of Steve Irwin, Animal Planet's Crocodile Hunter. Steve was beloved by millions of fans and animal lovers worldwide and was a true friend to all of us at Discovery. His family and friends are in our thoughts and prayers.

Remember Steve all this week with special airings of The Crocodile Hunter, starting at 6 p.m. ET/PT. Check the schedule.

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites...=netmain_feat2

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Family to hold private funeral for ?Croc Hunter?
    Public memorial for beloved TV figure expected within two weeks

BEERWAH, Australia - The family of ?Crocodile Hunter? Steve Irwin has decided on a private funeral to be held within a week, and a public memorial service will be held within two weeks, with thousands expected.

The 44-year-old Irwin was killed Monday by a stingray while filming a documentary on the Great Barrier Reef.

In a short statement Thursday, Irwin?s father, Bob, said the family and ?closest friends? would attend the private service, confirming that the ?generous government offer? of a state funeral had been turned down.

No details were given on the possible location for a public memorial to the boisterous TV star, although the Irwin family?s 60-acre Australia Zoo and a 52,000-seat sports stadium in the nearby state capital of Brisbane have been mentioned.

The elder Irwin said his son would not have wanted a formal state funeral because ?he?s an ordinary guy, and he wants to be remembered as an ordinary bloke.?

Prime Minister John Howard had said a state funeral would be appropriate for Irwin because he was so well-loved and because of his services to Australia as an unofficial tourism ambassador.

Since his death, several hundred thousand dollars in online donations from the United States alone have poured in to one of Irwin?s wildlife charities. But the head of one of Irwin?s conservation groups, Wildlife Warriors, said he is worried what will happen to the charitable organization after the interest surrounding Irwin?s death recedes.

?But it?s not just about the dollars,? Wildlife Warriors head Michael Hornby told The Associated Press. ?They represent the number of people who are now getting involved. That was a big thing for Steve. He wanted to get the ordinary person, everyday people, involved ... it is coming to fruition.?

Even with the donations pouring in, Hornby admitted he wasn?t sure how the group would cope following Irwin?s death.

?I have to say Wildlife Warriors has never had this much exposure (as) ... through this incident. I think it probably is a groundswell now. The challenge for us is to keep the momentum going,? he said.

Mourners have left flowers, flags, candles, cartoons drawn by children at Australia Zoo, the reptile theme park that Bob Irwin started in 1970 and his son built into an international tourist attraction. In lieu of a condolence book, many well-wishers have signed their names on dozens of khaki shirts, one of Steve Irwin?s trademarks.

Terri Irwin, Steve Irwin?s American-born wife, and two children, Bindi, 8, and Bob, 2, remained secluded at their home near the zoo.

After security officials roped off the area, Bob Irwin and other members of his family took a brief, private tour of the makeshift memorial on Thursday, reading notes from well-wishers, who continued to come to the site.

Terri Irwin has not commented since her husband?s death. Her mother, Julia Raines of Eugene, Ore., told the television newsmagazine show ?Inside Edition? that Terri said she might have trouble coming to grips with being a single parent.

?Terri says it?s going to be hard being the only parent because you depend on the other person more than you realize, and she?s having a hard time with that,? said Raines. ?She told me, ?I?m very concerned about raising the children by myself,? but I know she?ll do well.?