Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Where do you go for them?
    What do you like on them?
    Do you like them?
    What do you like/dislike about them?
    What makes a hot dog good?

I'm thinking about opening an upscale hot dog shop and am interested in input.

<font color="#990000" size="1">[ February 20, 2003 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Terygon ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

I don't really eat them much anymore (I don't eat much meat that isn't chicken, turkey, or fish), but when I lived in Chicago, we had them a lot (plus plenty of that kickass pizza).

There's not many places in Houston to get one, except for James Coney Island.

When I do have one, I like mustard, ketchup, tomatos, and relish on them. Pickles are good to.

What I liked about Chicago was that there were small hot dog stands everywhere. Not carts, just small shops you could go in and get one. Very personalized feeling.

What makes a hot dog good? Using real meat (I prefer turkey, but when I ate beef, I liked the vienna beef ones). A good bun with personality is important to me. I'd think you should have a variety of buns to choose from; regular, wheat, poppy seed, etc.

Hope that helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm thinking about having a variety of sausages, specifically a few different hot dog types (Regular, All Beef, Chicken/Turkey, maybe even *shudder* Tofu), an Italian type, a Polish or Kielbasa, and then maybe a weekly special or two (Chicken and Artichoke, anyone?) and either making my own or contracting out to someone I can keep an eye on (my Garde Manger instructor says putting together a sausage-making kitchen the Health Department will allow to operate may be too expensive to be viable). I'd make the buns and most of the condiments, too, again if feasible.

My personal favorite hot dog place has a condiment bar that takes up almost half its counterspace with four different ketchups, ditto mustards, five relishes, a few kinds of peppers, mayo, chili, kraut, ranch and 1000 island and a few other dressings, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. My sister and I were resposible for the flavored salts for the fries.

The Chicago stand feeling is kind of what I'm looking for, Bran. I like the thought of regulars (Hey, Norm) whose favorites and birthdays I know, that sort of thing. My only worry is location. Can hot dogs fly in sunny, health-obsessed So. Cal.?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That I can't answer. I've never been to California, wish I could help you out on that. I like your idea, though. Lots of variety for all tastes.

Maybe a local chamber of commerce has data on the kind of resturants around. Or someplace you could find research/data on what has been in the areas you're interested in. Maybe near a college?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

Hey folks, I just noticed this thread has had 17 views. Knowing miz Bran, I doubt she'd object to any of you fly-bys tossing in a comment or two.

(Oh, wait, this board is under 'Adult'. You were probably expecting ... something else. Jeez.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We've got UC Santa Barbara and SB City College, so I'm set for colleges. I'm just not sure I could work against decades of 'hot dogs aren't healthy' programmed into the local consciousness (I think I spelt that right.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL, good point about that title, Tery.

Yeah, if anyone else has any ideas or comments, please post them. You wouldn't want her to just rely on my opinion, now would you?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well we don't have hot dogs....but
    Kebabs are well favoured...I like indian food
    so linking the 2 maybe you could try a healthy
    hot and spicey hotdog ??

A vindaloo dog....hmmmm

As its a hot climate...maybe make or add extra hot chillies to a hotdog and offer one free drink
    with it...water would be good for the ruthless buisness owner [img]smile.gif[/img] because it inflames the tongue and wants you drink more....so stock up on pop/soda drinks/cans

double profit literally "hot" dogs and extra drinks money comeing in.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, stingger, I'll keep the "hot" dogs in mind, although maybe for a different reason. We have a lot of chiliheads in the area, so that might be attractive all on its own.