Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Owner Bitten by Pet Cobra While Picking Mites off the Reptile

WEST HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - A man was bitten by his pet cobra while picking mites off the poisonous snake.

The 25-year-old man, whose identity was not released, drove himself to a nearby hospital after being bitten on the thumb Monday. He was later transported to Jacobi Medical Center in New York, a regional center for the treatment of snake bites.

The hospital works with the Bronx Zoo, which stocks a variety of snake anti-venoms. The man's vital signs were beginning to slide when he reached New York, said Dr. Michael Touger, and he could have died had he not received anti-venom.

The man could be hospitalized for several days, and may need surgery on his thumb, Touger said.

Connecticut law forbids individuals from owning venomous snakes. The Asian cobra was confiscated and the man could face state and federal charges, authorities said.

------------------

Inactive Member DeanoatJaxBeach's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

PET Cobra??!!???

Holy crap!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had a very clever answer, but the board has rejected my password two times. This will probably post.

Best Wishes,,,,,

Z

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So what do ya think? He picked a mite too hard?

We found Ekans. #1 brought over a small mouse and we pulled out the couch, looked underneath, took the cushions off, rubbed the little mouse around the cracks, side and rear...and NOTHING. #1 said, "He's curled inside one of the arms, I tell ya. There are coils in the arms and snakes like to curl around them. We need to cut the arm open, and lift it up." I wasn't ready to do that.

We put the couch back together and #1 laid down with a blanket [assumed the position]. The three of us sat talking and watching the most stupid sitcoms I've ever seen when we heard something fall. I said, "What was that?" Nobody knew. I said,, "Where did it come from? "Your office." I checked my office and nothing had fallen anywhere.

Maybe 10 minutes later, #1 went into the TV room [at the front of the house, parallel to my office.] Ekans was crawling out from behind the TV. He'd knocked the remote control onto the floor, which was the noise we heard.

Both girls sat on the couch playing with him. I was paranoid that he'd crawl into the couch after days of fearing that he was already in there. #2 isn't afraid of him anymore. He crawled all over her, wrapped around her foot and tried to crawl up her jeans. All is well. I'm SAVED!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congratulations!

I'm glad that this saga had such a happy outcome.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think I'm quite "out of the woods" yet. #1 had told me that he'd escape from his tank when he was hungry. He's never even tried that in the few months he's been here. Now that he's back in his tank [in my office] and I'm in the office where I can observe him, I notice that he's no longer content to simply curl up inside his log. He's all over that tank. He had his "taste" of freedom and wants it back.

It would be very prudent for me to put some weights on the top screen until he's had a good meal. #1 didn't feed him the small mouse because it wasn't enough and once he starts digestion, he has to wait a week or so before he can start digestion again. She said she'll buy a rat tomorrow and feed them both to him. I could probably remove the weights after he's eaten.

Overall, however, I'm GREATLY relieved. I could just imagine explaining to SO why I cut open the arms of the couch. [What he doesn't know won't hurt him is my motto.]

------------------

Inactive Member Paper or Plastic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z, was your answer more clever than, "Holy crap!!"? :P

------------------

Inactive Member DeanoatJaxBeach's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It was the 'pet' part that freaked me a little. Anita has her boa, I'm sure someone in this group has a tarantula, there are probably a couple other exotic pets as well. But a pet COBRA??!! Obviously, that has its risks.....

Again, I say Holy crap!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For anyone who still cares, Ekans today got to eat the baby mouse, as well as the rat. He's now curled up in his tank, although outside his log. I REALLY don't think he'll be going anywhere for a while. Digestion is an ordeal wherein he "assumes the position."

Gee...where have I heard that before?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Deano: Yeah, I wouldn't have a poisonous snake in the house either, but perhaps the better question might be HOW the snake got the mites. #1 DID tell me that after Ekans had spent 3 months in her wall, he lurched out, totally discolored, emaciated, and with a TICK stuck in his head. Ticks are bigger than mites, but they BOTH hurt when removed. She had to hold his head to remove that tick, while using a tweezers to remove it.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast