Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
    Spatula Gal said:
    I think putting Kurt on ice indicates that someone at marvel is trying to find a way to fix him, or looking for a writer with some ideas for him. They are working something out for the character. I think we should tell marvel to lose the priest crap on Nighty and never let cc write him again. I don't think they pay much attention to internet message boards, unless its fandom. So let's all send an email, or a letter, expressing our demands. We need to get more proactive, or cc will be writing the damned NC LS !!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spatch may be on to something there in the "7 Fav X-Men" thread. Proactivism saved Cable from cancellation. They will listen if there are enough voices. Constructive letters are taken much more seriously than emails. We could do something similar to what Knighty did on the Ultimate X-Men/Mark Miller thing. We could all have input on a letter then condense it. Not attacking Marvel, but just suggesting we don't want to see him forgotten and retconned into stupidity. It needs to be proofread to within an inch of it's life and signed, not literally, by everyone on the board willing. With our real names. No one is gonna take 'Slartibartfast' seriously. If somebody had a problem using their real name, and if this letter is just to Editorial with no intention of trying to get it into one of the X-books, then just I could know the real names. Or KC and I.

I'd be willing to work on it. Several of us would be good proofreaders. We could start a thread and use it only for input for the letter. Let it stay up for a couple weeks and then start condensing until we got something everyone participating was happy with.

Think we can do it? I do. Think we will? It's up to you all.

biggrin

[This message has been edited by Slartibartfast (edited February 02, 2001).]

Inactive Member The French Biscuit's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Super bon! Oui, I agree zhat e-mails just aren't taken zhat seriously zhese days. Heck, maybe zhey never will. But since I zhink you are all cool and trustworthy I'll go along with you. smile
    As zhe old cliche goes, where do I sign?

---
    Don't mess with me, I'm French!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Sounds like a great idea. I am all ears. Anything to keep our man in action.

------------------
    Always watching from the shadows...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd love to help. smile Its so frustrating to really be getting into this recently only to find out it could all end so soon...

And I'd be happy to lend my assistance as a proofreader, if you need someone.

Jyuu-chan
    (Tired... so tired... but new Evo tomorrow... *sighs* So only 5 hours of sleep... joy...)

[This message has been edited by Jyuu-chan (edited February 03, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A group letter is a good idea Slarti. If I was just sending in my own letter I'd probably be ranting and raving and totally negative. Couple of months back I sent a letter, and it took me a long time to tone it down. I don't think it went over very well. I must have just sounded nutz. They probably file-13ed it. Anyway let me know how I can help.

------------------
    It's all you need in souperheroes and haute cuisine:
    Culinary_X

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Yay! Ze Biscuit has climbed aboard the Save Nighty bandwagon! Who's next?
    biggrin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll help too. Or try too... Did anyone see the 1st 10 minuts of Evo today? I missed them, tell me what happened please.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

I have a degree in English, so I'll be more than happy to lend my editorial skills...and my signature. Hand me the pen!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is something I spent about an hour of my life on and posted on the Whizzer board, where it made no impression at all. So I figured I'll try to make thebest of it and offer it as material for the letter.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>This is why I find priest-kurt unbelievable. This is supposed to be a world where mutants are feared and hated. I find it a stretch to believe that an organized religious body would allow a mutant, especially a notorious terrorist (which is how the x-men are perceived by the public) with such a bizarre appearance, to enroll and attend seminary. True, Kurt could use his image inducer to hide his real identity, but that kind of subterfuge would seem to conflict with the self-expectations of an aspiring priest as I see it. Assuming he does somehow get into seminary, it would take years of study for him to become a priest, and to get his own church. Kurt seems to have a church in only six months! And there are no parishioners. No seminary, no books, no teachers except for a vague mention of them. The only logical conclusion is that he had just snuck into an abandoned church and started playing priest. And on top of that, he's still running around in spandex, kicking people upside their heads!

As for why I really detest priest-kurt: he's boring. That is unforgivable in a comic book character. His personality is one-dimensional. All he does is talk about God this and God that. Go back 5 or 10 years. NC had a lot more range, which included his religious beliefs but wasn't limited to that. Now, I like NC's religiousness, but it was just stupid to make him a priest because of that. claremont could have made a priest character from scratch, and he may (or may not, cc seems to have become a hopeless hack) have been a cool character. But no, he took a round character like NC and shoved him into a square hole. Stripped everything away except for the religiousness, and made it overbearing. A Catholic priest lives in my neighborhood. "Priesting" is his job, and when he's done, he comes home and acts like a regular guy. He doesn't go around being a one-note fanatic like NC has been.

Now they could take him two ways from here...he could quit the x-men and get serious about his studies, which means no more Nighty in the comics cuz whose going to buy that?...or he could quit the priest thing altogether, which will just make him look even stupider than he looks now. cc really ****ed up a cool character.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does sounds pretty negative, I wouldn't mind if someone edited a more positive spin out of it.

------------------
    It's all you need in souperheroes and haute cuisine:
    Culinary_X

[This message has been edited by Spatula Gal (edited February 03, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

More positive? You couldn't make it more positive without making it less effective. Don't try to sugar coat it; they totally screwed up and if they don't know it already, someone should tell them. You didn't come off as crazy and you gave a lot of evidence to support your points. Keep it the way it is.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast