Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <CENTER>[B]<U>Ahhh! Those so-called good old days...</U></CENTER>

I Can't Believe You Made It! If you lived as a child in the 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's...

Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have...

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the
    back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no
    childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes,
    we had no helmets. (Not to mention hitchhiking to town as a young kid!)
    We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. HORRORS!

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day - No cell phones. UNTHINKABLE!!

We played dodgeball and sometimes the ball would really hurt. We got cut, and broke bones, and broke teeth, and there were no law suits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame, but us. Remember accidents???

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.
    We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank sugar soda, but we were never overweight...we were always outside playing! We shared one grape soda with four friends, from one bottle and no one died from this.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, video games at all, 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, Personal Computers, Internet chat rooms ... we had friends. We went outside and found them. We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them. IMAGINE SUCH A THING! Without asking a parent! By ourselves! Out there in the cold cruel world! Without a guardian. How did we do it?

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live
    inside us forever. [img]eek.gif[/img]

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't, had to learn to deal with disappointment..... Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade......Tests were not adjusted for any reason. UNBELIEVABLE!

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

Yet, this generation has produced some of the best risk takers, and problem solvers, and inventors, ever. The past 50 years has been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And if you're one of them. ............Congratulations! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Woooooooo Hoooooooo!!! I'm a child of the 70's!! I remember all that. It's just a shame that my kids will never experience everything that I got to experience. [img]frown.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LL, that brought back so many memories!! I remember my parents never having to lock the doors at night. Riding my bike around the block by myself, never having to worry about being hurt or taken. My boys still love being outside more than being inside. I guess because they never had all that video junk in their rooms. My girls have a tv, vcr and nintendo in their room, but they still prefer playing outside. I can even remember walking to school every day, never fearing being kidnapped or killed. And when I did misbehave, I got my ass whipped. Now if you spank your child, it's child abuse. WTF is up with that? Where did those days go? I wish things were still like that now.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

YEAH, WITH ALL THE STUFF THEY HAVE TODAY THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE TO USE THEIR IMAGINATIONS TO PLAY WITHOUT ALL THAT! I REMEMBER PLAYING KICK THE CAN AND HIDE AND GO SEEK AND STAYING OUTSIDE TILL WAY PAST DARK. IF WE DIDN'T HAVE TOYS, WE WOULD MAKE THINGS UP. JOPE ROPE AND RACES WERE ALWAYS FUN! WE DIDN'T SIT INFRONT OF THE T.V. ALL DAY, WE COULDN'T WAIT TO GET OUTSIDE! ALL JOHN SAY'S IS, I'M BORED! WITH ALL THE STUFF IN HIS ROOM, YOU WOULD THINK IT WAS A TOY STORE! CAN'T EVEN SEND HIM TO HIS ROOM FOR MISBEHAVIN CUZ WITH THE T.V. AND THE STEREO AND PLAYSTATION , GAME BOY, AND ETC. HE DOESN'T MIND GOING TO HIS ROOM! LOL! HELL, WISH SOMEONE WOULD SEND ME TO HIS ROOM! BUT THINGS HAVE CHANGED AND THEY SURE DID MISS ALOT, I THINK. I JUST WISH I COULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I had a TV and stereo in my room when I was a teenager but if I got grounded, I was allowed to watch TV and all but they would take my phone out of my room!!! Now that KILLED ME!!! LMAO!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really don't care. If one of mine starts acting up in a store, I will pop them on the behind. Let someone say something to me!!
    I exchanged words with a lady at LAX once. Jacob was a baby...just a few months old. Jared was 2. I had a kiddie leash on him. I never normally used it but here I was with a 3 month old, my purse, diaper bag and a carry-on and John had another diaper bag (even 2 yr olds need a diaper bag when you are on a plane all day lol). He also had another large carry-on. I thought it was better to have the kiddie leash on him that take the chance of some deranged lunatic snatching him up and running off with him. I've heard all kinds of stuff about LAX...I wasn't taking my chances. This older woman made some kind of comment about me treating my child like an animal!! I was already in a bad mood being on a plane with 2 kids so I unloaded on her ass!! I told her I was thinking about my childs safety and that she needed to mind her own fuckin business!! [img]mad.gif[/img]
    Some people don't know when to keep their damn mouths shut!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It didn't bother Jared either. He didn't seem to mind at all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welllllll.....I don't remember this, but I heard about it from my mom enough....lol! When I was about 3 years old, my mom bought one of those to put on me when we'd go downtown. I was her only child and she was scared to death I'd dart out into the street and get run over.

Seems I was (was?) a little on the bull-headed side, and she said when she'd put it on me and start down the sidewalk, I'd just sit down on the curb and wouldn't move until she took it off of me. Needless to say, she got no use out of whatever li'l investment she made in that leash! [img]smile.gif[/img]

But lookin' at it from the "mom" side of things, I don't see a thing in the world wrong with usin' one - beats chasin' a kid all over the place! [img]eek.gif[/img] I'd have told that woman off too - BIG TIME!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Geez!!!!! You should have told her that you'd take the leash off if she's carry all the diaperbags and the baby for you.

What a bitch! That sure makes me angry too [img]mad.gif[/img]

As a kid I remember that when me, my brother and parents went sailing (we went very often) and when it was really stormy my parents would put a leash to mine and my brother's life vests. It never even bothered me! Just good to keep us on board the darn boat if it's rocking hard and there's a chance of one of us flying overboard lol.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think they are great for places like busy airports, fairs or carnivals, etc. I don't use mine anymore...no need to. We went to the fair in Oct. and I held Jacob's hand and if we were about to get into a crowd, Jared would grab the belt loop on my jeans and hold on lol. It's so much easier once they get older!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast